Gransnet forums

Chat

Animals

(9 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 01-Jun-16 17:34:41

My DGD aged nearly 11 is a real lover of the natural world, but she lives in a flat, so a hamster (which died) is the best that can be managed at present.

I want to try and find her a junior naturalists organisation for her to join; or a suitable magazine that I could subscribe to for her.

Anyone got any ideas?

I found one online but it was aimed at 7 -11 and looked a bit young for her. I was very careful when typing in naturalist to spell it right!!

Jane10 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:48:56

Is there a nearby city farm? Sometimes there's volunteer opportunities. My DGS recently had an absolutely brilliant time at a junior zookeeper day. It was expensive but better than the sea of plastic that children seem to have these days- TV related toys I mean!

Willow500 Wed 01-Jun-16 19:59:33

What about an ant farm- they're fascinating to watch I believe and wouldn't take much looking after or much room.

Anya Wed 01-Jun-16 20:21:07

YOC? Young Ornithologists Club. It's the junior branch of the RSPB

Anya Wed 01-Jun-16 20:23:25

www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/families/children/

Deedaa Wed 01-Jun-16 21:13:49

Your County Naturalists' Trust should have a children's club arranging interesting events.

Luckygirl Wed 01-Jun-16 21:30:40

Thanks for all the ideas. I have bought her a junior RSPCA membership, which includes several magazines a year - so that is a start. I will look at the RSPB link and also the zookeeper for the day idea.

rubylady Thu 02-Jun-16 01:36:56

The PDSA do memberships too for young people. smile

SueDonim Thu 02-Jun-16 11:34:30

You could sponsor a donkey at the Donkey Sanctuary in Devon for her. They send newsletters etc and you can visit any time if you live nearby.

www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk