Gransnet forums

Chat

hostess trolley

(90 Posts)
peaceatlast Mon 06-Jun-16 16:11:46

Over the years I have had various hostess trolleys and have found them to be quite useful. My family, whilst being more than willing to partake of the hot food, make a bit of a joke of me having one.

Anyway, I am currently thinking of updating mine to one of those brushed steel versions and just wondered if anyone has one or are they really so naff?

I do cook/entertain a lot and can afford a new one.

kittylester Tue 07-Jun-16 07:59:31

Alea, TWO! shock You could be very kind and let me have one!

Alea Tue 07-Jun-16 08:02:41

Fat chancegrin
When I thought the one in the spare bedroom had died (plug had become dislodged) I was inconsolable!!

Nelliemoser Tue 07-Jun-16 08:25:32

Katek my first thought as well!
Alea Were you hoping to be bent backwards over it?

Alea Tue 07-Jun-16 08:28:35

???

Nelliemoser Tue 07-Jun-16 08:36:05

We bought a teasmade from early in our married life when OH got extra pay for some unsocial hours work.

It was a wonderful machine while we were working.
We were woken up a cup of tea ready to take downstairs and pour. I could shower and dress while it was mashing and it really knocked a few minutes off the time to get out of the door.
Ours died a few years ago and I didn't replace it was not needed in the same way once we retired and had more time.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Jun-16 08:42:57

I love my trolley, wouldn't be without it. I only came to the party about 6 years ago after years of regularly juggling trays and dishes in one small single oven, catering for up to 15, and swearing like a trooper about it every time. I should have got it years ago! I haven't a lot of spare room, but it sits in the hall, full of all the china/cutlery I only need when the hordes family descend.

Alea, a friend offered me a "spare" trolley last week. She's got three and thinks she can probably manage with just two now. shock

annsixty Tue 07-Jun-16 09:02:57

I think Alea is talking trouser press. V uncomfortable being bent backwards over one of those. Too narrow you understand.

moobox Tue 07-Jun-16 10:34:47

Flying solo for the first time, willsmadnan, gives a sense of achievement. I think the first time I did that the power went off for the night as my 2 guests arrived at the door!

As for trolleys, I don't really cook like that, so wouldn't benefit

Grannyjacq1 Tue 07-Jun-16 10:57:27

Got rid of our Hostess Trolley when we moved house and realised that we hadn't used it for over a year. Put it on ebay (collect only) and v surprised to get over £50 for it - which is probably more than we paid for it initially!

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Jun-16 11:26:41

Though two pushed together might work better, annsixty Actually, thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I saw one, so it's hard to work out the logistics wink

NonnaAnnie Tue 07-Jun-16 11:56:11

I did have one once, a cast off I gave a home. I used it once and although I plugged it in I forgot to switch it on........I never used it again.

AnnieGran Tue 07-Jun-16 12:44:26

I sold my hostess trolley and large 60's Kenwood mixer with all the extras on ebay when I moved house. Biggest mistake ever. I should have been warned by the high auction prices I got for them. If I remember correctly over a hundred for the trolley; well over for the Kenwood. And that was nine years ago.

Time and time again I remember how useful they were. I had messages from both the buyers, one with a large family and one a charity caterer, saying how much they were enjoying using them. Drat!

Don't sell them - find room, build a bigger kitchen.

Now I would like an extra freezer so I can buy more meat on special offer and some nice things from our local pork farm shop.

I have often fancied a teasmade, especially on the mornings my Ever Loving has a lie in. I might have a look on ebay......

tigger Tue 07-Jun-16 13:21:30

Do you really need a new one? The old ones are still more efficient and practical.

kittylester Tue 07-Jun-16 13:49:38

My second one was £50 on eBay.

peaceatlast Tue 07-Jun-16 14:05:37

Enjoying your replies and perceptions here.

Do I really need a new one? No, of course not. I actually have 3 just now but one has no dishes. I got mine years ago, in the 80s and lent it to a friend and didn't like to ask to have it back. Meanwhile I picked up a second hand (immaculate) one from a local forum. The gliding mechanism on the top wasn't great but it was usable. Someone else offered me a newer one but wanted to keep the dishes. I took it and married up the best bits with the intention of freecycling the one with no dishes. These can be purchased on Ebay. Again meanwhile, my friend moved house and offered me back my own one which I am going to take, because it is the newest of all of them. I am about to pass on the "refurbished" one to my daughter in law, the one that has no dishes but which still is useful as a warming cabinet, I will pass on and that leaves me with my own one. However, my friend has one of those brushed steel ones and it is very nice so I am considering getting one and giving my original one to my niece who has just bought a flat in London and she likes to entertain.....

So, no, I don't need a new one at all really but, I can see myself going for a new one.

breeze Tue 07-Jun-16 14:36:06

I have an ancient flat glass hot tray. Been useful over the years for standing pots and pans on at gatherings but recently my sister said she'd thrown hers away as a friend plugged hers in and it exploded. I've probably owned it for ooh, 25 years maybe, and am thinking covering guests in exploding glass and food may cause them to leave! Been looking for a replacement in stainless steel but they either have glass dishes inside, or are too small. My 'may explode' current one is 28in x 12in. Does anyone own a stainless steel one they can recommend?

Hattiehelga Tue 07-Jun-16 15:09:08

I have had mine for 42 years and use it regularly. It is an absolute boon when all the family come for Sunday Lunch (ten in total). Yes, there is general amusement that I have got it but I think I have the last laugh.

ginny Tue 07-Jun-16 15:59:22

I've had my trolley for over 30 years and I love it. So so usefull when trying to feed lots of people with hot food all at the same time.

Don't care if anyone laughs.

chrissyh Tue 07-Jun-16 16:22:36

I had the old style fake mahogony trolley and used it everytime we had friends for dinner or when all our family got together. When we downsized I got rid of it but missed it so have bought a table top one. It only has 3 dishes as opposed to 4 in the cabinet style and my plates a a bit large for the warmer bit at the bottom but it does take the stress out of trying to get everything ready at the same time. About half an hour is the longest things are in there.

NanKate Tue 07-Jun-16 16:48:15

My DinL borrows mine at Xmas and thinks it's wonderful. I will have to leave it to her. grin

Would not be without mine. Glass containers, stainless steel tops and the table top variety.

ravenmad Tue 07-Jun-16 18:02:13

Marmight, you should write comedy, your description of Sunday lunch had me in stitches smile

harrysgran Tue 07-Jun-16 19:07:28

My family think my hostess trolley is a family joke but it comes out every Christmas and makes life much easier it's a bit of a tradition as whoever is providing the lunch as my two daughters and myself take turns comes on Christmas eve and collects it it's been in the family over twenty years

JanT8 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:08:14

I inherited mine from a very dear elderly friend. When we lived close I often borrowed it if the need arose.
I still have it, covered up in the garage, and it comes out perhaps twice a year. However, even though my children make a joke of it, it either goes on occasions to my daughter who lives locally, or we lug it down to Kent for our son and daughter-in-law to use.
I certainly would never have bought one myself but have to say they are so useful on occasions.

Thebeeb Tue 07-Jun-16 21:56:51

Had my hostess trolly for about 40 years same time as DH. Probably both a bit naff but think I will hang on to them both.

As for the Kenwood Chef got mine with Greenshield Stamps about 43ish years ago.

MaizieD Tue 07-Jun-16 22:30:16

My mother gave me hers about 30 years ago when she decided she didn't need it any more (we never throw anything out in our family!). We'd always scoffed at it but, though it's just ugly bit of furniture most of the time, I find it very useful if we have a lot of people to feed and there's no room for veg on the table. I think it must be 40+ years old now but still going strong.

The only mishap I've had with it was when the Christmas sprouts were accidently left inside it (not by me) and we didn't discover the source of the truly dreadful smell until 6 months later blush