Gransnet forums

Chat

Yesterday ....

(33 Posts)
jogginggirl Fri 10-Jun-16 09:31:17

... half of the lounge ceiling fell into the lounge?

A leak from the en-suite shower room - what a flippin' mess...

Anyone else just feel like diving under the duvet for a couple of weeks sometimes...?

rosesarered Tue 14-Jun-16 14:23:01

eek! Hope that you were not in there at the time?What a mess. Hope it gets sorted quickly.I know from experience that the thing to do is to get it dried out fast, hope the insurers are helpful.

hildajenniJ Tue 14-Jun-16 14:26:01

Our bathroom wall developed a bulge and the tiles dropped off. Caused by a leak from the en-suite shower room above. The leak had to be located and fixed and the bathroom wall reporters and tiled. Only problem was, we were trying to sell the house at the time. Viewings were a nightmare!

hildajenniJ Tue 14-Jun-16 14:26:52

Re-plastered.

KatyK Tue 14-Jun-16 14:28:38

Our kitchen ceiling fell in due to a leak in the bathroom a couple of years ago. Plaster and rubble everywhere, chipped cupboards and worktops, water cascading down. sad I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Nonnie1 Tue 14-Jun-16 15:55:21

Joggingirl, the same thing happened to us last year only it was a leak from the shower which brought down half the dining room ceiling.

I am still waiting for the plasterer to come a year later. It's sort of become a fixture now sad My partner wants to see if it leaks again before he commits us to a new ceiling. I'll be trimming it up for Christmas this year if he doesn't get his finger out and sort it !

jogginggirl Tue 14-Jun-16 17:44:52

Thank you for the flowers Anya - I've put them next to those from Maggiemaybe smile

We were recommended a Loss Assessor by our builder/decorator - I had never even heard of one before!!! As you say - he will cost nothing and has already taken some of the weight off us ?

We have now removed all soft furnishings, all wood furniture etc... and there is a flippin' enormous dehumidifier in place. The concern about the floor is that we also have underfloor heating.... and one section of the wall is also recording high levels of humidity. It may well be that some of the water has found its way in there...... ?

Anyway, I have decided that I can't do anything about it now so I am going to try and forget about it... LOL and leave it to those who can fix it!! Luckily we have another room and I am being kept very busy with mum which is probably a good thing right now! No furniture has been damaged as we moved everything just in time (good job as it was a new three piece suite ?) Could be so much worse - mustn't grumble ?

Thank you for your offers of help though - much appreciated ❤️
And well done on the 100 days effort - I'm no alcohol just now but it might not last too long...??

Maggiemaybe Wed 15-Jun-16 09:54:54

Our little "Challenge" group from yesteryear (yestermonth??) has had its fair share of challenges since the heady days of dry months and power walking sad The silver lining is that we have advice on tap concerning such little-known things as loss assessors.

My own brush with collapsing ceilings was when we had a gas explosion in our street. It wiped out two and a half houses, but we thought ours had escaped, despite the thump we all felt as it was lifted by a giant hand and dropped back down. After a long day, I lay back in a lovely relaxing bubble bath and looked up to see that one side of the bathroom ceiling was descending gently towards me...

I'm donning my tin hat now in case the curse of the challenge group continues grin