Gransnet forums

Chat

Yesterday ....

(32 Posts)
jogginggirl Fri 10-Jun-16 09:31:17

... half of the lounge ceiling fell into the lounge?

A leak from the en-suite shower room - what a flippin' mess...

Anyone else just feel like diving under the duvet for a couple of weeks sometimes...?

obieone Fri 10-Jun-16 09:33:25

Oh no oh no
I have dreams about that.

So sorry

annsixty Fri 10-Jun-16 09:37:35

What a nightmare for you. I would definitely do the duvet thing but assume you won't be able to use the loo.or has it even taken some bedroom floor?

Teetime Fri 10-Jun-16 09:38:26

Oh Heavens - I hope you insured!!! How horrible for you I suppose its small consolation but if it has to happen at all better to happen in the summer than the winter. Good Luck clearing up the mess and finding a good builder to put all to rights. flowers

hulahoop Fri 10-Jun-16 09:39:08

Oh that's rotten my mum once went in loft and her leg came through ceiling unfortunately I was underneath wasn't hurt couldn't stop laughing I was a teenager think I would cry now ?

Luckygirl Fri 10-Jun-16 09:41:27

Oh - that will be a mess! I do hope you are properly insured. When we made a claim they were incredibly efficient and everything was repaired to a far higher standard than it was before! So there may be a silver lining somewhere - start choosing some new carpet!

Greyduster Fri 10-Jun-16 10:05:50

Gosh I do sympathise with you. We had a leak from our ensuite shower a couple of years ago. I noticed water dripping in front of the door from the hall into the kitchen, and it was also coming through one if the spotlights in the new kitchen ceiling, which it made a complete mess of. Fortunately we have a plumber living next door who came and sorted it out before it got any worse. The valve in the shower had worn away and it hadn't been in that long.

annodomini Fri 10-Jun-16 10:26:19

When my bath developed a crack, the kitchen ceiling din't quite come down, but all the lighting had to be replaced and the ceiling re-plastered. When my GSs had a bit too much fun in the bath, DS and his partner didn't notice that they were suspiciously quiet. The bath overflowed and the hall ceiling came down, which resulted in a massive insurance claim. My sympathies, jogging. I hope your insurers move fast.

Indinana Fri 10-Jun-16 11:44:59

Oh no, what a calamity! We had something similar many years ago when DD, then aged 3, left the bathroom taps on with the plug in. The whole of the back of the upstairs was about an inch deep in water, and it was pouring through all the weak spots in the kitchen/diner ceiling, notably the light fitting shock. I turned off the electricity and waited for everything to dry out - about 48 hours - and then DH had to replace the ceiling which was seriously bowing in places.
I do hope you manage to get this sorted quickly from under your duvet flowers

vampirequeen Fri 10-Jun-16 11:58:31

Phone your insurance then crawl back under your duvet and pretend it hasn't happened.

harrigran Fri 10-Jun-16 12:02:59

Nightmare. We have had water through the kitchen ceiling from en-suite shower and a couple of weeks ago several radiators sprung leaks and dripped through the music room and kitchen ceilings. The plumber arrived before the ceiling fell down but my ceilings are stained brown now.
I know hoe you feel jogginggirl, you just want to hide under the duvet.

Auntieflo Fri 10-Jun-16 12:03:04

Oh Jogginggirl, what a mess, are you OK? I have a fear of something disastrous happening with the water. When I was living at home, the hot water tank used to be in my bedroom, and used to make peculiar noises. Then when Mum and Dad were staying with us once, she noticed a stain on the ceiling, and when investigated, found that the hot water cylinder had sprung a tiny leak, that when released from it's lagging, shot up like a mini fountain. My clever Dad cut a leather washer and put a self tapping screw into the tank. It held good and tight until the tank was replaced. Hope your insurers are on the job and that the repairs don't take too long

grannylyn65 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:08:10

????☹️

POGS Fri 10-Jun-16 12:59:55

Jogginggirl

What a mess. I guess it's one of those look for the silver lining times and be glad nobody was hurt but very difficult to do.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:29:42

Oh dear joggingirl feel your pain!
Ours came down during Christmas week a few years ago.
Hopefully you will soon get sorted.
brew if you can manage it under the duvet.

cornergran Fri 10-Jun-16 14:03:53

I also can feel your pain joggingirl. Same thing happened to us a few years back, it was fine when we went out but a waterfall when we returned. I narrowly avoided an electric shock as my instinct was to put on the light to see, bad plan as the switch was running with water. How silly was that? blush. Really scary but the insurers brought in three of those huge dehumidifies, dried us out, put in a new ceiling and several new carpets. All was well than ended well but it was both stressful and worrying in the beginning. It will be sorted, honestly. Hope the phone is working under the duvet. brew and cupcake on its way to you.

kittylester Fri 10-Jun-16 14:35:15

What a nightmare - hope you are ok. wine

jogginggirl Fri 10-Jun-16 15:03:15

Just crawling out from under the duvet, thank you all for the cakes, tea and sympathy - although they've made a terrible mess of the bed ??

Insurance is up to date thank goodness. We had literally a few minutes before the ceiling caved in and managed to move the rugs and the brand new three piece suite just before it all fell! DH was standing close by and is a little bruised and battered today but no lasting damage ❤️

We have a builder coming around on Monday afternoon so the ball is rolling... hope it continues to move at this pace ?

Just off to fetch diva 2 from school - she always makes me smile and you have all helped me to get this whole thing into perspective. It could have been so much worse.
Thank you flowers

Newquay Fri 10-Jun-16 16:32:49

We had a switch fitted next to the sink y ears ago-like a stop gap but so much easier to use and quite cheap to install too.
So when you go out you at least switch the water off.
Yes I know, stable door and horses!
Do hope you get sorted soon, so glad insurance is ok?

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Jun-16 10:10:04

Oh blimey, jg, what have you gone and done now?! And here's me feeling harrassed because we had our sofas and carpet cleaned yesterday and can't use our front room today (at least we've got one!). Here are some flowers to sit atop the rubble. Hope you get it all sorted out very quickly. I am shock at the thought of you and DH heaving furniture about as the sky was falling down, but well done, both of you.

jogginggirl Sat 11-Jun-16 15:06:17

LOL Maggiemaybe - thank you for the flowers they are lovely! I will put them in the kitchen where I can admire them.... We are lucky enough to have another sitting room so all is not lost! And there is always wine ?

We have the builder/decorator and an assessor coming in on Monday so it's moving on...

Hope your carpets and sofa are smelling sweet today and are soon dry enough to sit on smile

jogginggirl Tue 14-Jun-16 14:15:02

Well, the news from 'those in the know' is not good. It seems the water has found its way into places we hadn't thought about ? Now it certainly looks as if the oak floor is affected too... current estimation for finish of job - around end August ...? But before that, the rest of the ceiling in that half of the room has to come down too ? We have to hope that our insurers are feeling generous ...?

Dives back under the duvet with brew and cupcake

Anya Tue 14-Jun-16 14:19:49

Oh no JG I have missed this thread. So, so sorry. I know what it's like yo gave your house in the hands of the insurers. Who are your Loss Adjusters? Do you have your in Loss Assessor? You need the latter and I can recommend a very good one.

If you need any help dealing with them do get in touch. Water, like smoke, gets everywhere.

Anya Tue 14-Jun-16 14:20:33

flowers

Anya Tue 14-Jun-16 14:22:09

PS the Loss Assessor costs nothing and will take the weight off you.