Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes you laugh out loud?

(91 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:14:52

I've just read pheonix hilarious thread,
I'm just wondering what things tickle fellow G/Netters.
I love observational humour.
It is usually inoffensive and is shows the funny side of life.
When the DC were tiny we would watch Mike Harding, Jasper Carrot and Max Boyce all talking about stuff that we could relate to at that time.
Victoria Wood quipped about doing a French plait just as I was trying to get to grips with concept on DD hair!

annodomini Mon 13-Jun-16 10:17:41

Oh, and the original radio recordings of 'Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. Great scripting by the inimitable Douglas Adams who died too young.

oznan Mon 13-Jun-16 10:20:07

I also love "Would I lie to you,"guaranteed laugh out loud moments even when watching repeats!

Nonnie1 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:23:08

Watching old people dancing on 'You've been framed' and falling over has me in stitches

AllTheLs Mon 13-Jun-16 10:28:34

I agree with Shysal. Would I Lie To You always makes me laugh out loud. But the person that really has me in stitches is Michael McIntyre. He hits the spot every time. I went to see him live once and I wasn't just laughing out loud, I was crying with laughter. It actually hurt!

FreeSpirit1 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:47:53

Victoria Wood and her troupe, Father Ted, The Thick of It, Lenny Henry on Tizwass .............stil thinking ...........

Jane10 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:52:08

Bob Newhart was in the 'Big Bang Theory' as Professor Proton. Really good acting and very dry humour.

Indinana Mon 13-Jun-16 10:55:13

Anyone remember the Franglais books? Now they really made me laugh out loud! And I remember getting on the bus home from work one day and opening a book I'd just bought. It was Jerome K Jerome's Three Men in a Boat. Talk about hilarious! It was all I could do to stifle my laughter, but even so little bursts kept escaping. I had to close it in the end and wait till I got home. it was just too embarrassing grin

Scobbie102 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:59:35

Abbot and Costello do it for me,they have always maid me laugh,my husband says it's nice to hear me laugh as I don't laugh or smile enough.

Greyduster Mon 13-Jun-16 11:06:37

I loved Father Ted! The episode where they got lost in the department store was hilarious. Another character who made me laugh was Nyles Crane in 'Frasier'. He was wonderful. The restaurant scene in the episode called "Cherries Jubilee" had DH and I rolling on the floor it was so funny. Also the auction scene in the film Mouse Hunt, and though I'm not a big fan of slapstick, the scene in The Money Pit with Tom Hanks where he is floundering around on the building site. For sheer comedy timing, if nothing else, it can't be beaten. Ah, they all come rushing back! We used to laugh like loons at 'Some mothers do 'ave 'em" but the last time I watched it, I couldn't help wondering why.

Nonnie1 Mon 13-Jun-16 11:11:04

Greyduster.. agree about Father Ted. I love Mrs Doyle. I'd say she is the funniest on there but then there are so many instances where I have almost died laughing.

JanT2004 Mon 13-Jun-16 11:13:34

Mrs Browns boys makes me cry with laughter!, especially the bikini wax sketch. We have been to the live show 3 times and love it when they go off script. For some reason our DS and DD just don't get the humour at all.

Disgruntled Mon 13-Jun-16 11:20:47

Victoria Wood, Barry Cryer, Eric Morecombe, Jeremy Hardy, HIGNFY, the News Quiz, Heresy, Would I Lie to You.
Recently The Nap at the Crucible, anew play written by .Richard Bean and directed by Richard Wilson - wave after wave of shared laughter - the best tonic.

POGS Mon 13-Jun-16 11:25:38

Number

I posted a made up a poor mans version of a Bob Newhart sketch on the 'Abdication' thread , there is a you tube clip on there Elegran put up! He is a classic like Joyce Grenville.

Peter Kaye, he is so clever whether it be on stage or t.v show. I laugh at ' Would I lie to you' and 'Alright on the night' .

SwimHome Mon 13-Jun-16 11:33:29

I much prefer spontaneous humour than something contrived - someone 'telling a joke' doesn't often amuse. Books or radio do it for me, rather than TV. Perhaps my favourites are James Heriot's Vet books. I was reading one of them while I was in labour and was snorting with laughter. I love some of the 'old' humour on Radio 4Ex, though some of it is so dreadful and potentially offensive I'm amazed that they broadcast it again. But best of all is playing with the Grandchildren, not for repeatable anecdotes but just for sheer joy and laughter in the moment.

AGrandmaAgain Mon 13-Jun-16 11:43:25

The General Danced At Dawn and McAuslan In The Rough by George McDonald Fraser. Had tears streaming...sat in a park reading it once and was asked by kindly stranger if I was alright! Trying so hard not to laugh out loud. Worth reading more than once.

JackyB Mon 13-Jun-16 12:00:49

Our DGS (about 14 months at the time) was in the kitchen and the little timer went off - quick as a flash he picked it up, pressed the button to switch it off and held it to his ear!

A book which always has me in fits is probably now out of print : Richard Lederer - "Anguished English". It contains hundreds of misprints and misspellings and unintentional puns which often appeared as headlines or on signs in hotels and shops. E.g. "Judge rules over nude beach".

I love to pick it up and flick through it when I'm feeling a bit down.

He has his own website and has since published lots of books.

The last time I laughed out loud was at something on the Graham Norton show, but I've forgotten which one.

NanSue Mon 13-Jun-16 12:07:01

Michael McIntyre.

brenh34 Mon 13-Jun-16 12:35:25

Miranda Hart does it for me every time. The only comedian of either sex that makes me laugh out loud. My husband thinks I'm bonkers.

Jane10 Mon 13-Jun-16 12:43:54

Peter Kay and Michael McIntyre are current favourites. Victoria Wood was unbeatable -"Brushing off the Monster Munch crumbs from her fleece she said 'its my time now Derek'"! I think I heard her quote that on the Graham Norton show. He's very funny too. His Saturday morning show makes me drive very slowly to the shopping as I listen to it on the car radio always hoping to get stuck at red lights.

NannaM Mon 13-Jun-16 12:46:33

Simon Mayo's Confessions (Podcasts - BBC Radio 2), Victor Borge, ( the pronunciations episode gets me crying with laughter every time), Mrs. Browns Boys. Laughter really is the best medicine, isn't it? Thankyou for this post!

chicken Mon 13-Jun-16 12:50:55

Tony Hancock as a test pilot flying the plane when he hears a knocking on the windscreen, and it's Kenneth Williams asking "Can I come in?". Mrs Brown when she hides a vibrator up her knickerleg and it gets switched on.

Bluecat Mon 13-Jun-16 13:06:25

Victoria Wood - she was unique. "Modern Family" is, I think, the funniest comedy on tv at the moment but the all-time greatest was "Frazier." I've seen each episode so many times and they still make me laugh. I adore Niles, in particular.

Dillonsgranma Mon 13-Jun-16 13:12:27

Morecambe and Wise, every time!

Greyduster Mon 13-Jun-16 13:38:13

Bluecat, after I posted earlier today, I went onto you-tube and watched a snatch of Frasier. I was laughing so hard DH told me to be careful I didn't wet the sofa! Priceless!

cloverpark Mon 13-Jun-16 13:39:42

I too have always enjoyed Bill Bryson's books. I picked up his Road to Little Dribbling in a charity shop in Perth and was reading it on the train back to London. I just couldn't stop chortling out loud and pitied the businessman next to me working on his laptop. However, I was most surprised and disappointed to find him using the F word several times. I'm sure it hasn't appeared in his previous writings and it was completely unnecessary.