Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes you laugh out loud?

(91 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:14:52

I've just read pheonix hilarious thread,
I'm just wondering what things tickle fellow G/Netters.
I love observational humour.
It is usually inoffensive and is shows the funny side of life.
When the DC were tiny we would watch Mike Harding, Jasper Carrot and Max Boyce all talking about stuff that we could relate to at that time.
Victoria Wood quipped about doing a French plait just as I was trying to get to grips with concept on DD hair!

rubylady Sun 19-Jun-16 23:16:36

I'm glad you ordered it Cherry, I hope it comes in time for your travels too. Enjoy. X

Cherrytree59 Sun 19-Jun-16 23:00:47

Awaiting a Bob Newhart cd after being reminded of him on this thread
Hoping it arrives tomorrow before we leave for hols in Wales
DD is traveling back with us and to pass the time, I wanted play the cd in the car as she has never heard any of Bobs 'conversations'.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 19-Jun-16 21:57:09

Not at all. I think L&H were masters and for me they were by far the funniest of the earliest on screen comedians.

f77ms Sun 19-Jun-16 21:09:36

I am sure you will all think I am very childish but I absolutely love Laurel and Hardy slapstick .

JackyB Sun 19-Jun-16 17:16:17

Oh yes, I adore The Big Bang Theory and sometimes wet myself laughing. The characters are so endearing, too.

Some of the young stand-ups are very good, and some are jaw-droppingly gorgeous. My particular fancy at the moment is Danny Bhoy.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 19-Jun-16 13:18:56

The Big Bang Theory (watching once won't work, you need to get to know the characters). Watched every episode at least twice and I think there's been 10 series.

Everybody Loves Raymond (same thing applies).

The Americans are so good at writing characters we can all recognise.

Peter Kay and John Bishop.

Greyduster Sun 19-Jun-16 12:48:51

The Father's Day card my son sent which said "I'm only doing this for the Inheritance!"

Disgruntled Sun 19-Jun-16 10:48:13

Can I add David Sedaris?

numberplease Fri 17-Jun-16 17:19:00

There was a record much requested on Family Favourites many, many years ago, of Michael Bentine as a radio announcer reading out the football results. He was obviously checking his coupon at the same time, and getting more and more excited!
There was another recording of Peter Sellers as Richard 111, reciting the words to The Beatles hit A Hard Day`s Night, really had me in stitches.

breeze Fri 17-Jun-16 14:41:14

Hope this works. One of my favourites.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2To-pKMSg

Nonnie1 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:22:00

Someone asked Julian Clary if he would be having a baby with his partner recently.

His reply was a classic.

I don't have a womb grin

Tegan Fri 17-Jun-16 13:29:29

That's the one.I've actually saved the article itself but it's with piles and piles of other newspaper articles#couldbeanywheremightevenbesittingonit

Elegran Fri 17-Jun-16 13:03:25

Is this the link you were trying to post, Tegan?
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/01/john-finnemore-sea-otters-badgers

I like it! I like the humour, and I like his conclusion.

Tegan Fri 17-Jun-16 12:41:33

www.theguardian.com › Opinion › Bovine tuberculosis
..link won't work...mine never do sad It was The Guardian...

Tegan Fri 17-Jun-16 12:39:16

I read an article he wrote for [I think] The Observer and I was in tears [it was something about Otters confused]. Keep forgetting to watch out [listen out?] for programmes that he's on.

JackyB Fri 17-Jun-16 11:54:29

John Finnemore is the writer of Cabin Pressure (where Benedict Cumberbatch gained his first fame). He can also be heard on Just a Minute and occasionally on the Now Show where he is absolutely brilliant. Many first-time players of JaM take some warming up, but he got it right from the get-go.

I was going to mention his name earlier.

Falconbird Fri 17-Jun-16 10:20:48

Monty Pythons' - Philosophers' Song.

Old recordings of Round the Horn and Beyond our Ken.

Watching penguins always makes me smile. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Jun-16 15:14:49

From "Very British Problems".

"Concentrating so hard on the appropriate eye-contact-to-looking-away ratio that you have no idea what's being said to you"

Made me lol.

ellenemery Tue 14-Jun-16 14:42:11

Mrs Brown's bikini wax sketch made me cry with laughter. Trying to cool it down by opening and shutting the fridge door without saying anything but we knew what she (he) meant.

hulahoop Tue 14-Jun-16 08:18:09

Blaster bates experiences when working as demolition man. Some of Mrs Browns sketches .?

Jane10 Tue 14-Jun-16 07:33:33

I must read that snowedunder!

Snowedunder Mon 13-Jun-16 22:24:23

I couldn't stop laughing when I was reading Paul O'Grady's autobiography at the part when the headmaster appeared unannounced in the kitchen when his mother was getting a home perm. I can feel her pain and mortification.

Linsco56 Mon 13-Jun-16 21:14:58

Lee Mack's makes me laugh and his Irish jockey sketch is hilarious.

Harris27 Mon 13-Jun-16 21:11:41

Love peter Kay but Victoria wood is one person I will miss bless her

BBbevan Mon 13-Jun-16 20:27:09

I like Sarah Milligan also