Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes you laugh out loud?

(90 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:14:52

I've just read pheonix hilarious thread,
I'm just wondering what things tickle fellow G/Netters.
I love observational humour.
It is usually inoffensive and is shows the funny side of life.
When the DC were tiny we would watch Mike Harding, Jasper Carrot and Max Boyce all talking about stuff that we could relate to at that time.
Victoria Wood quipped about doing a French plait just as I was trying to get to grips with concept on DD hair!

Indinana Sun 12-Jun-16 21:45:29

Haha, when I saw the thread title in the Actives list, my immediate answer was phoenix. Then I opened the thread and read your OP grin

Jane10 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:47:29

Monkeys do it for me every time!

dramatictessa Sun 12-Jun-16 21:50:49

I like observational humour too, but I also love political satire. Having said that, I think Paul Merton is the funniest on Have I Got News because he doesn't go down the political route. Much of Bill Bryson's writing makes me laugh out loud.

numberplease Sun 12-Jun-16 22:03:36

They`re a little ancient now, but I have an LP of Bob Newhardt`s famous "telephone conversations". They used to have me in stitches, still would if I could still play them. I tend to shy away from comedians who think that they need smut and bad language to get a laugh. We went, many years ago, to a club in Manchester, to see Tom O`Connor. He was on for an hour and a half, and the whole club was kept laughing for all of that time, with not a single swear word or dirty joke uttered, wonderful evening.

Cherrytree59 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:19:22

Numberplease was that the American 'tobacco and potato' conversation?
I loved it when they played it on the radio.
Definitely a laugh out loud moment.

Marmark1 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:58:37

Pam Ayers,very very funny.
Some of the male hairstyles today,

Katek Sun 12-Jun-16 23:17:52

My 16 month old grandson who came wandering into the sitting room holding the spacer and mask for his 3 year old brother's inhaler to his face. It was just so incongruous - he's obviously been watching what to do.

Hunt Sun 12-Jun-16 23:27:43

There is only one programme that makes me laugh out loud and that is 'a question of sport'. They all seem to have such fun together, no one is ever unkind in what they say and the audience seem to love it too. Funny thing... I don't even like sport and never know any of the answers!

numberplease Sun 12-Jun-16 23:36:34

Cherrytree, that`s one of them, there`s another about a bus driver, can`t remember them all, wish we still had a record player, Bob Newhardt is/was so funny. Is he still with us?

numberplease Sun 12-Jun-16 23:42:13

Sorry Cherrytree, after a discussion here, I realised, it wasn`t a bus driver, but a driving instructor!

rubylady Mon 13-Jun-16 04:21:43

I've got Bob Newhardt on cd and play it regularly, I think I got it from Amazon. grin

rubylady Mon 13-Jun-16 04:23:34

Sorry, Bob Newhart. £7.00 Very Best Of Bob Newhart on Amazon cd.

NanKate Mon 13-Jun-16 07:17:28

Just a Minute radio 4 Monday at 6.30.

Paul Merton and Andy Hamilton both brilliant.

Lisalou Mon 13-Jun-16 07:35:08

Definitely Bob Newhart, Dave Allen, despite his language; he could laugh at himself. Pam Ayres...very few comedians today make me laugh tho.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArMf6xbMsLI

Another one i love

FarNorth Mon 13-Jun-16 07:40:38

Was just thinking of Dave Allen too. smile

Greyduster Mon 13-Jun-16 07:42:38

I have several recordings of 'Round the Horne' that never fail to make me laugh out loud. I also thought The News Quiz was very funny. Most recently, it was something DH read off Twitter, to the effect of "My mate has a ticket for the England match on Saturday, but he can't go because he's getting married on that day. If anyone would like to go in his place, it's at St Peter's in Cambridge and her name's Louise!" It's probably been around for a while, but I hadn't come across it and I fell about.

NanKate Mon 13-Jun-16 07:59:55

Love it Greyduster

'Ooh Mr Horne lovely to varda your jolly old eek. Jules come over here and say ello to Mr Horne'

I never realised at the time that it was the language of gay people.

joannapiano Mon 13-Jun-16 08:24:20

I love Tim Vine and his clever (and always clean) word play.
Example 'I went on the journey of a lifetime. I tell you what, never again!'

Katek Mon 13-Jun-16 08:39:51

'I'm Julian and this is my friend, Sandy'

'For 10 miles I swam, the last 3 were agony - they were over land!'

'What a lovely

Katek Mon 13-Jun-16 08:44:03

Half finished post - oops sorry! Quotes from some of the wonderful radio shows of the 50's, Round the Horne and The Goon Show.

Last one was going to be from Joyce Grenfell's nursery school sketch. Brilliant woman. 'Stately as a galleon she sailed across the floor...'

Jenty61 Mon 13-Jun-16 09:00:38

some of the posts on Gransnet! ?

Nelliemoser Mon 13-Jun-16 09:24:38

The greatly missed Victoria Wood. Radio 4 "The News Quiz" and "The Now Show." Father Ted.

shysal Mon 13-Jun-16 09:56:04

I agree with most of the posters above, including those liking Phoenix's tales.
I would add 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' and 'Would I Lie to You' to the list. It is nice to hear humour without swearing!

annodomini Mon 13-Jun-16 10:15:14

Fascinating Aida. Cheap Flights... Ofsted song... and many many more.