Gransnet forums

Chat

Boys will be boys?

(26 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 16-Jun-16 14:20:40

Yesterday we had DGS3 for the afternoon ( he is 4 and totally car mad.)

He has recently discovered hot wheels track and has become a dab hand at arranging it and setting up stunts and tricks.

Yesterday as a treat Grampy bought him a new set, and some extra tracks including a jump. I got a kiss and cuddle when he arrived but that was the last I saw of the two of them ! They sat on the lounge floor for an hour discussing options to set up and finding just the right car to undertake the stunts and then retired to the kitchen where the track ran across the unit, the sink and the drainer before curving down onto the floor, over the dogs bowl and ending up shooting out the back door! ( I wish I had taken a picture !!)

There is only a 59 year age gap between the two of them !!! Clearly not an issue !!

Do you have a young'old boy' who likes to relive their youth or is it just me?

Pippa000 Thu 16-Jun-16 14:26:29

Its Lego with our 'boys' father, son and grandson all on the floor making only they know what, at least it keeps them busy!!

LullyDully Thu 16-Jun-16 15:59:58

Yes Lego, they are not allowed to mix the sorted sets up. Not boys, one boy and one Lego mad girl.( not the silly pink stuff. )

Newquay Thu 16-Jun-16 16:13:57

There was a plastic train set here until recently and it used to go round living room through doors into Dining room, round table, out into hall. There were a few crossover places so these two trains spent ages whizzing round and you had to step over it. Happy days. . . Happy memories.

rosesarered Thu 16-Jun-16 16:15:01

Yes, Lego, trains and cars!

Liz46 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:17:57

My husband plays football with the grandson even though he knows he will be crippled (arthritis in his knees caused by rugby and football!) for days afterwards.

Greyduster Thu 16-Jun-16 17:32:09

Oh God, yes! Mine is 72 going on 7, and when he and our GS, 9, get together I might as well not be here. GS is not into cars now, but they still set football games up on the landing using Playmobil people, with elaborate stadiums made out of Lego and Knex -"don't come up here, Nanny, there's no room!" (good job we have a downstairs loo!). If it's not that, it's magnetic darts tournaments, also on the landing, or, the latest, Sumo wrestling, which involves mainly stuffing cushions up your jumper and crashing into each other!! The old 'un will do himself a real injury one of these days without a doubt. He's already come a cropper once by showing off hopping onto a stone near the edge of our local pond. Of course, the stone moved, didn't it, and Himself got a ducking, hurting his leg into the bargain and soaking his mobile phone. GS thought it was hilarious and "dined out" on it for ages!

Luckygirl Thu 16-Jun-16 17:49:50

I had all daughters - my many male GC are quite a puzzle to me! I have just collected a friend's boy from school and the smell of boy in the car is quite remarkable!

NanaandGrampy Thu 16-Jun-16 17:51:28

Oh thank goodness !! I thought I was the only one married to a child!!

I did laugh about the ducking Greyduster . I can see Grampys Pride going before a fall as he continues to be a sparring partner with our ninja Grandaughter.

I keep telling him she wears a gum sheild, chest guard and helmet for a reason ! Silly old duffer smile

anne53 Fri 17-Jun-16 09:03:14

We live near the sea and when our DGC come, two boys and a girl aged 5, 4 and 2, they always want to take buckets and spades down to the beach. DH spends ages building elaborate sand castles and I have a great picture of Grandad and Mum building a massive sand castle with ramp and helter skelter while the children played yards away! They never grow up really do they??

anne53 Fri 17-Jun-16 09:04:23

PS - we always take an extra bucket and spade for Grandad!

inishowen Fri 17-Jun-16 09:11:33

A few days ago I was minding my four year old granddaughter and she was a bit bored. I suddenly remembered a box of old toys in the wardrobe that had belonged to her mum, and her uncle. We spend a happy few hours getting everything out. She loved the recorder (!) and "played" many a tune. She also loved a box of small Disney figures. We've kept them out to be played with again.

I have a photo of DH playing in the sand at the park while GD goes off and does something else. She tells her dad to do a jigsaw and she will come back and tell him "good boy".

f77ms Fri 17-Jun-16 09:27:44

luckygirl what is the smell of boys!!!

Lego for us but with both GD and GS`s. Also taking electronic things apart. My other son lives with me and when the children arrive they all tear round looking for Uncle Paul because he will happily sit and play with them and make lego models reliving his childhood passion , I think he enjoys it as much as they do .

HannahLoisLuke Fri 17-Jun-16 09:53:07

I love that childlike quality that so many men still have. It makes them great dads and grandads.
It can also be very funny when their antics get them into hot water.

Teetime Fri 17-Jun-16 10:27:13

DH taught our granddaughter to play Poker when she was about 10 - she took to it straight away.

gillybob Fri 17-Jun-16 10:33:20

My DGS is 6 and he's football mad. He plays in a couple of teams and he's really very good for his age but his dad (my son) and my DH are more into motor racing than football.

As many of you know I lost my mum at the beginning of April and my poor dad (who had looked after her for a long time) is a bit lost. My dad is a lifetime Newcastle united supporter (season ticket holder) and recently my dear little grandson and his great grandad have enjoyed their shared interest. Bless him my dad isn't as light on his feet as he was, so tends to end up as Goalie and lets more in than he scores . But little one doesn't seem to see the 70+ years age gap. smile

Greyduster Fri 17-Jun-16 10:33:45

Perhaps it was just that boy, Luckygirl? I have often transported GS and a couple of his friends from the park after strenuous games of footie, and have never noticed that any of them smell. How old is the boy?

sallyswin Fri 17-Jun-16 15:13:01

After DGS commented "Auntie is much better at building lego than you are Daddy, DS says her isn't going to invite his sister over again! At Christmas when asked what his best presents were he replied "Star wars and Auntie Rachel". She'd bought him the lego and helped him build it. A very popular Auntie who never wanted children - Tiny Tears was abandoned when she found you had to change its nappy!

Bijou Fri 17-Jun-16 15:39:13

When my son Mike's boys were young their friends would knock at the door and ask if Mike could come out to play.

ClaraB Fri 17-Jun-16 21:23:30

Our son moved out in January and immediately the Scalextric track went down in his old room. There were eBay deliveries of new track until it filled the whole room! We had decided that this room would become the dining room but I'm not sure when now!

Gaggi3 Fri 17-Jun-16 22:02:35

My DGS (7) and DH are like two old boys in the pub when playing cribbage. In more active moments they have sword fights, I play indoor football with DGS and we all play baseball in the garden.

Willow500 Sat 18-Jun-16 06:03:32

Not sure they ever grow up really. My son is 44 and took his father (62) into a big boys toys store recently - the result was a £100 drone moment of madness which was assembled and tested once they were home. It's now back in it's box in the garage having taken out the light fitting, the pot pourie bowl and all the heads off my flowers in the garden! Said son went back to his home with a virtual reality headset which is also languishing in it's box in his 'man cave' grin

Purpledaffodil Sat 18-Jun-16 06:12:41

DH and DGS have shared interests too; building complex Brio train tracks AND watching Heartbeat together as a before bedtime treat (DGS's bedtime, not DH's)
The sight of them cuddled together in an armchair discussing what Oscar may do next is quite heartwarmingsmile

Marmark1 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:54:49

Also curious as to what boys smell like.

NanaandGrampy Sat 18-Jun-16 09:25:12

Purple I laughed at the Heartbeat comment until DH reminded me that all our grandchildren have sat through every episode of The Walton's with me ! There was a point when asked our DGD ( now 9) would tell you they were Nana's family smile not sure how she came to that conclusion on why she thought they were on TV though!