Gransnet forums

Chat

DH going out

(44 Posts)
overthehill Sun 19-Jun-16 11:22:27

On leaving the house my DH more or less just goes. Example of this going on a bus yesterday and hadn't picked up his bus pass till I reminded him.

We have just come back from a holiday in Devon with our caravan on the way home he left his raincoat in the van so had to use mine at the stop over.

Whilst away it was a beautiful sunny day (hard to believe I know) so we decided to go to the nearby beach, take a picnic, sun umbrella and fold up chairs to relax in comfort on the beach. When we get there is only one chair in the car. I saw him taking a chair out to the car so assumed he was packing them (never assume) but no, he just put one in.

He has many attributes but planning ahead for a journey isn't one of them. He relies subconsciously on me, my fault in some ways for keep checking everything I suppose (although not the chairs).

GandTea Sun 19-Jun-16 11:42:24

Sorry, don't get the problem, sounds perfectly normal for us hmm

Teetime Sun 19-Jun-16 11:59:11

Every time Dh leaves the house I count to 5 and he comes straight back; wallet, keys, papers etc etc

Bellanonna Sun 19-Jun-16 12:11:05

You'd have to count to more than 5 for me Teetime. I'm usually half way to town (only 2 miles) when I realise I don't have the skirt I'm taking back to Marks, my glasses, my diary if making appointments, and sundry other things. To be fair it's often only just a journey to the top of the road when I turn back and then I think the neighbours must think I'm dotty. Keys are one thing I look at several times before I close the door as once I do, and if I don't have them, DH is unlikely to hear me banging on the door. I'd say I have these memory slips on a frequent basis. Need to slow down a bit. Mind usually racing. DH for his part is actually better thsn me but then he doesn't have much to think about.

sunseeker Sun 19-Jun-16 12:12:26

My DH would often leave the house, drive away and be back 10 minutes later having remembered something he needed to take with him! I once went away to visit a friend in Spain, he was coming out to join us a week later. I put his passport, tickets etc. in an envelope told him where they were. When he arrived in Spain he told me he was the last person to board the plane because after getting to the airport he realised he didn't have his passport, ticket etc. and had to return home to get them! So I think this is probably a man thing.

Nonnie1 Sun 19-Jun-16 12:19:11

overthehill

You have just been talking about me. Have we met smile

Alea Sun 19-Jun-16 12:35:54

I was asked to check the bird feeders in a friend's garden when they went to Switzerland for 2 weeks. I admit I forgot for the first week so dashed round the first weekend, only to find their back door open - not just unlocked, OPEN. As my friend'sDH had gone out that way to the car leaving her to lock up the front door, she not unreasonably assumed he would close (and lock!) the door behind him. grin

annodomini Sun 19-Jun-16 12:44:34

The next generation of husbands and partners is coming along nicely. DS1 is organised, his brother is not.

Kateykrunch Sun 19-Jun-16 13:21:07

I decided to start and let my hubby fend for himself by not pointing out hazards along the way (watch that sticking out, be careful dont slip on that, watch your step), took a deep breath and whilst looking at bathroom displays in B & Q, I didn't mention the 3" step up, behind me I heard.........yes, you guessed it....he tripped over the step! Plus, I dont know if its justmine, but if we stop to look at things, he sets off again backwards!, usually into someone coming along the right way, WHY?

Bellanonna Sun 19-Jun-16 13:54:17

I get fed up with pointing out hazards. I literally point at them Otherwis would have to say it x3. I do this with "my" little ones although they are usually fairly aware. In any case less far to fall and they can get up by themselves. Ah, don't ask why, Katey. Maybe someone has the answers?

Bellanonna Sun 19-Jun-16 13:55:57

Alea that was quite dangerous. Not just human intruders, heaven help, but foxes, rats, etc. Now, did you tell her??

Alea Sun 19-Jun-16 14:07:55

I had to ! (When they got back) I had felt a bit nervous about going in and checking for intruders but it didn't look disturbed in any way. However I was unhappy about checking upstairs re possessions, jewellery etc so I rang her DIL and asked her to come over and check the bedrooms and study. We did have a laugh about it!

Alice16 Sun 19-Jun-16 14:09:37

We were looking everywhere for my husband's glasses, only to eventually realise I was wearing them ..... so can't blame him. Although he did go away on business once and left his suitcase in the hall.

tanith Sun 19-Jun-16 14:33:05

I'm usually standing at the front door with car keys in hand having been asked if I'm 'ready' to go, then we have to put our shoes on, wet our sticky up hair, fill his water bottle, check the back door, go to the loo (just in case) then as he goes to walk out the front door he'll remember the tv is still on and he hasn't checked all the windows are shut, he'll ask me if I have the car keys and finally step out the door, and the times we've driven off only to get down the road for him to say 'damn I didn't put my teeth in'.
Oh my god I want to slap him by this point. So I understand perfectly the frustration.

I do love him to death really wink

thatbags Sun 19-Jun-16 14:34:33

MrBags went out to archery (16 miles away) earlier this afternoon. A minute ago he came back, went to the loo, and left again. There are toilets at the archery venue. Colour me puzzled. Maybe he forgot something vital too.

thatbags Sun 19-Jun-16 14:35:27

*tanith grin grin! Hilarious about the teeth!

NanaandGrampy Sun 19-Jun-16 15:46:42

But its not just their inability to organise their way out of a paper bag( and the door) is it?

The times Grampy has said ,' Do we have any....... fill in the blank foodstuff'. And I will say, second shelf in the fridge/cupboard/larder, on the right .

AND he will be unable to find it.

I can guarantee that if I put down my knitting ( losing my place in the pattern) , put the footstool down, trip over the darn dog and make my way to said shelf/cupboard/ larder there will the offending item!!!! It might as well have a neon light on it and little siren because it will be exactly where I said it would be .

He should have gone to specsavers obviously smile

GandTea Sun 19-Jun-16 15:57:17

Sorry, but this is not solely a Man thing. Mrs P asks, where is so & so, I say in the bedroom somewhere, she will come in and say she can't find it, must be somewhere else, I go into the bedroom and there it is in plain sight. DOH.

Willow500 Sun 19-Jun-16 16:31:23

It's usually me who is the disorganised one and he now doesn't stand up to leave until I'm by the front door with my coat on. However he does lose things regularly and only last night had a complete paddy as he couldn't find the power lead to his computer. Having packed his desk up a couple of weeks ago due to decluttering he'd put everything in the garage in various boxes - all these boxes were tipped up on the floor and the air was blue as he threw things all over searching for the damned lead. I went in the garage, pulled out a box he'd not looked in and which was right in front of him and of course there it was! I did make him tidy up grin

Bellanonna Sun 19-Jun-16 16:59:18

Oh GandT are you sure you don't craftily hide it first and then replace it just to make yourself look clever? No, joking, you'd never do that wink. Would you ??

JackyB Sun 19-Jun-16 17:09:50

My hubbie is not exactly organised but a worrier. I don't bother shutting windows and switching things off before we go anywhere because I know he will check anyway. Ditto bedtime. Why should I waste my time locking doors when he's going to go round anyway, even if he's watched me lock up from his armchair a few minutes earlier.

I don't often forget things, but we had to turn back last time I left to fly for England because I had forgotten my purse with the sterling cash in it. Wouldn't have mattered, I could have got some at the airport, but then I'd have had to keep it in the purse together with the euros.

GandTea Sun 19-Jun-16 17:12:16

The meanest thing I did was a few years back. i went fishing very early (3am ish). it was an awful morning, cold rain, came home at 7am to find Mrs.P still fast asleep. I went all round the house and changed the clocks to 1pm. I then made a more dramatic entry, waking her up. She rushed around and had the lunch nearly ready by 9am. the radio kept giving the right time out, but she didn't notice. Eventually had to own up, luckily she saw the funny side and the dog enjoyed my lunch, !

Dara Sun 19-Jun-16 17:38:01

Mine is out all day. today.

Bellanonna Sun 19-Jun-16 17:38:48

Oh you were indeed lucky GandT

grannylyn65 Sun 19-Jun-16 17:53:37

grin