Gransnet forums

Chat

Mr granddaughter, the asparagus snob

(51 Posts)
Liz46 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:27:09

Just that really. Her Mummy offered her some asparagus and the little madam said 'I don't like Sainsbury's asparagus. I only eat freshly picked asparagus' (from Nanna's allotment).

I offered her brother strawberries yesterday and he politely said 'no thank you' and then discovered they were fresh off the allotment and changed his mind.

puppytoe Thu 23-Jun-16 11:39:50

I only buy it in season from a local grower in Pershore. It is best eaten very fresh and doesn't keep well. I imagine the imported asparagus would taste like plastic wood.

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Jun-16 11:46:20

Well, Jalima, the first time I noticed my asparagus pee I thought I must have an infection, the first time DH got beetroot pee he thought he was a goner. We've never had vitamin tablet pee - I guess this is something to look forward to?

Teetime Thu 23-Jun-16 12:04:17

I had some lovely asparagus in Essex yesterday with a delicious hollandaise sauce - very fancy restaurant for DHs 70th birthday.

ninathenana Thu 23-Jun-16 12:37:37

My dad had asparagus growing in his garden it had self seeded and he didn't realise what it was so he let it grow. It's actually quiet attractive when left to seed.grin

kathyd Thu 23-Jun-16 12:47:12

My village in France has a farmer who grows white aasparagus and makes the most delicious soup sold in litre jars. Many of my friends have preferred that to a bottle of wine when I visit.

Lupatria Thu 23-Jun-16 12:51:39

missdeke you're not alone - i don't like asparagus either.
as for tomato ketchup - it's GOT to be heinz as i can definately taste the difference. the same with baked beans - they've just got to be heinz too.
there are several foodstuffs i buy which just HAVE to be the proper one which i've grown up [and up and up] with. frozen peas, beefburgers, fish fingers all have to be bird's eye.

DanniRae Thu 23-Jun-16 12:55:25

Don't know about asparagus but LOVE beetroot and worth putting up with the pee consequences - but a bit worrying until you realise what you have been eating.

Bez1989 Thu 23-Jun-16 13:40:21

Duddy1...yes Heinz Tomato Ketchup is nicest... IMO too.
Others like Daddies or another one bought from our local fish & chip shop are too sour or bitter. Heinz just get it right.

Casawan Thu 23-Jun-16 13:59:05

My g'dtrs think they only like M&S Mighty Meaty Pasta, as introduced to them by their other G'mthr. So now we both make our own and tell them it's the M&S stuff. Of course they eat it. If I tell the truth they whinge and complain about my horrible pasta. So my lovely g'dtrs are making us tell them lies.

BBbevan Thu 23-Jun-16 14:31:25

DH always insists on Tiptree ketchup.He likes the little labels on top with the packer's name. I just have ordinary old Sainsburys

Jalima Thu 23-Jun-16 15:23:51

We've never had vitamin tablet pee - I guess this is something to look forward to?
Bright yellow Maggiemaybe grin
(Scary!)

Jalima Thu 23-Jun-16 15:24:18

oh, I didn't mean to put that in bold bold

Jalima Thu 23-Jun-16 15:33:56

^ I think you will find the white asparagus is actually bleached!^
White asparagus is not bleached. It is blanched.

*Welshwife is correct, it is termed bleached - caused by lack of sunlight, which seems odd as sunlight does bleach things! Consequently, bleached asparagus does not contain chlorophyll and is not green

www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/chlorophyll-in-regular-asparagus-plants-on-high-res-stock-photography/81622887

Blanched asparagus is a cooking term and means it has been put into boiling water for a minute or so

Witzend Thu 23-Jun-16 16:26:57

Great big bunch of fresh English asparagus in local market the other day for £2.
And it was delish.
I made an asparagus risotto the other week, very nice too.

etheltbags1 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:48:34

talking of food snobs , I know a girl whose husband will only eat Heinz beans and claims he knows the difference.
My late DH would only eat Kellogs cereals until I refilled the cereal box with own brand cereal and he knew no different until I told him. What idiots men are, the children of course just copy the parents who are daft enough to tell them where the food has come from.

Spangles1963 Fri 24-Jun-16 01:35:49

No missdeke - I don't like it either. Maybe I have been unlucky but on the few occasions I have had it,I found it tough and chewy.

Spangles1963 Fri 24-Jun-16 01:44:49

etheltbags1 - sounds a bit like my SIL! He will only drink Kenco Rapor coffee. Refused point blank to drink a cheaper brand,saying it tasted 'disgusting' and that he would not drink it if DD bought it. My DD refilled the jar with a cheaper shop's own brand,that my DD and I agreed tasted exactly the same. That was 6 months ago. To this day he has never commented on it.grin

Deedaa Sat 25-Jun-16 21:26:29

Oh dear! When I make risotto I do like to have Vialone Nano rice from one little town in Italy. We used to buy it when we went over there but now I get it on the internet at great expense blush My only defence is that I only use a little at a time and it really is different.

loopylou Sun 26-Jun-16 06:33:11

Dh will only drink Cafe Noire coffee, and not the one with 'real' coffee grounds in it or so he thinks ?
I won't tell him yet that it's Lidl's finest, decanted into an old jar.
I have told him he's eating Holland and Barrett muesli not Alpen though and has been for more than 12 months ?

absent Sun 26-Jun-16 07:29:35

It is not necessarily snobbishness as some fruits and vegetables taste infinitely better when freshly picked; asparagus, strawberries, tomatoes and peaches spring to mind. In my opinion, no instant coffee brand in the world – okay, I haven't tried all of them – tastes like coffee but many are an acceptable hot beverage. Some kinds of coffee beans – ground or self-ground – suit some people and some others. That's not snobbery, it's just personal taste. Wild salmon has a much better flavour and texture than farmed salmon, although I confess I will happily snarf up both.

Greyduster Sun 26-Jun-16 14:37:25

I often used to make asparagus and sun dried tomato risotto for a dinner party starter, a small portion set on a plate using a ring mould, dressed with asparagus tips. Very pretty and went down a treat. I picked some strawberries out of my garden yesterday and took them over for GS. He said "Dad and I got some from Sainsburys this morning." I said "These are better - I grew them in my garden!" He said "Yes but I like the Sainsburys ones because they haven't been on the floor!" confused. What can you do??

Deedaa Sun 26-Jun-16 21:35:52

Oh Greyduster how true! When we had chickens it took me about a week to eat any of their lovely fresh eggs because I knew they'd come out of the hens' bottoms!

AnnieGran Tue 28-Jun-16 17:56:47

For food snobbery this is hard to beat: my youngest daughter in law brings her two children's lunch with her when they visit. Their granddad is a super cook and has only ever made them healthy fresh meals. We don't grow our own asparagus though so that might be it!

We have eight grandsprogs altogether and haven't poisoned any of them yet and his baked vegetables - peppers, red onions, carrots and parsnips are very popular. Sunday dinner here can be a very noisy and boisterous occasion! The queue for seconds is endless.grin

thatbags Wed 29-Jun-16 08:17:16

Like it, loopy wink

MrB and I have different coffee. He likes waitrose own cheapest blend of ground coffee, which I also find acceptable so it's allright if we run out of my preferred Jackson's 'Lazy Sunday'.

We both prefer Socttish smoked salmon, wild or farmed, to Norwegian, which we found very peely-wally by comparison.

miep Wed 29-Jun-16 12:08:56

Best friend/carer likes Kenco coffee, I like Lidls...but she never notices when I refill the jar!