Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank you GNs

(30 Posts)
Badenkate Sat 16-Jul-16 12:38:37

I fully retired about 5 years ago, and I must admit I haven't taken to it too well. I've done various voluntary jobs and joined some clubs, but somehow I just haven't felt happy and at peace with myself.
There have been several posts on here about retirement and people worrying about how they would adapt, and a couple of weeks ago another one appeared which I read through - and suddenly a light came on. GNs were saying how much they enjoyed having time to play golf or bowling, or do art and craft activities, to spend lots of time with their grandchildren - and these are all lovely things to do. However, I realised that my problem was, these are the things we always hear about for retirement - but I didn't really want to do them and yet I was trying to fit into a lifestyle that encouraged all these things. What I wasn't doing was saying to myself, do what you REALLY want to do and ignore all the retirement images which are everywhere - river cruises, slow walks in the countryside, looking after small children, gardening etc etc.
I'm feeling much happier now as if I've given myself permission to be myself rather than conform. I'm not knocking other GNs who I know enjoy the things I don't, in many ways I envy you. I just wondered if anyone else felt this way?
(By the way, I dearly love my grandchildren, but I'm quite happy to see them every month or so).

Anya Sun 17-Jul-16 08:29:17

Yes, although I retired 10 years ago we moved shortly afterwards to be near my son and DiL who were expecting their first baby. Then my daughter and SiL came back from New Zealand with their toddler, so it was straight into childminding as they produced five lovely GC between them.

The last one started school last September so I'm a bit like you Mildred inasmuch as my retirement proper started last September.

I love my sudoku and crosswords and of course reading, reading and more reading. Been feeling a touch guilty when sitting doing these but won't now.

But I do need to get out and meet new people so trying out a Pétanque Club tomorrow.

pensionpat Sun 17-Jul-16 13:11:39

Ruby lady. You have summed it up labels don't matter. They just give people the opportunity to stereotype. We are all different.

fiorentina51 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:39:21

Have a wonderful birthday Rubylady. Onward and upward! ????

rubylady Mon 18-Jul-16 01:20:39

Thank you Badenkate, pensionpat and florentina. smile

Badenkate You are entitled to feel strange with retiring, it is a very difficult time of your life and a lot of changes occur. And you do have to give yourself permission to enjoy your time now, you have earned it in spades, just do things which give you pleasure. I'm ok, I moan on at times because it gets too much but generally I am riding the waves of getting old, decrepit and bits falling off! grin

pensionpat I do think that society is very keen to label people these days, whatever the situation and aren't we all just humans trying to get by in the best way we can? I took offence at the post about Marmark1 needing a sick bucket because I said I would visit a naturist place. How rude when the person (?male or female) doesn't even know me. confused

florentina Thank you. I know, but I have to have my cervical biopsy re-done tomorrow as they didn't get enough cells last time so another wait now to see if everything is ok. Maybe that is why I am not too bothered this year about my birthday, there have been far more important things to focus on. smile