Gransnet forums

Chat

Starting new life tomorrow

(54 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Jul-16 09:32:06

Tomorrow is going to be the start of my new life. I retired from two jobs this week, one Wednesday, one Thursday and the removals men came to take my furniture etc into storage also on Thursday. Brilliant DD1 came down on Wednesday and worked like a Trojan to help me sort and clean the house with last minute jobs. She left on Thursday night to drive back and I've been staying with my best friend since then (we've been friends since I was 9 I'm now 63)

It's been very sad to say goodbye to people I've worked with for 12 years and I'm moving from South Wales where I've lived all my life ( I'll always be Welsh wherever I live) I've lived within a radius of 20 miles from where I was born all my life, so don't know what Illl be like leaving my friend she is like a sister to me. However the chance to be by my daughters and see my DGD,s every day if I want to is priceless! I've always been 3 hours away from them ever since daughters left for Uni so will be fab to be literally down the road.

It was a nightmare winding up two jobs and sorting out moving house, I'm downsizing from a 3 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom flat so the tip and charity shop had a lot of stuff as I had to be a bit ruthless about what I kept. I'll be living with my youngest daughter for a few months as flat not ready yet. So tomorrow moving to Surrey FOREVER!

I just wanted to share my happiness with you all as you're so supportive on here. Thank you

Craftycat Mon 25-Jul-16 17:24:59

Welcome to Surrey. I'm sure you will be very happy here & you can get into London very easily which is also a bonus if you want to explore the historical sites & museums.
I know our rolling hills are not as dramatic as the gorgeous countryside you have been used to but it is very pretty.
I'm sure you will be very happy indeed being closer to your daughters.

watermeadow Mon 25-Jul-16 17:49:20

You're very brave but so sensible to move now, while you're young enough to throw yourself into a new life.
I moved from Wales when I was 49 and returned to the land of my fathers. My tiny, dilapidated cottage here cost nearly double what I got for a much bigger house in South Wales.
Best wishes for a happy future in Surrey.

Bez1989 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:26:16

Twice....I admire your courage and wish you the very best in your "New Life"
Hopefully youll find a better NHS service than in South Wales. Important youll find as you get older ! sunshine