Gransnet forums

Chat

Royals

(157 Posts)
hulahoop Wed 27-Jul-16 17:05:41

I have no problem with the royal family but does anyone feel like me that William and Kate appear to have a lot of holidays I know they don't live in our world but it must make young families annoyed when they can't afford one especially when cost of Kate's going away clothes is usually what it would cost for them to go away .

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 12:34:58

They are free to do all those things ican, unless they are completely friendless , do you think they sit with friends and only talk about the weather . I doubt anyone walks up to strangers and starts a political debate

Jane10 Thu 28-Jul-16 12:39:38

I would have thought Anniebach that you would appreciate their recent highlighting of mental ill health. Like it or not, the media will always cover whatever they do so they have brought this issue right to people's attention. Good on them.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 12:51:02

I do appreciate them speaking out on mental Health illness Jane 10 , but so many mentally ill people are sleeping on the streets , practical help is needed , they can't house them all but I doubt their speaking out is going to make any difference and does it balance with the cost to the country?

gillybob Thu 28-Jul-16 13:01:45

Princes William and Harry talking about mental illness is one thing but words alone will do nothing to help many of those who suffer every day. If either W or H (or any other Royal for that matter) had mental health issues (or any other health issues) they would see the top consultants and have the best care money could buy, within the blink of an eye. Most "normal" people would have to wait months for a referral.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 13:30:41

Just what I think gillybob, they hold a BBQ for celebrities and talk about depression , what practical help is this . Harry speaks of the death of his mother, yes sad, it doesn't help though , what has it done for twelve year old throughout the country who has suffered the grief of losing a parent or are now watching a parent die , did very few know the pain of the death of a parent , sorry but for me it was a waste of minutes on the news but did cause some to awwwwwww

Direne3 Thu 28-Jul-16 15:18:54

Wouldn't swap with them for anything though - short working hours maybe but horrendous potential retirement date (if HM is anything to go by).

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 15:25:46

Surely it must be time for a Jezza thread agsin hmm

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 15:26:00

But very long holidays , two months Christmas, three months Summer, week in June, Easter , about six months a year

Bellanonna Thu 28-Jul-16 16:24:49

I haven't ploughed back through this thread, but in answer to the OP's question, I very much doubt if young families are "annoyed" because W and K go on frequent holidays. My own young families wouldn't give them a second thought. One DD is doing up an old house they bought, spending every day of her school summer holidays painting and repairing while DH takes the kids out. She's happy to do it and I'm sure wouldn't cast a second thought for what the Royals are doing. I don't believe there are that many resentful young families about. They might regret not having holidays away but I'm sure many of those who don't go away find time for days out or fun things to do with the kids,

Bellanonna Thu 28-Jul-16 16:25:28

DB. - Jezza??

icanhandthemback Thu 28-Jul-16 16:32:30

Anniebach, I fail to see how they can just do those things like you and I. They can't go out without security guards and they always have to be aware that even friends can talk to the media. Letters that Charles wrote in private have been scrutinised and they never know when anything they have said and done will come back to haunt them. They may have privileges you and I don't have but it comes with a price. Even if they abdicate and walk away from their Royal lives, the press wouldn't leave them alone. Give me my privacy any day of the week.

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 16:33:35

Our eldest D and SIL have already had a week in Somerset at Christmas, a skiing holiday in Feb, , a week away at Easter (I forget where) are currently away in the Med for 10 days and take long weekends whoever there is a BH at their holiday/weekend place in Somerset. Oh and DD had a weekend in New York with 2 girlfriends as a 40th birthday celebration which they had saved for since their 30th birthdays.
Nice if you can get it, we can't and never could, but many young couples do get away whenever they can!
So Kate and Wills are nothing special.
Now what about Beatrice/Eugenie though (I can never remember which is which) . I read an article recently which reckoned whichever one it is has had holidays into double figures this year already!!

Jane10 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:35:33

Jeremy Clarkson,
The young royals talking about mental health issues makes it far harder for authorities to push mental health service development to the back of the queue. Them talking openly about their personal experience of bereavement and depression may certainly make others feel less alone.
If you're looking for direct practical stuff Harry works hard to help his charity in Africa and to help war veterans develop positive self esteem by organising all those treks and events. It is extremely mean spirited to decry their efforts. They do what they can in the circumstances in which they are born. Its all any of us can do.

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 16:37:26

Apologies for being vague it was apparently 15 holidays in 8 months in 2015 tcrgrin

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 16:38:38

Of course jane10 gringrin or maybe Paxman??? grin

Bellanonna Thu 28-Jul-16 16:39:27

Well said jane10

Ramblingrose22 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:58:56

hulahoop - why is it important how many holidays they have or what their clothes cost (yawn)?

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 17:42:36

Because we pay fir their upkeep

Jane10 Thu 28-Jul-16 18:05:33

The Cambridges and Harry do not receive any funding from us. They are funded by income from the Duchy of Cornwell.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 18:13:39

Yes they are. And the Duchy if Cornwall is given to him because he was the first born son, so he didn't buy it, work it, it was handed to him and just think how many could be helped of all that rent went into mental health charities, instead it keeps five adults and two children

sc0tslassie Thu 28-Jul-16 18:42:41

An incredibly privileged family with too many hangers on. Do we really need to support Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie?

Elrel Thu 28-Jul-16 18:49:00

Kate had been criticised in the media for wearing High Street clothes and for wearing 'old' clothes which have been seen before. In other words, being like other people.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jul-16 18:51:15

I am not a republican but I do think this family could live a less decadent life style,

Charles has at least five homes, Camilla has one of her own as well, William has two, just those three have eight homes and we pay for round the clock security for all the properties the windsors own .

Jane10 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:10:19

So do many overpaid footballers and so called celebs. If you don't like them don't bother reading about them if it upsets you so much. Put your energies into something more worthy of your time and leave us all to like and appreciate the Royal family.

Ramblingrose22 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:13:35

I agree with Bellanonna above. Most people don't give a toss about the extent to which the taxpayer funds the Royal Family.

The Queen has done much to lift the popularity of the Royal Family after the death of Princess Diana and I can't see that changing as we seem to accept that this is how it should be, despite the fact that the Queen is a multi-billionaire.

I remember when Prince George was born that Susan Miller (an American astrologer) cast his birth chart and one of the positions in the chart was in the house of other people's money:

"In astrology, the Sun represents the place you shine in life. The house in which the Sun is found in your chart is also critical. In this case Prince George’s natal sun is found in his eighth house of other people's money"!

sc0tslassie - if taxpayers have to continue to support multi-billionaires, then I think that support should be limted to the Queen only. Even if the country's economy goes from bad to worse in future, it is extremely unlikely that politicians or the people will go down this road.

I'm pleased that younger Royals are speaking out about HIV testing and mental illness about and being patrons of worthy causes, but it seems that they are more than happy to carry on being supported by taxpayers and receiving all their privileges and we are more than happy for this to continue.