Gransnet forums

Chat

torn

(32 Posts)
mirryben31 Mon 08-Aug-16 11:22:06

I am being put in an impossible situation. My youngest son (30) has not worked for 4 years. Has lived (without contributing) with his siblings and their spouses/families and with me for a time. He caused friction between his step father and me as we have a low income and my husband asked me to speak to him about getting a job or signing in. Because my son has some mental health issues and is on anti depressants i was reluctant to do this and this resulted in a huge arguement during which.my son tried to strangle his step father (causing bruises and finger indentations) awful things were said by the two of them and my son left to stay with friends. He has been there for nine months and still has no job and won't sign on. His sister is getting married and he wants to come stay with us for two weeks. I know he has been told he has to leave his friends and think that once in our house he will ask to stay as he has nowhere else to go. My husband says he cannot come to stay . I am torn as i am worried about my son but i know it will be the end if my marriage if he comes to stay(live)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Aug-16 18:30:35

I hope it comes right for all of you in the end.

Tresco Mon 08-Aug-16 18:30:52

To me, the issue is what will genuinely help your son. Having him to live with you in the past has not improved the situation at all, so what would be different this time? Offering a choice between six weeks counselling or being sectioned seems odd - but maybe being sectioned would be a route to him getting - or accepting - the help he needs. Sometimes "helping" is not actually helpful and tough love is needed.

mumofmadboys Mon 08-Aug-16 18:39:02

Gosh Mirryben you have got a lot on your plate. You need to look after yourself if you are going to be able to support your Mum,your sister, your daughter getting married,your husband and your other children. You cannot makes things right for them all so you can only do your best and life is a compromise. Did your son work until he was 26? Has he drug or alcohol problems? Can you offer to help him sign on? I believe it starts with a phone call. Should he be on sickness benefit? Does he need a sick note from his GP? I think it would be disastrous if you allowed him to live with you from the small amount of info you have told us.You would be living on tenterhooks. Things may have to get worse for him before they get better for him. You can support him but cannot provide a solution to all his problems. Thinking of you and hope your daughter's wedding goes well.

obieone Mon 08-Aug-16 18:45:50

As an aside, or maybe not, I dont think I would be moving house 21/2 weeks before a daughters' wedding.

mirryben31 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:21:44

Ha ha Obione. The move had to be now as it was the only opportunity to do so.(won't go into all that) In answer to other questions from people. My son has no drug or alcohol problems. He was suicidal, hence the councelling or section choice. Thank you for all the support and suggestions of where to get help.. your comments are much appreciated.

rafichagran Mon 08-Aug-16 20:07:04

I feel for your son but can see it from your husband's view point. Your son tried to strangle him and left visible marks, he was lucky he did not go to the Police. I think you are right about enabling him, he does need to take responsibility for himself, and needs to be encouraged to contibute financially as you are on a low income. I also agree when you say you have responibility for your other children. I really feel for you, and your son, but he needs to get help and needs to realise that he should not expect to live off others. I wish you both well.