Gransnet forums

Chat

Olympic Memories

(30 Posts)
gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 16:47:52

Just loving the Olympics at the moment and thinking of Olympics gone by. So many memories!

I think I remember some of the Mexico games and found it fascinating to see the action beamed from the other side of the world. I was in primary school then.

I remember Allan Wells in the sprint, along with Borzov of the USSR. And David Hemery in the hurdles. Who can forget Mark Spitz in the swimming? Wow.

And the gymnastics-omg Korbut, Kim and Comaneci!

The wonderful Carl Lewis winning pretty much everything. Ben Johnson winning, then losing his medal due to drugs.

And all those Iron Curtain females pumped up on steroids. Hard to believe now.

Ovett and Coe in the early 80s; I always preferred Ovett, though.

And Jonathan Edwards, Gunnell, Christie and Colin Jackson.

And the great Michael Johnson, powering away like a train in the 400. What a sight.

From this games, I think the defining moment so far is the runner smashing the record in the women's 15000m.

What are your favourite memories of Olympics gone by?

12Michael Tue 16-Aug-16 07:31:46

My Olympic memories are with cycling, having raced against some of them in Time Trials notably Mexico 68, and Munich 72.
And have been involved with a cycling organisation, where annual dinners many attended.
Mick

gettingonabit Tue 16-Aug-16 09:30:20

Are you a mamil, mick?grin.

The cycling has been great, hasn't it? Bonkers, but great.

I finally understood what was going on in the Omnium and was so pleased for Cavendish when he won a silver.

Can't wait for the women's omnium now. Go Trottsmile.

gettingonabit Tue 16-Aug-16 11:19:07

mick who were those cyclists you raced against?

LullyDully Tue 16-Aug-16 11:52:32

I used to love watching Steve Cramm run with his blond curls. Also Sally Gunnell and Colin Jackson going over the hurdles.