Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny things grandchildren say

(57 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 16-Aug-16 19:24:26

Yesterday I was walking through a field of sheep with two small grandchildren and said,"Mind the poo".
Grandson asked,"Why doesn't their owner pick it up?"
So, all you farmers, get out there with the poo bags!

Pollengran Tue 16-Aug-16 20:05:31

I am going to get in so much trouble for this after the last thread about funny kids.. But no, the farmer does not pick up the poo. Why did you not explain that to your grandchildren?

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 20:17:44

Pollengran perhaps watermeadow did actually explain to the grandchildren about pasture fertilisation, and even perhaps that fields where sheep have grazed are more likely to produce crops of field mushrooms in the autumn, or even, maybe delivered a whole damn lecture about the impracticality of clearing up after a flock of goodness knows how many sheep, possibly leading on to a discussion about how employing workers from certain EU countries to do it might be feasible, but since the Brexit vote this is no longer an option, but you might like to bear in mind.......

IT'S JUST SUPPOSED TO BE A LIGHT-HEARTED AMUSING ANECDOTE!!!!!!!

NanaandGrampy Tue 16-Aug-16 20:24:59

? Phoenix took the words right out of my mouth !!

To add to the lightheartedness....

My grandson aged 4 was in the swimming pool.

I hope I don't get sunburnt he says.
I don't think so , we're inside I replied.
What if I get an erection he says!!!

Took me a tick to work out he meant reflection :-))

But it's alright Pollengran we had a long discussion about refracted light etc . smile

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 20:26:40

grin grin grin

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 20:28:58

Nanaandgrampy someone should write a song about the first line of your post! wink

Luckygirl Tue 16-Aug-16 20:33:41

Exactly phoenix - and very well put.

Lots of small DGC (mostly naked) playing happily in the garden in the sunshine - one DGS comes into house where assorted family are seated and announces earnestly: "E is doing something inappropriate with his bottom." Cue much hilarity!

It's OK Pollengran we retracted our laughter and went on to explain the seriousness of DGS's actions and to discuss the issue of nakedness in society. smile

Pollengran Tue 16-Aug-16 20:35:22

But.. Maybe she could have also explained the cost of poo bags which are only 99p in home bargains, and suits cat and dog lovers but might not work for the farmer.
If he were to add that to the farmers EU allowance that may bankrupt him if he has to pick up all the sheep poo.

I DO kNOW IT IS A JOKE. NO NEED TO SHOUT At ME AGAIN. Jeez.

sunseeker Tue 16-Aug-16 20:36:50

Love these stories about the things kids say. I'm sure the children also enjoyed (and understood) the lectures on the merits of picking up sheep poo and the one on refracted light - whatever we do we mustn't allow them to just enjoy themselves.

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 20:40:11

Quite right too, Luckygirl we can't have unbridled frivolity, every action has its consequences and these should be emphasised/stressed/drummed home at every opportunity.

We would be irresponsible people if we didn't do this.

aggie Tue 16-Aug-16 20:42:05

DGS had decided to keep a diary over the summer , notebook of impressive size was purchased and said journal has been full of writing and drawings ............. until last week . No idea why , but he tried to fill it in this morning , I found him red faced and cross , I have phenomenal memory , he announced , but not about last Monday !!

LullyDully Tue 16-Aug-16 20:43:24

grin

Jane10 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:45:40

Pollengranconfused

Pollengran Tue 16-Aug-16 20:46:35

If I didn't express my strict views you would all be talking about slippers instead.

Please don't take me seriously, my grandchildren report me for my bad behaviour all the time grin.

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 20:51:41

Pollengran, I apologise if I seem to be having a "pop" at you, or being facetious, but I truly think that to get the most out of Gransnet, and I do speak as someone who has been a member from the start, you might get more out of it if you perhaps took some posts a little more lightly?

(I would have suggested"lighten up" but got a roasting on another thread for using that phrase! blush confused )

annodomini Tue 16-Aug-16 20:52:40

I was at the library picking up books for the book group. I explained this to GS (5) who thought about it for a few seconds and asked:'Is that all about philosophy, Granny?'.

I then had to give him a short dissertation on the difference between Plato and Aristotle.

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 21:00:11

I have never talked about slippers, don't even wear them, even though Mr P in a misguided moment bought me some for Christmas a few years ago! (Goodness knows why, possibly last-minute-shopping-desperation syndrome? confused )

Pollengran Tue 16-Aug-16 21:10:04

Phoenix, were you a Prefect at school? I feel like hiding behind the bikeshed now with my hand slapped from you shock.
As for slippers.. I wear my old Uggs at home. Bliss smile.

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 21:19:55

Hey, bit unfair, Pollengran ! I just apologised for previous posts in case they were deemed a bit harsh of whatever!

No, never a prefect, much more likely to be the one metaphorically having a smoke behind the bike sheds!blush

Pollengran Tue 16-Aug-16 21:25:00

I think we would be pals grin

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 21:32:19

Ok, so why such serious posts on threads?? confused

Deedaa Tue 16-Aug-16 21:33:35

GS2 aged 3 was watching Max Whitlock's phenomenal floor exercise and said "It's just running and spinning, I can do that!"

NanaandGrampy Tue 16-Aug-16 21:34:55

Good question Phoenix I had to go back and retread and there's no clue it's lighthearted a smiling emoticon might give us a clue and god knows I have no clue smile

Pollengran Tue 16-Aug-16 21:48:42

The way I write is wry. I love GN, and I mean no harm at all. I tend to have "a face on me" that does not come across in the written word.

I do love the site, and it has given me so many insights and advice that I am grateful for.

I also observe people quietly, and try to bring that to the surface when I can.

Being nice and agreeing with everyone is fine, but the best threads for me are those that get everyone going.

I appreciate that is not what everyone likes, sorry about that.

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 21:50:03

Prizactly!