Gransnet forums

Chat

Plastic Bags

(29 Posts)
Jennac Sun 21-Aug-16 09:30:19

Is it me? Or have other people found that since the free plastic bags were taken away, (and I am very happy about that). The standard of service has gone with them. You buy clothes and they are not folded, just virtually thrown at you, you are made to feel that you are wasting time at check outs when you are putting your goods away, Plus if you pop in a shop to buy something quickly, you leave with goods in your hand, but feel like a criminal.

Rant of the day/week/month

chicken Sun 21-Aug-16 15:58:40

I've used my own bags for donkey's years. There's one shop locally where an assistant ALWAYS says"Do you want a baaaag ?"in a long drawn out way even when you've got ypur reuseable carrier placed prominently on the counter.Another thing that worries me is the use of "paper" cups that can't be recycled. I'd hoped that Hugh F-Ws programme about it would have kick started a change, but in our local Waitrose, in spite of reuseable cups being on sale there, I've yet to see anyone (except me)using anything except the paper cups. I feel like tapping people on the shoulder and telling them about the environmental damage they'rd doing----but I'm too much of a coward.

overthehill Sun 21-Aug-16 16:03:03

Welshwife we to have carriers we bought from France in about 1998 from the Champion store. We use these in our caravan for taking our washing stuff over to the showers. Like you we fold them up properly, very good quality.

I must ask you all, what do you put your rubbish into. I use supermarket carriers for this purpose to line my under sink bin. Therefore, if I don't use them, I have to purchase bin liners. Is this saving the planet? What this does is give more cash to the supermarket instead and I am worse off, but bags are still being used.

As someone mentioned here, Sainsbury charge 40p for any number of carriers that are used for home deliveries. Our daughter shops this way, so she gives me all these surplus bags which in the main keep me going.

SueDonim Sun 21-Aug-16 16:39:54

Most of our rubbish is recycled nowadays so no bags required for that. We use one or two at most, biodegradable bags a week for anything destined for landfill.