Gransnet forums

Chat

No politics, no slagging off of others

(102 Posts)
NonnaW Wed 24-Aug-16 13:53:57

Other than that, what would people like to chat about? I so miss the GN Olympics thread, that was so lighthearted. Now we seem to be back to bad tempered, bad-mouthing of others and intolerance of other viewpoints in posts.

Come on peeps, let's have a bit of humour back!

Jane10 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:55:58

Is it time to start rehearsals for the GN panto?

NonnaW Wed 24-Aug-16 13:57:37

Ooh that's a good idea! Who's going to volunteer to be Linda Snell?

Charleygirl Wed 24-Aug-16 14:12:12

Excuse me but have you not forgotten the Para Olympics? I know that your memories are failing you but they cannot be that bad!

I am managing to practise for an hour a week- I have to get my diving up to scratch. 10 m is too high for me on my own, hence a Zimmer or even crutches. All are in my shed.

I am definitely going to apply for surfing in Tokyo)it will be a new Olympic sport so I will not be up against those with 5 medals already.

Alishka Wed 24-Aug-16 14:24:16

charlie, did I hear mention on r4 that some competitors can't participate cos their countries wouldn't sponsor their airfares? If so, completely unreasonable, to me . confused

Charleygirl Wed 24-Aug-16 14:30:16

Seriously I do not know what has happened to the real sponsorship money for the Para O. Some will have been syphoned off (as usual) but I do not know what will happen to the rest. I believe that some was used to finish off the Olympics in Rio as they were so far behind with building etc.

Apparently last week only 12% of the tickets had been sold.

Ilrina Wed 24-Aug-16 14:45:24

Talking about the bad mouthing and intolerance of others viewpoints. I only joined G N a short while ago, maybe a couple of weeks. I don't think I have posted anything particularly radical or inflammatory so far.

I noticed very swiftly though that there are a few posters on here who show great intolerance. It doesn't matter what the subject is( And it is always the same people). I don't expect everyone to have the same ideas as others, or to like the same things, that would be so bland and boring. However it should be possible to express one's disagreement without dismissing the other persons viewpoint out of hand, and actually TELLING them on here what they should do!

I find it quite amusing to be honest. I find it very interesting that it is always the same people, and this makes me wonder if they are so " bossy " and dismissive of others in every day life, or if they are simply People who cannot converse or debate with others face to face, who lack confidence, and the fact that they can sit in front of their screen with no come back brings out the worst in them.

Quite an interesting study of Human Nature.
what does anyone else think?
Have the " Culprits" recognized themselves? I suspect that is something we will never know.

Synonymous Wed 24-Aug-16 15:04:19

I have become careful where I post as I am unable to deal with being flamed and if I get a response I feel was not called for then I just disappear from that thread. Life is too short anyway and I am a peaceable little mouse on the whole.
Overall there are so many lovely folk on here and it is company so I enjoy it though I don't post much if having a low energy day.
As for 'culprits' recognising themselves Ilrina I think that is doubtful. Normality for some is 'anything but' for others. I, too, have wondered if it is the lack of accountability due to the anonymity afforded. hmm

Synonymous Wed 24-Aug-16 15:20:21

I cut every single rose from my rose bed the night before the storms were forecast to come and have been enjoying them indoors. I am really surprised to see that already there are suddenly quite a few new buds appearing so that was amazingly quick! smile

whitewave Wed 24-Aug-16 15:26:49

I have noticed though in this heat in the garden, they soon go over. I love roses though and would pack my garden if I could.

My DiL has just lost her Dad so I always buy a rose for the person/people left if they would like one for their garden. She has chosen "Teasing Georgia" which is a yellow. I have also ordered one for myself pure coincidence though.

pensionpat Wed 24-Aug-16 15:33:31

It has been a superb year for roses IMO. I ignore the bits of disease on the leaves. The flowers keep coming back even when I think they have finished

millymouge Wed 24-Aug-16 15:38:48

I also am relatively new to GN.
If there is a thread that seems to be too inflammable I keep away although I would often like to express an opinion. It has surprised me how sometimes even the most casual remark or comment can upset some people. There was one about a little girl that passed a comment to her mother in a store but which seemed to really upset some people, whilst I just thought it just like a child. I felt the whole thing was quite unnecessary.

LullyDully Wed 24-Aug-16 15:40:00

I so.agree synonymous on your approach to posting. I try to be careful what I say. Don't mind people disagreeing, it's how they do it. " Blessed is the peace maker for she shall see God." ( Metaphorically speaking.)

millymouge Wed 24-Aug-16 15:45:03

Pressed the button before I had finished. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the GN Olympics thread. Some people have the most fantastic imaginations grin

Ilrina Wed 24-Aug-16 15:58:32

Yes Millymouge, I remember that thread. I don't think I bothered to post on it but was amazed at how "Serious" it all became.

Don't know how the roses thread came to be in here, but we are due storms I think later tonight or tomorrow. I think I will go and pick ours too, it's so sad to see them all battered down the next day when they could be in here looking and smelling lovely smile

fiorentina51 Wed 24-Aug-16 16:00:13

I quite like the idea of a gransnet panto. I have some experience of the village hall production and it's joys. ??. Now, what shall it be? Shall we do a tried and tested panto or go for a more edgy home written version?
One I recall... never to be forgotten was when one of the cast offered to write a script for Cinderella. Several months passed and we were finally presented with the story of the punk Cinders who went to the ball in a black bin liner and was only marrying the prince for his money!
It soon got re written.

thatbags Wed 24-Aug-16 16:17:58

Are non-panto posts allowed? Just so I can boast about putting together a brush-cutter today as well as making meringues from a couple of egg whites left over from a pasta sauce I made yesterday. Just eaten two, with very thick cream.

I also told a sheep, a young one, this year's lamb, to go back into the field or his mammy would be worried. He did, by squeezing under the gate. I think I might have to do some more sheep wardening if the farmer doesn't make it harder for lambs to squeeze under the gate.

grannylyn65 Wed 24-Aug-16 16:24:15

Isn't it funny/strange that you know from a persons first post, that they are always going to aggravate you !!!!!hmm

Greyduster Wed 24-Aug-16 16:29:01

I made some brownies this afternoon and there is a lot. GS is on his holidays so I expect DH and I will have to eat it all. Oh, what a shame (though he doesn't really deserve any after dropping his glasses in the chocolate mixture while looking over my shoulder). I don't tend to post on contentious threads, having had my head shot off once too often, or worse, been belittled, in a previous incarnation. I think I prefer to be ignored. My views are fairly anodyne these days and I may therefore be considered a lightweight, but I love Gransnet and will continue to put in my two penn'orth. Now then, anyone want a brownie?

thatbags Wed 24-Aug-16 16:35:07

Could you save me one for later, please, greyd? I've just eaten two meringues, you see!

hildajenniJ Wed 24-Aug-16 16:36:36

Absolutely. I hadn't been a member for long before I was shot down in flames for something I posted. I've quite forgotten what it was about but I still remember the feelings of indignation I had. As for what bags said about boasting, I did a very clever thing this morning, well it was clever for me, ? I managed to transfer photos from my new camera onto the computer, and posted one to my friends on fb. I'm a "bear of very little brain" when it comes to technological stuff.

rosesarered Wed 24-Aug-16 16:39:44

thatbags can you really talk to the animals ( Dr Doolittle!) the lamb understood at any rate.grin
I want a brownie Greyduster ( didn't know this was your second life on Gransnet btw)
However, since I am not allowed all things cake-y and chocolate-y because of diet,
Put one in the freezer for me? ?

granjura Wed 24-Aug-16 16:43:17

Totally agree about no slagging off.

But why no politics- just keep our of political threads if you don't want to take part. Just depends what you've joined for.

After nearly 40 years in UK - and now abroad for 7- I have no-one here to discuss anything about the UK- where I still have our DDs, GCs, lots of family and friends- where we still have a flat, visit often and may even come back to.

So this Forum allows me to keep in touch with what it happening there- and have informed and interesting discussions. Sad that they become acrimonious at times, I agree- but for me most valuable to have this opportunity to discuss 'back home'. Some are here for all sorts of reasons, friendship, support, etc, etc, etc. We need to each take out of GN what we need and want.

Elegran Wed 24-Aug-16 16:57:08

If politics would stay in the politics topic, there would no need to put "no politics" in the heading of this thread. Wherever politics goes, discord follows. Other topics can also raise discord, of course, but not with such guaranteed certainty.

NonnaW Wed 24-Aug-16 17:59:41

Interesting responses.

Charleygirl apologies, I had forgotten our Paralympics. Do forgive me [blush

Roses are a great subject as are choc brownies and animals

Granjua I have no objections to people discussing politics, just was hoping not on this thread.

If the panto gets off the ground I'm willing to offer help but I'm a bit too butterfly minded to organise it. Volunteers needed!