Gransnet forums

Chat

During the last week

(104 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 05-Sep-16 01:24:56

I have (amongst other things):
Celebrated my 30th wedding anniversary and my 63rd birthday.
Said goodbye to 3 lodgers sad and welcomed a new one (she's quite lovely)smile.
Nursed my poorly husband through a nasty infection.
Got myself in a snit with my children - and hopefully have smoothed the feathers I ruffled. shock.
Booked a holiday in Cornwall for half term.
Packed to go on holiday tomorrow.
Eaten fish and chips in the parked car, at night, overlooking city lights.
Cleaned the house from top to bottom (3 floors).
Compered a concert.

Okay - over to you. What have you done during the last week?

morethan2 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:10:55

Went to work, came home.. Cleaned, cooked, washed,ironed X 4days
Looked after 3 grandchildren X 2 days (nackered)
Traveled by bus for first time in 16yrs (might not do it again)
Packed for holiday X 1 day
Next week will be better. I'll be on holiday ??⛱☀️✈️

TwiceAsNice Mon 05-Sep-16 22:57:52

Had barbecue with family and daughters friends- darling 9 month old baby who took a shine to me and little 3 year old who called me Granny all day because my grand- daughters did
Drove into town to do some shopping
Went to buy shoes for granddaughters ready to go back to school on Wednesday
Looked after them all day today so knackered
Did a pile of ironing and general housework
Went for a walk every day
Made a trifle
Phoned several friends
Watched new episode of Cold Feet
Went to the pub for tea
Read the Saturday papers
Sorted out some paperwork

Craftycat Tue 06-Sep-16 10:33:32

I did exactly what I wanted. I did not do masses of housework or gardening. I read a couple of good books in the garden with my feet up & visited friends.I made lavender shortbread because I love it. I have other friends coming over this afternoon for a craft session & I have had a lovely lazy time.
Reason?? The schools went back & I now have some time to myself having looked after DGC for several days a week over the holidays.
I thought I deserved a break so I had one & I am not feeling even a twinge of guilt.

Back to normal next week!

Grannyanna12345 Tue 06-Sep-16 10:37:05

DH away for the week so finally got round to a week of healthy eating. Lost one and a half kilos and felt so much better I cleared out a cupboard. Now to keep it up .....

Pinkshoes26 Tue 06-Sep-16 10:45:59

Gosh! my week is getting quieter with saying good buy to grand kids who stayed for x3 weeks. Toddler and child and then parents for a wile.
Son cooked a large sharing meal = roast lamb = 8 people very social & husband and I played host.
I homemade another meal to take round another house. 9 people.
Plenty of washing the pots. Washing and ironing too!
Walks to ducks, picnic on the beach. Picnic at the swings.
Had a hearing test at Boots. Dentist check up.
Gardening.
Silver polishing.
Cleaning house.
Visit to pound land shop.
Shopping online - grocery shop
Changed tariff with Scottish Power to a cheaper one.
New hobby = scrable online.
Visited neighbour for morning coffee.

oldgoose Tue 06-Sep-16 11:03:03

You are all so busy and clever ! I have:-
Been to Morrisons a couple of times
Took the Grandkids to an adventure park
Hoovered,dusted,cleaned the loo
changed my bed-linen
Went on a long drive in pouring rain to see my cousin
Met my sister for lunch
Written a not-so-nice letter to my landlord
Tried to sort out some songs for a show I am going to be in
Designed poster for said show
Had a row with other half
Had a dizzy spell whilst out shopping and went home for a sleep (no idea what that was all about)
Had my 8 year old autistic grand-daughter to stay overnight and she woke me at 6 am (I don't do early mornings any more)
Had a visit from an old friend and sat patiently while he told me things he had already told me on the phone
Read 2 books

ooooo more than I thought !

radicalnan Tue 06-Sep-16 11:20:58

Made decisions and changed my mind.
Worried far more than is helpful.
Couple of falls and a torn shoulder.
Mothered a son who is being a chump,so I was ignored but still sent the birthday stuff, keeping channels of communication open.
Worded the engraving for dad's headstone.
Treated myself to a funeral plan.
Worked towards making the house presentable as I may sell up.
Just getting up and facing the world every day takes all my energy.

Elegran Tue 06-Sep-16 11:21:39

Ordered a new microwave to replace the one I killed incinerating a baked potato, and took possession of said new Mwave. Can now heat up a cup of coffee or hot choc or a bowl of soup without dirtying a saucepan, and reheat a ready meal in five minutes instead of half an hour. Lazy cow.

Tried to get my printer/copier to work properly, looked online for "error A6A81" and attempted the cures suggested. Failed. Looked for new printer/copier with same spec - no models with all the features. Found replacement part online and ordered it - doesn't fit. Couldn't print out returns label for printer replacement part because printer not working. After several days DS came round and fixed printer in ten minutes. Printed label and returned replacement part.

Started rationalising late DH's workshop. Sorted a million or so hand and electric tools, electrical fittings, screws, nails, drill bits, wood, mouldings.

Sold a couple of heavy-duty tools on Gumtree, must list angle grinder soon and decide which of several electric drills to keep and which to sell/give away/dump.

Discovered a glue gun that I will use sometime.

Found a damp meter and wasted some time testing everything I could reach. Fascinating and occasionally worrying. Reassuring to find that the places in the cellar that I thought were damp are confirmed, and the places I thought were dry are dry. At least the meter's opinion tallies with my subjective one.

Unfolded a workbench and pinched my finger in a hinged strut. Swore. Applied dressing to cut and bruised finger. Couldn't let dressing/finger get wet for some days and couldn't get rubber glove on, so washed dishes one-handed and showered with arm stuck up in the air.

Read three books on Kindle.

Considered joining glass fusing workshop at EICA, but can't get there without a car. Wondered whether I could persuade someone with a car to sign up with me. Wasted some time reading about glass fusing online (looks fun) and about the EICA. Wondered whether we could do a meet-up there sometime. The more athletic could do the 100 ft climb, the rest could sit in the cafe watching and laughing.

Lupin Tue 06-Sep-16 11:28:18

Practiced my piano like mad ready for when lessons start again in two days. Minor scales committed to memory and trying to master a piece I find difficult.
Finished one book( an Erica James )and started another - non fic this time - about William Marshall.
Booked onto 3 courses for Autumn term - Alexander Technique,
a poetry course and another literary one.
General housework and cleaning 2 clogging drains.
Been on the bus with a friend to the coast to visit a local fort that's been there since Henry v111's time although it's been redeveloped over the years from Napoleonic times to WW2.
Followed by a long walk along the coast where we came across a work colleague we hadn't seen for years and caught up. Had a lovely lunch in a seafront restaurant.
Lovely long chat with daughter over the phone.
Cried over the attitude of a long time friend who seems to have dropped me - I know not why.

Lupatria Tue 06-Sep-16 11:50:18

this week i have continued with the "operation clean up" my grandaughters and i started at the beginning of the holidays to clear loads of mess [generally caused by them and their mother moving in with me - finding homes for everything is so difficult].
we had a new washing machine delivered on tuesday [failed attempt the week before as we couldn't turn off the water].
then we spent a day catching up with four weeks' washing - putting it all out on the line.
on wednesday we had a day out to longleat - wonderful time - after putting another load of washing out on the line.
on thursday i went out for a lovely meal with a friend at lunchtime and got back rather too late to take the washing in.
on friday we woke to rain - all over the washing!!!
so saturday was spent drying all that washing - and using loads of electricity - but as we had no clean clothes to wear it was something we just HAD to do.,
sunday we did nothing - nothing at all.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Sep-16 11:52:35

Have been travelling on a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam, currently on the first part of the Rhine with its beautiful villages , castles and churches along the river side. And the sun is shining.
Enjoy whatever you are doing too and greetings to you all from Germany.

Juggernaut Tue 06-Sep-16 11:55:47

Dug up the last potatoes from the veg patch.
Started on the garden autumn tidy up.
Helped DH put a new fence between us and next door (front).
Made new GS three pairs of 'jeans', lightweight chambray with elastic waist, also crocheted two more jumpers for the babe, it's great finally knowing what colour to use!
Made two skirts and two pairs of trousers for myself and three pairs of easy fit trousers for DH for our hols in October.
Had a chippy tea, it's a once a month treat!
Today I'm batch cooking for DS and DDiL's freezer, he goes back to work next week, and DDiL is still struggling a bit after her emergency C-sec, so they'll be having 'ready meals'.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Sep-16 12:12:14

Sigh! Some people have got it. Some haven't. hmm

Elegran Tue 06-Sep-16 12:15:03

Some lost it years ago, jings

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Sep-16 12:16:16

"Found a damp meter and wasted some time testing everything I could reach" (Elegran)

gin] Love it!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Sep-16 12:17:01

Not gin! Things ain't that bad.

grin

Bellasnana Tue 06-Sep-16 12:19:09

silverlining48 great to hear you are having a lovely trip. Had been wondering how you were getting on.smile

In the last week, I have adopted a puppy from Sicily and am amazed at how sweet and good he is. Only 5 months old, a dreadful start in life, but a quick learner.

Have also attended the funeral of a friend's husband. He died very suddenly whilst on his coffee break at work last week. Only 61. sad

An old friend came to visit last evening and we had a good catch up over a glass of wine.

Have put my back out so not getting much done as am in agony when I move.

Tessa101 Tue 06-Sep-16 12:21:44

Sorted out cupboard under stairs.
Sorted out wardrobe.
Trip to charity shop with clothes.
Changed photos in all my frames updated of grandchildren.
Washed and hoovered my car.
Bought a bycycle pump.
Large shop at Costco.
Walked dog.
Booked weekend away at end of month.
Spoke to my darling daughter in Australia on FaceTime for her birthday.

Mrsdof Tue 06-Sep-16 12:23:42

Looked after my GD for 2 nights, took and collected her from school. Went to a musical about the Small Faces in Southend (we live in Kent). Had a small bbq for GD's 8th birthday. Had a phone call at 1.30am Sunday to say my 97yr old Mum had been taken to Medway hospital after a fall on a day trip to Brighton. She fractured her cheekbone and broke a bone in the orbital socket around her eye. She looks like she has done a couple of rounds with Muhammad Ali! sad. Took her to another hospital in East Grinstead to make sure there were no underlying problems to her face. A&E nurses were all saying how incredible she is for her age which pleased her no end. Luckily she's fine and a real trooper. Did a 5k NHS walk and had a trip to the gym. Went to the pictures to see Bad Moms - quite funny. Had a check up at the docs and now need to fast for 14 hours for blood tests tomorrow. Had a quick check up and small filling at the dentist. Can finally relax and treat ourselves to a nice lunch before collecting my Mum so that we can Skype my sisters, one in Norfolk and the other in Connecticut. Then DS and DGD will be coming round for dinner. Before it all starts again tomorrow, but wouldn't have it any other way. smile

Arry Tue 06-Sep-16 12:55:17

Absolutely nothing!!

pauline42 Tue 06-Sep-16 13:03:44

It's been a lovely week -
An overnight trip up north with DD to collect GD from camp - she has been away for 2 weeks
A Pilates class
A spin class
A long bike ride
A game of tennis with three great girlfriends
A good weeding of my allotment
Pulling out straggly petunias from the flower boxes and tubs and replacing with chrysanthemums
DD and family over to supper
Taking a dear girlfriend out to dinner for her birthday
Planning a surprise day out for me to celebrate my upcoming 74th birthday next week!

Tegan Tue 06-Sep-16 13:08:54

Realised at long last that my relationship with my daughter is always going to be a ticking time bomb so have resolved to walk away from it #sadbeyondbelief

cornergran Tue 06-Sep-16 13:23:00

Oh Tegan, how difficult. flowers.

grannypiper Tue 06-Sep-16 13:33:04

sat on the beach and read a book, not bad for Scotland in September

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 13:35:14

Managed to put my bra on by myself

AND

Dried my own hair using hands free dryer

Progress......