Gransnet forums

Chat

Wish I knew who was doing this

(46 Posts)
sunseeker Sat 10-Sep-16 10:56:48

I recently had some turf laid which needs watering every day so I left the hose pipe attached to the outside tap (which is at the front of the house). When I got up on Friday morning I found the tap had been turned on and the garden was waterlogged. I know it wasn't on when I closed my curtains around 7.30 Thursday night. Friday afternoon I returned home to find the tap had been turned on again - this time so hard that I wasn't able to turn it off (I had to get my neighbour to come across to do it for me). So I disconnected the hose and put it away. This morning I got up and again the tap has been turned on! I have put out a message on the village email asking whoever it is to stop. One neighbour said she had noticed the hose pipe running yesterday afternoon but assumed I was in the middle of watering the garden and had just put the hose down for a minute. I am now arranging for someone to come and put a lockable box around the tap! I am assuming it is someone who thinks it is a joke but can't say I find it funny angry

Nandalot Sat 10-Sep-16 11:04:22

How horrible and how bizarre. I hope you are not on a water meter.

Cherrytree59 Sat 10-Sep-16 11:06:01

Oh heck Sunseeker
I hope you are not on a water meter!
A lockable box around your tap may be the answer.
Possibly a youngster prank.

jusnoneed Sat 10-Sep-16 11:54:58

Some people need to find something better to do with their time, what satisfaction do they get from such stupid behavour?
A friend of mine discovered someone had been around the back of her house and turned on the tap of the water butt, why? It happened a couple of times while they were away, so they had to go the expense of having a high gate put on to stop access. So now they have to unlock/lock up every time they want to go from one part of the garden to another or put the bins out.

harrysgran Sun 11-Sep-16 09:17:44

I wouldn't be happy I'm on a meter can you loosen the top bit of the tap that you turn and pop it back on when you need it.

Mumsyface Sun 11-Sep-16 09:37:54

Just as well you don't know who is doing it - you might be tempted to murder them!

harrigran Sun 11-Sep-16 09:49:13

This is not just a prank it is deliberate to spoil your garden. Perhaps you have a neighbour who is jealous of your garden. CCTV is an option then you will know for sure.
Someone walked up to my front door and unscrewed a slate which displayed the house number ? we installed CCTV and have had no further problems.

VIOLETTE Sun 11-Sep-16 10:09:03

CCTV a good idea ....if expense is too great, I believe most of the DIY shops and Amazon now do a 'cctv 'camera'' which is false ...but uses a battery so it shows a red light, and swivels ....might act as a deterrent ....how about an alarm as well, on the tap if you can ...you can buy those little alarms that hang up now, or a trip wire someone will trip over when they enter the back garden (don't forget to take it up in the mornings though !)some sticky paint (but then you might get it on your hands as well !) .....what a horrible individual/individuals to do this ! maybe if they leave the tap on long enough they will drown themselves !

boggles Sun 11-Sep-16 10:27:27

Have any of your neighbours got CCTV which might have picked up something.

Peaseblossom Sun 11-Sep-16 11:38:57

What a nasty thing to do. I have a water meter so I wouldn't be too pleased. Strange place to have a garden tap, mine is at the back of the house, but I've got a semi-detached house. Not sure what you do with a terraced house. Is it possible to have the tap moved to the back of the house?

sunseeker Sun 11-Sep-16 11:45:49

Update. Just received a visit from an angry mother and her apologetic 12/13 year old son! He noticed the hose when he was walking up the lane to walk the dog and thought it would be funny to switch it on - he didn't realise it would be on all night! He also turned on the tap the other times, as a joke! Anyway when his parents were discussing my email on the village system he owned up to it. He has apparently received a lecture from his father regarding the waste of water and how elderly (!) people living alone could be intimidated by this kind of behaviour. He apologised to me and has had his games console and phone taken away and been grounded for a week, he is only allowed supervised computer access to do his homework. I think his apology was genuine and the punishment from his parents is enough, however, they have asked me to think of something he can do for me to make amends. I don't really want to punish him further but at the same time I don't want to undermine his parents ideas of discipline.

chloe1984 Sun 11-Sep-16 11:49:05

Our outside water tap is at the front of the house ,this kept happening to us and we are on a water meter. In the end we had a separate supply to the tap installed inside the house which we now turn off when we are not using it. Bit of a faff but can do without the worry of it being turned on in the middle of the night - put it down to teenagers but who knows what sort of people take delight in this sort of action.

annsixty Sun 11-Sep-16 11:50:21

Well done those parents. I hope he learns from it.

thatbags Sun 11-Sep-16 11:50:32

I'm glad the culprit has been found and that he has apologised. Re the something for him to do, do you have any paths that need sweeping?

dramatictessa Sun 11-Sep-16 11:51:51

Maybe he could mow the lawn a few times once it's ready to be cut?

Eloethan Sun 11-Sep-16 11:55:45

At least he owned up.

GrannyBing Sun 11-Sep-16 11:55:55

Probably just a bit of opportunistic mischief-making Sunseeker, although strange your neighbours haven't seen or heard anyone.
Reminds me of the time I discovered someone had cut approx a 4 feet length out of my washing line in the back garden. Never found out who or why, but it spooked me so much I took the line down and never replaced it. Plus had a new gate put at the side of the house and some security lighting!

Mildred Sun 11-Sep-16 11:56:28

As thatbags says and an ice cream or sweets. Just as a thank you for manning up and to make friends. He could have just kept quiet.

GrannyBing Sun 11-Sep-16 11:58:41

Just seem your update Sunseeker, glad the mystery is solved. Sounds like the parents handled it well.

EmilyHarburn Sun 11-Sep-16 12:22:12

Perhaps he should help you plant something either in bowels for Christmas or in the flower bed so that he learns something new and can take an interest on how the plants are progressing.

millymouge Sun 11-Sep-16 13:29:49

Isn't it good that his parents care enough to make,him apologies and remove some of his privileges. So many these days don't seem to bother. Glad for you that it is all sorted.

Teddy123 Sun 11-Sep-16 13:31:39

I'm glad the mystery has been solved; I imagine it was very disconcerting. Much as he has apologised I would thank the parents etc but also mention that you will be comparing your water usage with the same period last year once your half yearly bill arrives. And then this boy can reimburse you for the extra cost from his pocket money. I dread to think how much was used and at his age, he really knew he was doing wrong!!!!

cornergran Sun 11-Sep-16 13:41:22

Pleased the mystery has been solved sunseeker. His parents desire for him to help you is admirable but presents problems as well. I agree with a previous poster, is wouldn't be good to undermine his parents but it has to be something that genuinely works for you. I think if it were me I might suggest something like leaf clearing when the leaves fall, cutting a lawn, or as bags suggested sweeping paths. Nothing major. I would also be offering him a drink, maybe a nice cake (he is a boy!) or some biscuits and have a friendly chat. Best to part on good terms. he was brave to own up and has done the right thing, as have his parents, but best not to overdo the harshness I think. So pleased he did own up, guess he won't be doing anything like that again smile Of course if your water bill is huge you may like to speak with his parents about that again, but I don't think it fair to leave it hanging over the boy's head until the bill arrives, unless you have one due in the next few weeks and are clear with both the boy and his parents why you haven't yet suggested any reparation.

Gracesgran Sun 11-Sep-16 13:44:46

That young man is very lucky in his parents and very good at heart as he owned up.

Strangely I can see problems coming up with my neighbour who I saw chopping back my holly bush on her side this morning. It is slow growing and she hasn't just cut off any overhanging bits but right back to the trunk and it is planted well within my garden. I have really lovely neighbours but she is bad tempered and has attacked a plant in my boarder in the past. No teenager here - she will be in her late 70s!

lizzypopbottle Sun 11-Sep-16 13:44:52

Bulbs are planted at this time of year. He could put some in bowls as well as in the garden. He might end up with a career in horticulture!