Gransnet forums

Chat

Wish I knew who was doing this

(47 Posts)
sunseeker Sat 10-Sep-16 10:56:48

I recently had some turf laid which needs watering every day so I left the hose pipe attached to the outside tap (which is at the front of the house). When I got up on Friday morning I found the tap had been turned on and the garden was waterlogged. I know it wasn't on when I closed my curtains around 7.30 Thursday night. Friday afternoon I returned home to find the tap had been turned on again - this time so hard that I wasn't able to turn it off (I had to get my neighbour to come across to do it for me). So I disconnected the hose and put it away. This morning I got up and again the tap has been turned on! I have put out a message on the village email asking whoever it is to stop. One neighbour said she had noticed the hose pipe running yesterday afternoon but assumed I was in the middle of watering the garden and had just put the hose down for a minute. I am now arranging for someone to come and put a lockable box around the tap! I am assuming it is someone who thinks it is a joke but can't say I find it funny angry

BlueBelle Mon 12-Sep-16 10:22:56

Well done him and well done to the parents takes courage to admit to a wrongdoing many wouldn't

Don't give him weeding it might put him off gardening for life smile

How about asking him to do something caring for someone else, an elderly person or a little one, in fact passing the good will on, instead of a punishment which shouldn't be needed as he has got his punishment by losing his games privileges

I agree make a friend of him and the rest will follow, forgiveness is a powerful ' weapon'

GillT57 Mon 12-Sep-16 10:09:14

Glad it is all sorted, and well done that boy for owning up and for his parents dealing with it in an adult and responsible way. I am sure he had no idea about water meters and such, and it was just a prank that went a bit wrong. I would suggest you make a friend of him, ply him with cake and he will be on your side, and will realise the human impact of seemingly little, joking, actions.

POGS Mon 12-Sep-16 09:48:37

What a good story. It's odd to say the 'naughty lad' deserves praise but he obviously has been brought up by good parents and the whole thing sounds as though it has been handled well.

Nice to know it was not done maliciously.

Granarchist Mon 12-Sep-16 09:37:34

Absent - I do take your point, and all of my chldren's friends are lovely, but working with others it is not always so. We were running a disco for teenagers and one 14 yr old boy was seen rolling a spliff in the toilets by the venue manager. We telephoned his parents and asked them to remove him - they arrived - furious their evening had been disrupted and accusing us of picking on their son as we 'obviously knew he had recently been expelled from school for drug dealing' - actually we didn't have a clue. They assumed their darling boy had been set up both by us and by his school!!! Unbelievable.

Ilrina Mon 12-Sep-16 00:00:39

Nice to see Parents doing this, it seems a rare thing these days. Perhaps you could have the Boy dig some borders for you, show him how things grow and thrive, who knows this could be the start of something good for the both of you smile

absent Sun 11-Sep-16 23:53:13

I agree that it was honest that the boy owned up to his silly prank and that the parents took appropriate action. That's praiseworthy on both parts. However, I don't agree that most parents would ignore or defend the offence these days. Some Gransnetters seem to have rather a low opinion of our children's generation.

hulahoop Sun 11-Sep-16 20:04:49

Glad you got it sorted and well done to boy's parents there are too many parents today who would either say not my child or just shrug it off I think his punishment is just but you could maybe suggest help with lawn when it's grown ?

Spangles1963 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:22:09

Wow! Parents who actually punish their child for doing something unacceptable! These days,it seems to me that most parents go on the defensive if their child is caught doing anything wrong.

Blodwen1910 Sun 11-Sep-16 17:30:15

EmilyHarburn - Are you really suggesting that the young lad should plant things in "your bowels"????

Charleygirl Sun 11-Sep-16 17:23:03

I also am impressed that he had the courage to own up and his parents reacted the way that they did. I hope that you become friends and that he will want to help out willingly once he discovers that you are not an ogre.

Granarchist Sun 11-Sep-16 17:17:20

I am so impressed by the boy owning up and by the parents' reaction. Stupendous. Quite restores my faith in modern parents who, in my experience as a youth leader, tend to go for the 'my children right or wrong' approach these days. I do hope he turns out to be a useful chap later on.

Lupin Sun 11-Sep-16 17:11:07

He did own up which impresses me as do the actions of his parents.
If your water bill is unacceptably higher then you could try telling your water company what happened and they may let you off the increase. My plumber advised me to do this when my toilet cistern ran all the time, and my grandsons also left the bath taps on. My water company (Anglia Water) did agree on a one off basis.

marionk Sun 11-Sep-16 17:08:52

Make friends with him, he sounds like a nicely brought up young man at that silly age, he may well prove to be an interesting and helpful friend in the future

Nandalot Sun 11-Sep-16 17:07:28

I am really pleased that he owned up and that parents are taking it seriously. Some good suggestions already re the penance.

Sheilasue Sun 11-Sep-16 16:26:01

At least he owned up to his parents, maybe he could do dome weeding for you.

Linsco56 Sun 11-Sep-16 15:13:23

Responsible parents and an honourable (albeit mischievous) young lad!

As Disgruntled has suggested, something you could do together. Perhaps planting some daffodil/tulip bulbs.

Glad the mystery has been resolved.

TriciaF Sun 11-Sep-16 14:53:25

The boy did well to own up, and his parents dealt with it well too.
I'm wondering whether you will have to pay for all that water, if you don't have a meter? If the water board do have a way of measuring it you could get a nasty shock. As cornergran says, if you're charged for it, definitely go back to the parents, they or the boy should help financially.

joannewton46 Sun 11-Sep-16 14:26:16

Helping with the gardening would definitely be the way to make amends. Can you think of something either very wet or very dirty - possibly with a slice of cake afterwards to acknowledge his efforts.

Swanny Sun 11-Sep-16 14:10:46

Well done to that boy and his parents! Yes, you do need to follow up the parents' decision that he helps you in some way and I think planting a few bulbs in pots or bowls (rather than EmilyHarburn's typo bowels!) would be a really good idea. Perhaps you could then give him/his parents a bowl of budding hyacinths at Christmas?

Do hope the new turf didn't suffer any lasting damage smile

Lewlew Sun 11-Sep-16 13:50:32

Wow, that's an amazing response from the parents and the boy! (For this day and age).

Kids do pranks, and this was relatively harmless compared to what some kids get up to with criminal damage to property and cars.

Maybe he might enjoy doing some of the suggested gardening with you to get to know you personally. Does not have to be a big 'punishment' job, more of a bonding thing. You may end up with a nice strong young lad to help with the gardening for pocket money in the future as he grows.

This was a lovely post to read... brightened my Sunday morning a lot. grin

Disgruntled Sun 11-Sep-16 13:48:39

What about an indoor job, something small, that you do with him, so that you can have a conversation with him: you can tell him it spooked you but/and you are very impressed by him owning up. Something to open up a dialogue between you, make a connection. Then tea and cake. You might find an ally...

lizzypopbottle Sun 11-Sep-16 13:44:52

Bulbs are planted at this time of year. He could put some in bowls as well as in the garden. He might end up with a career in horticulture!

Gracesgran Sun 11-Sep-16 13:44:46

That young man is very lucky in his parents and very good at heart as he owned up.

Strangely I can see problems coming up with my neighbour who I saw chopping back my holly bush on her side this morning. It is slow growing and she hasn't just cut off any overhanging bits but right back to the trunk and it is planted well within my garden. I have really lovely neighbours but she is bad tempered and has attacked a plant in my boarder in the past. No teenager here - she will be in her late 70s!

cornergran Sun 11-Sep-16 13:41:22

Pleased the mystery has been solved sunseeker. His parents desire for him to help you is admirable but presents problems as well. I agree with a previous poster, is wouldn't be good to undermine his parents but it has to be something that genuinely works for you. I think if it were me I might suggest something like leaf clearing when the leaves fall, cutting a lawn, or as bags suggested sweeping paths. Nothing major. I would also be offering him a drink, maybe a nice cake (he is a boy!) or some biscuits and have a friendly chat. Best to part on good terms. he was brave to own up and has done the right thing, as have his parents, but best not to overdo the harshness I think. So pleased he did own up, guess he won't be doing anything like that again smile Of course if your water bill is huge you may like to speak with his parents about that again, but I don't think it fair to leave it hanging over the boy's head until the bill arrives, unless you have one due in the next few weeks and are clear with both the boy and his parents why you haven't yet suggested any reparation.

Teddy123 Sun 11-Sep-16 13:31:39

I'm glad the mystery has been solved; I imagine it was very disconcerting. Much as he has apologised I would thank the parents etc but also mention that you will be comparing your water usage with the same period last year once your half yearly bill arrives. And then this boy can reimburse you for the extra cost from his pocket money. I dread to think how much was used and at his age, he really knew he was doing wrong!!!!