Gransnet forums

Chat

First day on my own

(40 Posts)
PaulB Fri 16-Sep-16 14:41:17

Well, it finally came about yesterday. Daughter had to go into work for a 'keep in touch day.' Who knew there was such a thing? Luckily, SIL was working from home so would be available for any emergencies. Anyway, off she went and immediately DG went into meltdown. I flashbacked over 30 years when my daughter suffered terrible colic, but stuck with it. Walking about the house, into the garden and trying all sorts of different toys, to no avail. I'd also forgotten how much your back plays an important part in childcare! Feeling it today (my 60th birthday). SIL and I together managed to calm her and got her ready and took her out to a local cafe where I saw another grandad with his GC. We gave each other knowing glances and quite a few mental fist pumps. Then meltdown No.2 saw me taking her out in the pram for a walk. Her crying was so loud that the local dogs we passed were scared. Finally, DD returned and, most importantly, brought her boobs with her smile How did I feel? Scared, worried, insecure etc, all the usual emotions. I've discussed it with my daughter, and mentally dissected it myself, and I've come to the conclusion that it can only get better and easier as time goes on. Here's hoping

Jane10 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:51:13

Of course it will! Well done though. Its a start sunshine

Jane10 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:51:58

and Happy birthday!

ninathenana Fri 16-Sep-16 14:53:10

Happy Birthday ? Paul
Your right it can only get better smile

Is your daughter leaving you with bottles of expressed milk and is GD used to drinking from the bottle?
H was great with ours when they were very young and with GC and has happily had them for the day but I know he wouldn't want to do full time child care. wine reward yourself

Lisalou Fri 16-Sep-16 14:53:20

Aw, hugs. You sound like you need them. Yes, of course it will get better. She is only tiny (a few months i seem to remember?). It is probably just that she has always been with mum pretty exclusively. Maybe if there is still some time before mum goes to work full time, you could have a short period daily with her (mum can go and have hair done, nails, do the shopping, etc) so you and baby can get used to each other, if that makes sense. Good luck!!!

Linsco56 Fri 16-Sep-16 15:00:08

Happy birthday Paul ? Your post made me laugh and feel sorry for you at the same time. I'm sure it will get better and easier with time.

Charleygirl Fri 16-Sep-16 15:16:50

Happy birthday Paul- my first thought was have you regretted taking this on?!!! Life can only improve- she has been so used to mum being around.

Mildred Fri 16-Sep-16 15:25:35

Happy birthday Paul my granddaughter (3) has meltdowns too when we mind her and when she goes to nursery, just like her Mum used too. We are picking her up from nursery on Monday as her Mum is going to the dentist. But she is absolutely adorable and has a lovely sense of humour.

Anya Fri 16-Sep-16 16:21:00

Well done and welcome to the world of Childcare By Grandparents. Stick with it, it gets easier and keeps you fit and young.

if you believe that you'll believe anything

BUT there are advantages. You will sleep better, as you'll be so knackered at the end of the day you'll be out like a light the moment your head hits the pillow. The second one you have already experienced.... the Pure Relief if handing them back at the end of the day. Unmitigated joy. And finally the days you have for yourself will suddenly become very important and valued.

But.....I still miss those days now all my grandchildren are at school sad

PS Happy Birthday wine

Newquay Fri 16-Sep-16 22:25:00

Happy birthday you Saint you!
I agree you should see her for short bursts (even if Mum is in other room even) so she gets used to you-hope you have enough time to do this before you start properly.
Are you having her all day every day? Mon-Fri? What times? Or have I missed that post?
Yes the back doesn't like childcare at our age. . . . .

Newquay Fri 16-Sep-16 22:25:34

Oh and remember when she rests so must you-proper feet up and a nap if possible!

cornergran Fri 16-Sep-16 22:54:51

Happy birthday and congratulations on day one of what will be an enormously tiring but rewarding task

There has been lots of good advice, especially the one about resting when the little one does - the only way I got through 10 hours on Monday smile. As you get to know the other Mums, Dads and Grandparents (and you will, nothing like a little one in a pushchair to attract crowds), you will learn it isn't just you and in discussion will hear lots you can make use of. If you don't mind going why not seeming if there Are baby care classes locally? Good for the confidence. You will be fine, two things about babies. They don't come with instruction books and they don't know when you get something not quite right. Our little grandson didn't seem to mind a bit when Grandma didn't quite align his nappy and his nap turned into something of a pooh fest. He just laughed. You will,soon have a fabulous bond, please enjoy this magical time.

Newquay Sat 17-Sep-16 09:18:17

Hear hear corner Gran-you're in for a fabulous time-just brace yourself now for heartbreak when she trots off happily to school-without you! Lol!

BlueBelle Sat 17-Sep-16 13:03:09

Welcome to the next 15 years of ups and downs by 15 they re too busy to remember you exist
Well done granddad

Luckygirl Sat 17-Sep-16 20:09:16

We have had one of our GC for a day a week for several years and now also have her wee brother on another day. Grab this wonderful opportunity with both hands - it has been a joy and they are growing up so fast and will be off to school before you can blink. sad

It is so rewarding - but so tiring!! smile

Jalima Sat 17-Sep-16 20:26:59

Happy birthday Paul
And well done for surviving this day smile

I remember the trials of a colicky baby, but your DGD was just missing her mum and knew that things were different, hope she will be fine next time.

Jalima Sat 17-Sep-16 20:29:42

Yes, our youngest DGD has just gone off to school, we looked after her too, and will feel a bit lost on that one day.
(I met her from school on that day this week, looking so grownup in her little uniform)

silverlining48 Sun 18-Sep-16 09:49:50

If it's a contact day assume your daughter still isn't back to work so the suggestion of spending time with the baby in the interim is a good one. Happy days, just wait til s/he is a toddler and on the run. Best get in training now...?

nosnibor3 Sun 18-Sep-16 09:58:21

Just a practical tip, a t-shirt that mum has worn (& is unwashed) can do a great deal to settle the tinies.The only consequence of this is that when she is 4 years old (plus?) she will be wandering around with a manky piece of cloth that bears no resemblance to the original garment. Happy Days & well done,and remember that not even mums can always calm the crying babe!

Elysium Sun 18-Sep-16 10:06:14

PaulB - I've just seen off second grandchild to his new school this lady week and I would like to say, it has been a privilege to look after both GC through their formative years on a daily basis and realise how lucky I have been to do it. Despite being self employed, I was still able to look after them, since young whilst their parents went to work. They have brought tears, tantrums and a lot of happiness too. Now they've both moved on, although still helping them in small ways, I am able to carry on working (because I have to) and have to get my life back on track to do other things. But knowing that many do not get this opportunity, I would not have missed it, so please enjoy and learn to relax and play too. It's like a second childhood!

marionk Sun 18-Sep-16 16:32:39

In the future there will be less rocking and floor pacing, but oh my goodness those meltdowns will be 100 times worse!! Love them to bits but even earplugs won't cut it, enjoy ?

Maimeo Sun 18-Sep-16 16:38:03

Happy birthday, Paul! Bet you never thought you'd celebrate your 60th in quite this way! Well done on how you managed, it'll get easier as you get used to each other. Hope you enjoyed some celebrations in the evening???

mancgirl Sun 18-Sep-16 18:53:24

I'm so glad I read this thread. I am having dgs 1 day a week from end October. I've been so worried about coping and I didn't know why. I've had him for the odd half day or few hours but the only full day I did have him stressed me out! He was fine all day but when it got to the witching hour - 6pm ish - he cried and cried. My own son was colicky so it's not like I hadn't experienced it, although 30 something years ago! I was counting the hours until he was reclaimed! Now I love this little boy so much I was surprised to feel so anxious. I'm planning lovely days for when I have him and can't wait. I've put it down to being out of practice (and age!).

hulahoop Sun 18-Sep-16 19:20:49

Make the most of this time they grow up so fast hope you had a good birthday

queenofsaanich69 Sun 18-Sep-16 20:46:12

If you have problems turn on a tap,usually children love running water !Mirrors work as they get older,don't worry as they get older they cry because you are leaving when Mum gets home ! Good luck