Gransnet forums

Chat

First day on my own

(41 Posts)
PaulB Fri 16-Sep-16 14:41:17

Well, it finally came about yesterday. Daughter had to go into work for a 'keep in touch day.' Who knew there was such a thing? Luckily, SIL was working from home so would be available for any emergencies. Anyway, off she went and immediately DG went into meltdown. I flashbacked over 30 years when my daughter suffered terrible colic, but stuck with it. Walking about the house, into the garden and trying all sorts of different toys, to no avail. I'd also forgotten how much your back plays an important part in childcare! Feeling it today (my 60th birthday). SIL and I together managed to calm her and got her ready and took her out to a local cafe where I saw another grandad with his GC. We gave each other knowing glances and quite a few mental fist pumps. Then meltdown No.2 saw me taking her out in the pram for a walk. Her crying was so loud that the local dogs we passed were scared. Finally, DD returned and, most importantly, brought her boobs with her smile How did I feel? Scared, worried, insecure etc, all the usual emotions. I've discussed it with my daughter, and mentally dissected it myself, and I've come to the conclusion that it can only get better and easier as time goes on. Here's hoping

Deedaa Sun 18-Sep-16 21:59:37

I was just reminding DS that when GS2 was first left with me as a toddler he would shut himself in the bedroom and scream solidly for about half an hour. Now he can hardly be bothered to say goodbye to his mother when she leaves.

Thebeeb Sun 18-Sep-16 22:57:14

Been there still doing it and on my fourth now.

Highs, lows, good and bad. Best advice take each day as it comes.

Dread it sometimes but when they walk in the door love them to bits. Soooo funny, tiring and unexpected!!! just wish I wasn't so anxious and could just enjoy it because the last 8 years has flown by so very fast.

Flowerofthewest Mon 19-Sep-16 07:12:51

Baby app on phone. It's wonderful. Turn sound to white noise or dopler (sounds of mums womb) works wonders

Newquay Mon 19-Sep-16 08:49:56

Yes and looking out of the window searching for birdies or cars, in fact, anything often works

cornergran Mon 19-Sep-16 09:50:29

you get so used to 'chuntering' to little ones there's a risk of doing it when minus the child, get some strange looks grin

Nelliemoser Mon 19-Sep-16 15:54:49

Until very recently DS2 now 18mnths got in a real paddy if his mum went out of his sight. He is a lot better now but I looked after him a couple of times and he just screamed.
He kept trying to throw himself backwards out of my arms but then if I put him on the floor he would just crawl back for a cuddle and scream again.
I think he has finally understood I am not a great big Nanan monster and has turned out to be quite friendly.

Newquay Tue 20-Sep-16 07:38:52

Phew Nellie moser bet that was hard work! But persistence pays doesn't it?
Yes Cornergran I find myself rocking backwards and forwards slightly sometimes. . . . .

Lewlew Tue 20-Sep-16 10:52:18

Happy Birthday, Paul wine flowers cupcake

I'm 67 this week and have a 14 month old DGD! We pick her up once a week (so far) about noon from nursery. That helps a lot as she is used to being with other people, eg being held by various other adults. That solved a lot of the clinginess with DIL, as before DIL went back to work, DGD was with her all day all the time.

Before nursery, she'd fuss when DIL would come into the room and we were holding her... she'd almost leap out of my arms trying to reach DIL, and fussing her head off it DIL didn't take her right away. And you are right, she wanted the boob, even though we were left with breast milk in a jug. I didn't know until my DIL told me that her boobs actually 'jumped' when the baby cried!

Her going to nursery has sorted that beginning at 10 months, and now she's happy with almost anyone LOL!

How old is yours?

Sulis Tue 20-Sep-16 14:38:42

Aha! And congrats on surviving. I started this summer to care one day a week for my new grandaughter - I'm 70 ..... well the first time I was completely knackered - I have a broken back and knees that both need replacing - so I slept for most of the next day. But as the months progress I am actually getting more accustomed to it - and yes - fitter too and more and more able to cope. Now when she visits I get huge smiles and she reaches out for me. It DOES get better and better, hang on in there it is all so very worth it.

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Sep-16 15:36:58

The issue is perhaps the breastfeeding.
Good for your daughter to be doing this, it's the best start in life as everyone now knows - but poor old you to not have the required equipment!
As this was just a "keep in touch" visit, I hope you have a while longer for you, your daughter and the little one to adapt and, as ninathenana says, to get used to breast feeding from bottles!
A pat on the back is surely due for getting through this tricky first day.

shysal Tue 20-Sep-16 15:49:48

Have you actually moved in yet? I assume this will be before the Mum returns to work, so there will be a period of adjustment and the baby will get used to you being around. I do hope all will go well for the whole family, you are very brave! How many hours a day will you be doing the childcare? Hope there will be 'you' time as well.

Shirlmidd Wed 21-Sep-16 07:12:22

Belated birthday greeting Paul. I was also apprehensive when I was first handed my 9 month old Grandson for the day when his Mum went back to work -and that was after 28years of caring for babies as a nurse! There seemed so much of a maternal pull on me to get it right! Yes we had our good days and bad days and yes I am cream crackered at the end of the day but we have built up a glorious relationship and I hope he adores his Narnie as much I as do him. Keeping busy with activities makes the time pass so much quicker and you feel like a child yourself again. I'm an expert on Thomas the Tank Engine and all his friends now! When baby has a nap get your feet up and relax/nap!!! You get in and much as you give out and the rewards of that beautiful Grandparent/Grandchild relationship is wonderful. Good luck. ?

PaulB Wed 21-Sep-16 08:59:58

Thank you all so much for the replies and very welcome advise. To add to the worries, we've just picked up the keys to the new house we'll all be living in, so there's the stress of a house move to suffer as well. On a positive note, I'm finally getting to clear my old house of more then 20 years of the crap I've managed to collect and start anew. I've been dragging my heels since my wife passed away (over 12 years ago) and found it very hard to let go so am finally making the big move. Go me!!

shysal Wed 21-Sep-16 09:09:08

Hope the move goes well, Paul. Onwards and upwards!

Swanny Wed 21-Sep-16 09:56:34

PaulB Good luck with the move and the new career as childminder!!

I moved from a 2-bed house with garden on the coast to a 'studio apartment' in London to look after DGS when DIL went back to work. I had to clear tons of 'stuff' and spent a week doing runs to charity shops and the tip. Brought a lot of old paperwork with me to sort in the evenings or while DGS was having a nap. Ha ha! Some of it is still waiting to be gone through 6 years later as I was too exhausted in the evenings grin Often fell asleep on the bus going home as a journey which should have taken 25 minutes usually took twice as long, as I was travelling through the City in rush-hour sad

I've moved again since then and am now just one walkable mile away from the family. My DGS is at school so I have no reason not to get the shredder out, during term-time anyway smile

I hope your move goes well and you have lots of magical times with your DGD and family. I am very lucky and very happy.