Gransnet forums

Chat

Oak Furniture Land - never again!

(30 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 02-Oct-16 16:25:22

There is a branch of this in our local town now - they also sell online. I went in to the local branch this morning to buy a mirror - it was half price - that was what attracted me.

I chose one and the salesman said that I would get a free pot of their special wax with it and that if it ever cracked it would be replaced with no quibble - fine thought I.

I sit down by his computer terminal and after a bit of clicking and clacking an invoice appeared on the screen with an extra £29.99 on it - he was about to print it when I asked him what this was. Oh - that is for the no quibble guarantee that it will be replaced if it cracks and for the "free" wax. Hmm.

Well - thanks for that but I just want a mirror - end of. He didn't like it but he duly removed this item from the invoice.

He then presented me with 4 sheets of paper that needed signing: 2 copies of 2 forms accepting their terms and conditions and another agreeing that the item would arrive packed and we would have to unpack it. I duly signed - it is a nice mirror and very reasonably priced.

I then returned home where I found TWENTY emails from oakfurnitureland confirming the order and outlining the terms and conditions again.

I both rang the local store and complained and sent a message of complaint to their customer service, also making it clear that I would not be shopping with them again.

Anyone else used them?

mcem Sun 02-Oct-16 16:41:14

Yes and am very happy.
3 years ago I was served by a very pleasant young man with no pressure at all. Don't remember lots of paperwork so it can't have been too bad.
I have tv unit, coffee table, nest of tables and small drawer unit. All heavy solid well-made and still look very good thanks to the free wax.
My sister has just ordered her new furniture there and was pleased to hear that her purchase entitled her to a free and very attractive mirror.
An additional free gift was for me the large sturdy delivery box which was easily converted to a playhouse and provided bours of fun for the DCs.
Sorry you had all the hassle but felt I had to redress the balance.

Purpledaffodil Sun 02-Oct-16 16:47:12

Unbalanced again sorry, because DS ordered dining chairs and table from them and it took 4 changes of chair before he got a set which didn't have screws/nails poking up in the seat.
We use Cotswold, great service and good quality, so far and we've had quite a few pieces from them.

Cherrytree59 Sun 02-Oct-16 16:52:24

Yes both my sister and I have used them. With out any problems
I had the free wax and mirror with the dining room suit.
Although I'm sure both just a freebie gimmick and the cost of both added in to the furniture price.
Always buy in the sale, which seem to be a regular occurrence

KatyK Sun 02-Oct-16 18:26:05

Yes. We bought a dining table and chairs and a dresser from them a few years ago. The service was great. A large flower arrangement tipped over on the table during the night and when we got up in the morning and found it the table was damaged by the water. They came out and sorted it for us free of charge.

rosesarered Sun 02-Oct-16 18:44:01

Yes, used them for all sorts of furniture, ditto the Cotswolds Company, bith very good products and service.We will have to change your name Luckygirl grin

rosesarered Sun 02-Oct-16 18:45:33

It may have just been a new assistant there, so he did things wrongly.

Luckygirl Sun 02-Oct-16 18:55:11

Katyk - I think you will find that you paid for that under this £29.99 add-on.

NfkDumpling Sun 02-Oct-16 20:27:51

Side board, nest of tables, side table and large TV unit bought last year. No hassle, no problems. Delivered when they said - but it would have been nice if they'd unpacked and put the handles on etc. I really must re-anoint them with the nice free wax!

Strangely, Oak Furnitureland ads have appeared at the top and side of this page. Am I being spied on?!

Irma Sun 02-Oct-16 21:47:13

Computer desk, CD cabinet, TV unit, nest of tables, dining table and chairs, display cabinet, no problems and quite all of free polish. Shame they don't unpack

grannyactivist Sun 02-Oct-16 22:54:44

My dining room, bedroom, sitting room and hall have all been furnished by Oak Furniture Land and the service has been outstanding. I ordered a cabinet that arrived within a week, on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, and found there was a very slight problem with it. My call was answered promptly and I was offered a discount to keep the cabinet or, if I preferred, they would exchange it. I opted for the latter and my replacement arrived within the (Christmas!) week. My mother in law likes my furniture so much she has bought some identical pieces.

Eloethan Sun 02-Oct-16 23:37:34

Yes, we got our dining room table and chairs, nest of tables and a sideboard and mirror from them about a year or so ago. We were very happy with the service and, touch wood, have had no problems with the furniture. For solid wood, I think it is pretty good value.

Pigglywiggly Sat 08-Oct-16 06:49:44

There was an item on the consumer programme with Gloria Hunniford about Oak Furniture Land. There do seem to be plenty of disgruntled customers so it is quite nice to hear that some people are happy. After the programme I made a mental note to give them a wide berth.

Thingmajig Sat 08-Oct-16 10:36:46

We bought our dining table and chairs, sideboard, coffee table and a bookcase from them when we moved to our current house and we are very pleased with the service and the furniture. We got a free mirror which is also lovely!

Tobyjugg Mon 10-Oct-16 00:54:09

I agree to get a very ordinary chest of drawers I had to sign more papers than I signed to buy the house it's going in. As for overpriced wax and a "guarantee" (it's solid wood - what needs guaranteeing?) I said no to both. Can't see us buying from them again. All in all, a really unpleasant experience.

millymouge Mon 10-Oct-16 07:55:33

Bought from them last year. Very satisfied. As to the unpacking, we were told that they would not be able to do this when they delivered. However, as they started carrying in I did, as I always do to people delivering very large items, offered them a cup of tea. This was readily accepted and whilst drinking they said they would unpack for us. All we had to do was dispose of the packing at our local recycling centre. Problem solved! We also got the "free" mirror, just what we wanted for the bedroom wall.

trendygran Mon 10-Oct-16 15:19:42

I bought three items of furniture from them when I moved earlier this year. The salesman was helpful and informative without being pushy and I am very happy with the furniture . If he had been pushy I would have left the store quickly without a purchase. Wish I had thought of the cup of tea millymouge as had to unpack the furniture mainly on my own which wasn't easy.
Sorry not everyone had a good experience with them.

Teetime Mon 10-Oct-16 15:30:44

Yes our dining room furniture cam from OFL about 7 years ago and still as good as new- can't fault them.

Luckygirl Mon 10-Oct-16 19:16:56

Mirror arrived. With some difficulty, as I cannot bend well, and we lifted it up in order to find any screws or other hardware about the fixing - hooray! - we found a small red plastic bag that said HARDWARE. What was in it?........a piece of paper that said we should consult our local hardware store about fixings!

Cath9 Mon 10-Oct-16 19:26:55

I actually had a nose around one of their shops today, but didn't really like what I saw

merlotgran Mon 10-Oct-16 19:57:01

How on earth are you supposed to get it up on the wall without any fixings? hmm

Luckygirl Mon 10-Oct-16 20:00:01

Ahh - that is a very good question merlot!

SIL is coming round after work tomorrow to do it for us - but we would like to have the stuff here ready for him or he will have to make another special journey.

TwiceAsNice Sat 15-Oct-16 18:27:50

Sorry you didn't have a good experience. I have bought a small dresser, tv unit, nest of tables and lamp table in two separate orders with no problems. I agree it's a bit of a nuisance about the packaging and it was a problem they didn't deliver on a Saturday as I was working full time at the time. ( one delivery my friend sat in my house and one I was on leave) However the store and delivery staff were pleasant and it was put in the room I wanted it to be in and the quality is good and still looks lovely so I've no complaints really. Don't remember more paperwork than any other furniture I've bought elsewhere.

anniegillingham Sun 19-Mar-17 17:27:37

Cant stand oak furniture land - expensive and poor service.

Gemgran1 Thu 15-Mar-18 15:50:16

Yes and I agree with your comments. In particular the packaging was totally excessive ( 5 black plastic sacks of polystyrene plus 2 trips to the recycling centre with cardboard) for a tall book case and a lamp table.
Instructions state that returns are not permitted if the cardboard packaging is damaged! Try removing a 6ft cardboard box without damage!!!.
I also experienced an enormous number of emails following my order.
The guarantee was added almost as a given and there is a neat trick to get you to pay for delivery by stating 'is Friday ok for you' then adding £39 for the privilege.
The furniture itself was good and appears strong - the packaging has put me off every buying from them again.