Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kindly kitcheners and pampered pets...

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:41:58

Here we are again...
happy as can be
all good friends and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather,
never mind the rain,
as long as we're together...Woops she goes again.

A big, warm welcome and please continue to enjoy the companionship.

wine cupcake and smile until I return tomorrow. x

annsixty Mon 24-Oct-16 16:48:20

Thank you all for your concern and your suggestions, Sadly he isn't interested in anything apart from watching comedy programmes om a loop. However at this moment he is ironing!!!
When I had BC it was my right side and I had all the lymph nodes re moved so H took over ironing duties. He was very good but now I tactfully do clothing etc, well mine anyway, he hardly goes out of the house so his don't matter {naughty) he is ironing pillowcases, tea towels and hankies. he is always pleased to do them. if I were to let him do trousers he irons them flat on the board so there are creases down the side. I do have an adult colouring book which a friend gave me when I had my knee done but I just haven't got round to starting it yet. My D and GD are coming tomorrow until Friday so I am really looking forward to that and I can now walk well so we will get some retail therapy in while my S will also be here.

DaphneBroon Mon 24-Oct-16 16:52:01

Maybe NOT the most welcome patisseries for the Kitchen? Ouch??
I have posted this pic on another thread but hope it makes you laugh too. Having just had the deed done I can afford to smile as for once it was quite painless smile

Wobblybits Mon 24-Oct-16 16:55:03

CG, asking JL to take it back might get them scurrying round to install it properly, bit of a poor show that they did not leave you with it working. From what you have said on the phone, it sounds like a straight forward setup problem that I would have expected them to address, at the very least to connect it to your aerial outlet point.

soop Mon 24-Oct-16 16:58:13

Lona I spoke to that man I India. He was helpful. Mind you, he didn't fix the problem that we were experiencing on that occasion. Never mind, he did his best. wink

soop Mon 24-Oct-16 17:03:15

DaphneB Very good. Made me smile.

ann I like to think that your husband enjoys ironing. I have always thought it therapeutic. I do tend to burn myself from time to time.
Good for you, take yourself off for an afternoon with your daughter and granddaughter. Good company will surely help to raise your spirits. sunshine

soop Mon 24-Oct-16 17:48:57

I'm away for today. A gorgeous sunset begs to photographed (yet again). Enjoy your evening. Back with you tomorrow. smile moon

Charleygirl Mon 24-Oct-16 20:22:16

Wobblybits I am inclined to agree with you although in fairness the fellow managed to show Freeview on the screen. It was only when I went upstairs later and switched it on that I could only get BBC1 and the following day zilch.

I do not believe that it is entirely "no signal" when my old TV worked fine until it broke down and I decided it would cost more to repair etc.

I will see what JL has to say when I ask them to remove the set- I am sure that they will not want to lose money selling it as second hand.

Sorry folks, TV conversation finished for today. Chapter 10 will probably start tomorrow pm.

soop calling me a TYKE! As usual I have been cut to the quick when my interests are for Bracken and Rory.

It is raining here, Tara came home early and has retired.

Wobblybits Mon 24-Oct-16 22:20:19

Good Luck CG, I'll catch up with the news later tomorrow, I'm on a watercolour study day tomorrow.

oldgoat Mon 24-Oct-16 22:50:46

charleygirl I'm sure you must be relieved when Tara comes in at night. DS's cat, Tiga, Boggit's sister, was run over and died on Thursday night. They live quite close to a busy lane. Of course, the whole family is devastated - two cats run over within a few months. I really hope that they don't get another cat.

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 09:34:03

oldgoat you have no idea how relieved I am to see the minx. Heaven knows where she goes for around 12 hours and she has to cross roads I am sure. I live in a mews and I have seen her sunbathe in the middle of the road on a warm day.

That must be devastating for the entire family losing two under the same circumstances and fairly close together.

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 12:51:32

Everybody will be pleased that my TV saga is nearly over and life on GN can almost return to normal.

My cleaner came today, she has a SMART TV and within seconds, moved one cable around, scanned the TV and I now have a working TV. The WIFI is not connected yet, I have to buy Powerline Extenders but Wobbleybits has been helping me with that also.

I want to get used to the new TV and handset before I embark on another project- the WIFI. My cleaner saved me so much money because if I did not return the entire set to JL I was going to get in touch with an aerial installer and buy a dish.

jollyg Tue 25-Oct-16 13:16:23

Hope the cleaner gets a good 'christmas box' if not now then at the actual time!

Enjoy the view.

soop Tue 25-Oct-16 14:14:53

A good, sunny afternoon dear Kitcheners. Home from Campbeltown care home. There's to be a Halloween party for residents and staff on Friday. B*** big black spiders (not real) caught in webs and such. No one seems to mind. I would. Even a stuffed spider can send shivers down my spine.

M told me that the reason her brain is as sharp as ever (at 93), is because she only retired last week from the WAFF, where she's been servicing Bofighters. smile

Charleygirl Three cheers for the lady who fixed the SMART TV. Could you send her to sort out our wayward computer? Preferably before it's hurled through the window. I agree with jollyg's suggestion. Perhaps a box of chocs would be much appreciated. If not, forward them to Kintyre. I'm certain that I know of someone who will gladly scoff the lot enjoy one or two.

oldgoat First Boggit has a very nasty accident and now her sister, Tiga, has been killed on the same road. I understand how the family must be feeling right now. Rory won't even attempt to tackle the funny old plastic netting that MacS cleverly used to span the wide entrance to the drive. Even so, MacS keeps a close eye on his activities outside the house. Rory often asks to be let out of the back door and, unlike Tara, Tyke's feline, saunters (sedately) around to the front door, and waits to be let in again.

A lovely day for watercolour painting activities, Wobbly Will you share your creation with us please?

I've a message from number...she is experiencing difficulties with posting messages at the moment. She says that the service for David was very suitable. The music reflected David's taste.
I'm delighted to learn that she will be coming to Kintyre next spring. David's ashes are to be scattered at their favourite campsite at Muasdale. She and other family members will be staying in Campbeltown. This means that we shall get to meet each other. I'm looking forward to it.

Bellasnana has attended the funeral of her lovely sister. At the moment she will have company. When she returns home she will need more loving support.

For number and Bellasnana sunshine and flowers

soop Tue 25-Oct-16 14:17:49

Last night's sunset over Gigha. Especially for number who has seen many such sunsets from the campsite. smile

jollyg Tue 25-Oct-16 14:29:57

Soop, it would not be too onerous to arrange for a super sunset for Davids ashes, and the scattering.

Sunsets in Kintyre are legendary, as you so often prove.

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 15:17:36

jollyg I gave my cleaner money today, better than chocs and she will get more for Christmas. She was very loathe to take it but I do not think she realised how much money, time and angst she has saved me.

jollyg Tue 25-Oct-16 15:52:24

Charley, i dont know you at all, but some here seem to expect all to be done for them.

I'm sure your cleaner is worth gold, but yours is techie gold.

When we [rarely] go on holiday I always give my help some extra money.

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 16:00:56

She is Romanian and I am her only client who corrects her English and she is very grateful for that. I do not expect something for nothing- she saved me a great deal of money which would have been wasted.

Her other clients say that they do not need her for eg a month while they go on a cruise. I do not go on holiday but if in hospital I ask her to come during that time. I do not like to see her go without a week's money- many others do not give her a thought.

Cash is of more use to her than chocolates.

soop Tue 25-Oct-16 16:37:38

Charleyg Most definitely...cash is the most agreeable of bonuses. I've worked as a home help for very many families. Every family was kind to me. I remember one Christmas gift of a Jaeger trouser suit. I was thrilled. The lady I worked for asked me to choose something that I would most like with a cheque that she gave me. The suit t cost at least a month's pay. We were in Durrington, near Worthing, at the time.

During my younger years, I had two jobs. The day job was clerical. The after office hours jobs were all cleaning/waitressing/bar work. One job in particular was as a cashier in a night club. Started work at 9:30 and finished round about 2:am...sometimes much later, depending on how busy the roulette table was. Harry, the doorman, motored the girls home. The biggest tip I was given was £20. A great deal of money at that time. The man who tipped me had won a rather large amount on the Blackjack table. I made him a steak sandwich to celebrate. He was a professional gambler from the USA. The owner of the nightclub was not overjoyed when he almost broke the bank! The nightclub had some well known cabaret stars. Do any of you remember Ruby Murray? (Softly Softly Come To Me...) Roger Moore (gorgeous) and Roger Whittaker. There were many others whose names escape me.

soop Tue 25-Oct-16 16:42:42

I also worked as a cleaner at a private nursing home. Dusty Springfield was a patient for a time. I used to clean the library with a heavy duty electric polisher. It was that powerful it almost swept me off my feet. Sometimes I cleaned the swimming bath lavatories. On entering the male toilets the urinals flushed automatically. At first I was hesitant and lingered for some time waiting for someone to exit...only there was no one to wait for.

soop Tue 25-Oct-16 16:44:14

Come to think of it, I've done a wide variety of jobs. I should put my memories in writing. grin

soop Tue 25-Oct-16 16:45:43

I'm about to log off. Ironing duties in the morning but I shall catch up with you lot on my return. smile moon

Wobblybits Tue 25-Oct-16 17:09:35

I know CG won't mind me boasting, but the solution was what I suggested, but CG wasn't prepared to risk pushing the cable in any harder. Perhaps her cleaner should apply for a job at JL.

wot Tue 25-Oct-16 17:27:58

Soop, I've used one of those polishers......dreadful things!! In Barclays bank and the job centre. Not women's work at all!!! Still, needs must! (Thank God for pensions!)

wot Tue 25-Oct-16 17:30:12

I spent one morning cleaning a pub. I had to scrub the men's urinal trough thing. My BIL nicknamed me "Queen of the S Bend)!!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion