Gransnet forums

Chat

Rant

(60 Posts)
GrannyPiggy Tue 25-Oct-16 12:42:02

Sorry, haven't been on here for months, no worthwhile reason just haven't
Then today after an awful falling out with DS I was trying to think who to rant to without dragging in more family members and realised I do have like minded people who can tell me how it is without emotional ties
So I'm going to vent to you (apologies in advance)
Well its a year now since DS met his online love, he was a stay at home lad who never went out and worked with his dad until very recently. I was so happy for him as he adored this lady and her 8 year old son
Within a few months they'd moved in together and we tried to make them part of the family, but...
She makes no effort to fit in to our ways, he won't help us around the farm even when asked, he wont visit on his own even if passing, he cancels on us because she needs him for something
It all sounds really petty but we feel we cant have a relationship with our son
The little boy is very demanding but we get along with him and he has accepted that if he's here he follows our rules
On the two occasions they've left him here for a few hours we've had fun and he's polite and engaging, until they come back!
Now she's pregnant, only a few weeks but I have a horrible feeling she's going to be the worlds worst pregnant person, DS cancelled again as poor girls got a cold and he needs to get home as she's too tired to look after the boy
Everytime we try to talk to them they instantly start the 'You don't like her' campaign
Ive told DS its him that's disappointed me but she keeps messaging that I'm trying to break them up
I'm really not, I just want a little of my sons affection
Am I being unreasonable?

rosesarered Wed 26-Oct-16 20:35:50

Excellent post BlueBelle

Shizam Wed 26-Oct-16 21:56:56

Diplomacy is the answer here! Don't try and force the issue, doomed to failure. Get his partner on your side with a charm offensive. I know someone who has fallen out with both of her children by taking against their chosen partners. Both seem fine to me.
Trust in your raising of him to make good life choices and support him in whatever happens.

Anya Wed 26-Oct-16 22:13:08

Seems like grannypiggy is yet another who has posted but not really interested in following up.

Luckygirl Wed 26-Oct-16 22:20:45

Maybe we all said the "wrong" things.

Ana Wed 26-Oct-16 22:21:06

But the thread will run and run because people just can't resist giving their opinion! thlgrin

Helmsley444 Wed 26-Oct-16 22:33:17

Yes a son is a son till he gets a wife.I shd no i raised 2 ds.Its always the same.Its really hard as when it happens you dont realise your downgraded and he doesnt need you anymore.It takes a lot of getting used too.But you must bite yhe bullett for all concerned

merlotgran Wed 26-Oct-16 22:51:21

Don't you just love these threads where the OP poses a question then buggers off leaves us all to amuse ourselves?

It must be catching because there's at least two others on the go at the moment. hmm

BlueBelle Wed 26-Oct-16 23:07:04

I think sometimes people ask these questions expecting everyone to agree with them and back them up but when a few people all give sensible constructive answers that they don't really want to hear , they disappear.
It is true that the written word can't be veiled as much as a cup of tea chat but at the end of the day sometimes if you are prepared to listen you can learn a lot even if it's not what you want to hear

GrandMareS Thu 27-Oct-16 14:30:45

Granny piggy --- You have my total sympathy, I also do not understand why both my sons have become the adults they are now since settling with their respective partners. We don't even get a phone call unless they want something , I used to be the "grown up" and make a regular call to keep in touch but since being in hospital again (both knee replacements) neither have sent a card or phoned to enquire how I am, let alone offer to do anything practical. Wasn't even informed of scan results for impending baby and when asked the reply was " you never have your phone on"!!! It's hard to accept that well bought up children have become so lacking in respect for parents. Never thought it would happen to us as thought we were all very close. Live in hope that things will change