Gransnet forums

Chat

button box does anyone still have them?

(81 Posts)
jordana Wed 02-Nov-16 09:35:40

Yesterday I had to sew a button on my hubbies shirt. It was a pale green shirt with same shade of button. I went to my button tin to find one and for a few minutes was lost in the memories of all the buttons I had kept. There was the red toggle one from my daughters duffle coat when she was around 10, the wee ladybird one from a cardigan, a nice silver one from a blazer I had, a yellow flower from a dress of my daughter. I could go on and on. Why did I keep them though? It,s not as if I will ever use them. My mum had a button box but I must ask my daughters if they have one. Do any gransnet members have one?

granjura Wed 02-Nov-16 09:39:19

yes, my grans and my dad's after that (he was a tailor)...

BBbevan Wed 02-Nov-16 09:41:00

Yes I do. Half from my Mum, half from MiL. The children always loved to 'sort' it. Now the DGDs love a rummage. I also have a ' bits' drawer in the kitchen which fascinates them also.

emmasnan Wed 02-Nov-16 09:44:02

Yes I have one. Lots of memories when I search through, my DGD loves looking at them all. We still add to it.

fiorentina51 Wed 02-Nov-16 09:45:43

I have one of my own, full of buttons gathered over 43 years and have now inherited MIL's which has a much grander collection than mine as she was a very keen dressmaker.

cornergran Wed 02-Nov-16 10:06:25

Oh yes. One of the things I can't part with.

shysal Wed 02-Nov-16 10:16:45

Yes I have one, full of memories. I would never throw away an old garment without first removing buttons and or zip.

POGS Wed 02-Nov-16 10:21:19

I have containers full of buttons and cottons all separated by colour .

They were mostly mums but I never discarded a garment without cutting off the buttons or taking out the zips, I think there might be a few of us who did that, came with 'having nowt' and 'mending and making do'. smile.

I used to 'go to the button boxes' quite often as I sold second hand clothes on Leicester Market donkeys years ago, needs must, I don't seem to use them so much these days.

I did pass on the zips as I could never get to grips with fitting them. Anybody who can dress make and fit zips has my admiration, sewing on buttons and turning up hems was as far as I could get.

Both my daughter and granddaughter loved to rifle through the button boxes when they were little, as I did. We keep beads, jewellery bits, tubs of various shaped sequins etc. with them but no doubt when I'm gone I don't see my daughter keeping any of them.

Thingmajig Wed 02-Nov-16 10:40:23

I have one too, although it's one of the Useful Boxes rather than a tin. DGD loves playing with it, mostly emptying the contents of "her" button bag on grandad's chair, hitting them from beneath and making them dance! smile

M0nica Wed 02-Nov-16 10:56:46

Yes, I have one, containing buttons inherited down the generations.

About two years ago, DD and I sorted through them and some of the older and more exceptional ones I put on ebay and earned myself over £100.

Tizliz Wed 02-Nov-16 11:05:38

yes, I have one but now find it very difficult to sew due to arthritis. I thought everyone had one and everyone could sew, until I worked for a women who could not sew at all and I would often start the day sewing a button on or turning up a hem for her. My mother didn't teach me to cook but did teach me to sew, don't know if I could remember how to put a zip in now.

Linsco56 Wed 02-Nov-16 11:07:39

I have one, but its an old kilner jar and it's full to the top with shirt buttons, flowery ceramic buttons, horn shaped toggles, press studs and a set of leather buttons from an Aran cardigan which my grandmother knitted for DD when she was about 2yrs. That cardigan grew with her and she was still wearing it when she was 5.
I'm reluctant to part with them but should really have a proper clear out, just not today! smile

Katek Wed 02-Nov-16 11:14:26

I have my grandmother's which my mother added to. Some of the older ones must be close to 100 years old. They're in a National Dried Milk tin!!

Liz46 Wed 02-Nov-16 11:37:02

I used to use buttons to teach my children how to do sums. I did it a bit with my grandchildren too.

I got rid of many of my buttons and other sewing bits and pieces on streetlife to a lady who does therapy. She was very pleased with everything.

JackyB Wed 02-Nov-16 11:47:20

I remember playing with my mother's as a child. She no doubt still has it in her sewing box, which she doesn't use any more.

My haberdashery is in utter chaos at the moment, but I have loads of buttons because these days nearly everything has a spare button attached to the label. I have got a large glass jar ready for when I do tidy up. I am wondering if I should take them out of their little plastic bags or leave them in?

Christinefrance Wed 02-Nov-16 12:19:43

Yes I always save spare buttons and have a plastic box full. As it happens one of my dogs chewed a decorative button from a cushion yesterday and I found one in my box which was very similar.
My daughters don't have button boxes though.

Galen Wed 02-Nov-16 12:29:08

I have a load of buttons and had ordered a box to keep them in. It arrived yesterday.
A pair of wire strippers?
I rand the suppliers who agreed they'd got their wires labels crossed and were sending me return label with the box which should arrive tomorrow.

henetha Wed 02-Nov-16 12:42:50

Yes, I still have my grandmother's button box, full of wonderful memories. And her silver dressmaking scissors.
And her silver thimble.

gillybob Wed 02-Nov-16 12:45:53

I have a lovely polished wood, concertina box containing millions (well a lot) of buttons. Every shape,size and description. It also holds various colours of thread, pins, needles and lots and lots of elastic as I am forever putting elastic into DGD's clothes as they are so skinny.

I used to love to play with the buttons in my grandmas button box (back in the day) and inherited some of the lovely contents from it.

gillybob Wed 02-Nov-16 12:46:36

Lovely thread jordana (pardon the pun) bringing back sweet memories. smile

Maranta Wed 02-Nov-16 13:00:47

I have inherited my Mil's collection. It's in a tin which had Kemps buiscuits in and I've just seen an identical on on Etsy, down as Retro. Maybe it's worth something!

Swanny Wed 02-Nov-16 13:01:11

I had a collection of buttons and zips that I started when I first married. I used to do a lot of dressmaking and knitting at the time and had a large sewing box full of useful bits and pieces that I kept for years. When I downsized 6 years ago I took the button box to a charity shop, along with some dressmaking patterns and my sewing machine, as I hadn't used it for years. I kept one or two buttons and knitting patterns with special memories though, and some needles, as I still occasionally knit.

Jalima Wed 02-Nov-16 14:41:08

Most of mine are in a Bluebird toffee tin and still more in travel sweet tins.

rosesarered Wed 02-Nov-16 19:36:06

Yes, I have 2 button boxes, only used now and then as buttons don't seem to come off like they used to do(why?)but DGS all like trawling through them, and only last week, eldest DGS asked me to show him how to sew on a button.He made a good job of it.

Jalima Wed 02-Nov-16 19:41:12

I am going to root through mine in a minute to find some nice buttons for a baby cardigan I have nearly finished.

For charity, no new DGC on the way hmm