Gransnet forums

Chat

button box does anyone still have them?

(82 Posts)
jordana Wed 02-Nov-16 09:35:40

Yesterday I had to sew a button on my hubbies shirt. It was a pale green shirt with same shade of button. I went to my button tin to find one and for a few minutes was lost in the memories of all the buttons I had kept. There was the red toggle one from my daughters duffle coat when she was around 10, the wee ladybird one from a cardigan, a nice silver one from a blazer I had, a yellow flower from a dress of my daughter. I could go on and on. Why did I keep them though? It,s not as if I will ever use them. My mum had a button box but I must ask my daughters if they have one. Do any gransnet members have one?

Diddy1 Fri 04-Nov-16 10:29:38

Yes I have one, I remember Mums button box when we were little, the actual tin was lovely too. Dont use mine much these days, but it is handy to have "in case"

winifred01 Fri 04-Nov-16 10:32:08

I have two pink tins for my buttons, on the base is written ' Durex diaphragm' I used to work in a Family Planning Clinic!

HootyMcOwlface Fri 04-Nov-16 10:37:11

I love buttons and I too have my own tin. I confess to buying little packets of buttons off Amazon (just because they are pretty!) sad aren't I?!

storynanny Fri 04-Nov-16 16:38:52

I have a button box too but often need 5 or 6 the same for a naby cardi so end up buying more!
I also have a ribbon tin, full of the thin coloured ribbon cut off shoulders of garments as I cant bear them
Any brilliant ideas for using them

JessM Fri 04-Nov-16 17:30:21

I have vast numbers. I rarely do any sewing.

Synonymous Sat 05-Nov-16 16:35:52

I have a button box which contains so many memories as in addition to my own it also contains my two grans' buttons as well as my mum's and auntie's so it is quite a family treasure box. There are so many different kinds of buttons made from very different materials so it is really interesting.
DC, nieces and nephews and DGC all loved sorting out the colours and sizes and even weighed them with their toy scales, adding up the different weights and learning to divide them etc. It used to occupy them for hours!
Recently my DGC sorted them all out and bagged them up in those small sealable plastic bags so they are 'viciously' organised nowadays. I think I preferred them in a big muddle! hmm