Gransnet forums

Chat

Today - happy or sad?

(121 Posts)
jordana Mon 07-Nov-16 12:41:38

Today I am happy. Sun shining, Elvis on radio, drinking coffee and eating a piece of date and walnut loaf and a good book . Yesterday not so good. How is everyone? Hope it a good day for you all

Synonymous Mon 07-Nov-16 17:07:06

Time slipped - thought I had posted this earlier but hadn't. Sun gone now but very pretty tints on the clouds as the sun is saying 'goodnight'. Very cosy in front of my fire so am very content. smile

annsixty Mon 07-Nov-16 18:03:49

I am so sorry for those of you who can never really feel happy.
My life is stressful and I find it hard to find good things to feel happy about but today was such a good day. My GD was born 18 years ago with a very bad facial disfigurement. it has been hard for all of us, mostly her of course.Now 6 operations later she is relaxed about her looks and accepting of them and we have had a lovely day with an Italian meal and I confess a couple of cocktails. I am home and she and her friends are off out again later.

KatyK Mon 07-Nov-16 18:19:18

Sounds like a lovely day ann smile I hope your GD has a lovely night. Sounds as thought she thoroughly deserves it.

Synonymous Mon 07-Nov-16 19:05:24

Glad you had a good day Ann and DGD is so relaxed and happy regarding her looks now. 6 operations is a great deal to contend with so all credit to her. flowers

morethan2 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:01:40

Grouchy I've got a bit of a tummy problem, I think it's a bit ibs. ( I've not been eating too well over the last few weeks) We're expecting some news from my DiL scan soon and it doesn't look good. I spent sometime with her poor mum who is beside herself. So that makes me anxious and sad. Both families feel as if there's Damocles sword hanging over the whole family. It didn't stop me grinning at your post Luckygirl and having a bit of a grin grin

Shanma Tue 08-Nov-16 00:10:44

Happy? not for about the last ten years, and probably never again as far as I can tell. I must say though that the dark, the cold, the wet don't help, but no, I am afraid that word is no longer in my vocabulary

rubylady Tue 08-Nov-16 04:52:44

Shanma What are you unhappy about that has caused you upset for 10 years? That's a long time to not find joy in anything. Are you not depressed? flowers

I am happier today than a couple of days back. Getting a little sleep again, painting done and cleaner came today so lovely tidy home. Food in, gas and electric on the meter, a roof over my head, very appreciative.

Also, I text my ED today, first time in ages. Will my health getting worse I wanted her to be told that I do love her and my DGSs. I told her she doesn't have to get in touch if she doesn't want, that I just wanted her to know. I hope she hasn't switched her mobile number.

I could be a lot happier, not the health problems I have, I could work and have mobility to do as I want to, but it is what it is and I have to try to make the best of it. Tomorrow is chill out day, rest up, maybe a jigsaw or dvd. smile

Christinefrance Tue 08-Nov-16 08:32:52

I feel so fortunate to be able to enjoy life still, lucky not to suffer from depression or low mood. I am not relentlessly happy that would be annoying but seeing some other posts I count my blessings.
Shanma I hope you can find some peace and a little happiness soon.

jordana Tue 08-Nov-16 08:49:14

Is there a difference I wonder between happiness and contentment?after reading some posts here I realise that most of us are content with what we have as we have to accept our lot. But I do believe we can have moments of happiness and joy too. And if you'r e
not happy, can you do anything to change it? Maybe it's a mindset thing

Anniebach Tue 08-Nov-16 08:57:35

Unhappy , dog has Cushions, still waiting for date for house move, arthritis is developing too quickly, want to hurl something at TV, no more Trump please. Dig jumped on my iPad so have to have new glass fitted. Vets bills soaring , my savings pot for the house move is shrinking and nothing spent on the house . Miss my elder daughter so much, fearful for her . Now we can expect that vile, white smelly stuff covering the country so months of fear on the way

annsixty Tue 08-Nov-16 09:02:44

So sorry Anniebach that you are so down but you have reason to be. All your problems are coming together. I hope you soon see some light at the end of your particular dark tunnel.

Luckygirl Tue 08-Nov-16 09:03:03

Annie - focus on the lovely new bungalow just where you want it. I know how daunting moving is, but we have just done it and it has been a good move, as I am sure it will be for you.

Annsixty - how wonderful that your DGD has come to terms with her disfigurement and is taking life on with confidence. I am sure that the attitudes of all her family, including you, have contributed to this.

Shanma - is there anything that we here can do to lift your mood? Please do feel free to pm as I know that some of the difficulties you have to face coincide with mine.

Im68Now Tue 08-Nov-16 09:06:29

When we go for petrol OH fills He's car first but does replace the nozzle, I'll then hold it until He has moved and then He'll bring my car to the pump and then we'll go and pay as if it was 1 car.

Now, you're properly thinking what a pair of dick heads, well yes but we're happy and you should see us in Sainsburys.

Anniebach I remember you saying that you've got your new home a while ago, I can understand your annoyance. Good Luck with your move.

Lillie Tue 08-Nov-16 09:11:08

Sorry to read so many people feel unhappy, but it's good to voice it and commiserate with others.
I'm lucky I work with children, and yes, some days they appear down, grumpy or even very unhappy. What never ceases to amaze me is their capacity for bouncing back, although I do admit this is harder the older one becomes. Some people cope with unhappiness, others suffer immensely, and we don't always realise how much these people are affected.

Today I'm happy. I have a day off and I am excitedly heading to Libertys to look at scarves for presents (that Apprentice episode got me thinking, but I won't be so happy at the till).

vampirequeen Tue 08-Nov-16 09:25:39

This is a not sure yet day. I feel like I'm rocking and my day will depend on which way I fall.

I miss my Peter days. Days when my mood swings up like Peter Pan. Everything is a great adventure and everything will work out in the end. The knot in my stomach unties. It's wonderful to be in Peter mode. Well wonderful for me but hell for those around me because I'm hyper hyper bouncing more than Tigger. Also I start lots of things but never finish them because I've bounced on to the next. I feel refreshed when Peter has paid a visit but everyone is exhausted grin

I haven't had a visit from Peter for well over a year {sob}

Luckygirl Tue 08-Nov-16 09:28:04

Next time he comes, send Peter over to me when you are done with him!

KatyK Tue 08-Nov-16 09:28:36

I'm going to try to stop being such a misery! I'm afraid I wallow in self-pity. Note to self: STOP IT. Today I am meeting a friend for lunch and tonight I am going with DH to see a stage production of Pride and Prejudice. I am going to do my best to enjoy it smile

Anniebach Tue 08-Nov-16 09:38:06

I am usually a positive person, but feel rather swamped with problems and worries st this time . Must remember - this too will pass

Im68Now Tue 08-Nov-16 09:47:10

Anniebach I can imagine you new home with a Labour social club one side and a church the other, that's the opinion I've got of you over a very long time, sorry for saying it.

Where we live we can walk to Sainsburys and M&S, now that's Heaven.

Anniebach Tue 08-Nov-16 09:53:16

Iam68, the church is close by but not the workmans club, but I do book the church hall for Labour Party meetings grin

Beammeupscottie Tue 08-Nov-16 09:57:42

The only important things in life are good health. enough money to eat, clothe yourself and keep warm and the health and happiness of those you love. All the rest is top dressing.
If you are depressed try watching Laurel and Hardy. I am reduced to helpless laughter when watching,Swiss Miss( the one with the gorilla and the rope bridge). Laughter is a wonderful pick-me up,

Anniebach Tue 08-Nov-16 10:00:28

Great, the government are to close the barracks in Mid Wales , been there since 1805, home of the welsh regiments , the 24th reg. SWB which fought at Rooks Drift

jordana Tue 08-Nov-16 10:16:05

A dull day here today so not staying at home. Off to a shopping mall for a coffee and cake but will definitely not be looking at Xmas things!

KatyK Tue 08-Nov-16 10:21:24

Life experiences can determine how we feel. Every day of my childhood I was frightened and anxious and I am now a frightened anxious adult. I would love to say 'Tra la la, isn't life wonderful' but mine isn't/hasn't been a lot of the time. I do my best with what I've got. I've tried to be different, but I am what I am and at 67, I'm sure I'm not going to change now so I am trying to accept what I can't change. Many things in my life are good but I do find it hard to be happy. Sorry that got a bit deep!

annodomini Tue 08-Nov-16 10:51:02

Still got a cold - snuffling and spluttering, so will self-quarantine which is a good excuse to binge-watch The Crown on Netflix. So quite a happy day, I think.