Gransnet forums

Chat

We've been here before with Diana.

(47 Posts)
Lillie Tue 08-Nov-16 16:27:41

Does Prince Harry not need media attention to promote his various charities etc? So how can expect his private life to remain private?

gettingonabit Wed 09-Nov-16 14:53:58

And yes, he needs to grow up and stop whingeing.

Beammeupscottie Wed 09-Nov-16 15:26:36

I wonder if he is worried that press intrusion will frighten her off, as it might have done with his other girls?
But, the worse thing you can do is criticise the Press it just makes it worse.
Also, as the Queen is said to have commented on the Press attention given to Diana Spencer "if this is what she wants she will have to get used to it".

gillybob Wed 09-Nov-16 15:53:26

Totally agree with both gettingonabit and Anniebach

Btw, I haven't heard of her either.

norose4 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:25:05

Anniebach, what arrogance to assume so much knowledge of a persons attitude , lifestyle ,beliefs & aspirations, you said- no more caring than others, -I Say no Less caring than others , my point being we are all an accidents of birth ,we can not choose who we are, at least the young (ish)royals do their best to help others wether that is regardless off or because of their 'priveledged background doesn't really matter !

norose4 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:37:25

I don't think he was asking for privacy as such, he was asking for his girlfriend not to be hounded by the press, which highlights yet again the relentless pursuit of a persons private life to line the pockets of paparazzi & newspapers & unleashes a tirade of jealousy in some people who despite their protestations read all about solely to vent their spleen

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 17:41:36

I agree that he was requesting privacy for his girlfriend, not himself. I'm sure he's perfectly aware that he's not entitled to any for himself.

JessM Wed 09-Nov-16 17:42:11

I'm no royalist but should dating a royal mean you sacrifice several of your human rights courtesy of the baying hordes of the press?
And come to that why should he? How's he meant to ever find a wife if the press carry on like this?
Also interested to see all the misogynistic vitriol on this thread, aimed at a dead women who was to some extent a victim of the royal family.

Anniebach Wed 09-Nov-16 17:48:59

Jess, you see Diana as a victim of the windsors, some see the windsors as victims of her,

norose4 Wed 09-Nov-16 18:23:25

Regardless of whether or not Diana was a victim or an instigator, Harry has a human right to request a friend ,girlfriend, acquaintance of his or anyone else for that matter is not subjected to the relentless hounding by the press, who lets face it due purely for the money nothing more nothing less!!

janeainsworth Wed 09-Nov-16 18:24:58

Perhaps what has happened in America today should make us all reflect on the advantages of not having to elect our Head of State.

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 18:26:59

The press is one thing though (and only the UK press is likely to take a blind bit of notice of Harry's request, let's face it), but social media is another kettle of fish entirely.

There seems to be no stopping the endless stream of vitriol both sexist and racist coming this poor girl's way.

norose4 Wed 09-Nov-16 18:33:34

Well said Ana?

Anniebach Wed 09-Nov-16 18:48:48

No one should be subjected to verbal abuse, but what was the point of telling the country ? It cannot be stopped

norose4 Wed 09-Nov-16 18:55:04

Very good point Janeainsworth

Eloethan Thu 10-Nov-16 00:01:04

I don't deny that Diana was a fragile and unpredictable character. However, I think out of the whole lot of them she did the most in challenging prejudice about AIDS and leprosy and aiding the campaign against landmines. These weren't the usual uncontroversial popular causes and I think it was brave of her to champion them. I agree with JessM that she was a victim of the royal family and its archaic conditions.

I am a republican but I can't see why any person, royal or otherwise, should be subjected to an extreme invasion of privacy and constant innuendo regarding their ethnicity or sexuality.

Im68Now Thu 10-Nov-16 07:36:11

I think Diana was pregnant by that Arab, and we can't have that can we. Live and let live.

Certain posters should stop digging now, its getting blush

mumofmadboys Thu 10-Nov-16 07:46:02

'that Arab' sounds rather disrespectful!

Im68Now Thu 10-Nov-16 08:27:55

You are quite right mumofmadboys. I've got no respect for any royal or the hangers on.

norose4 Thu 10-Nov-16 08:43:07

I have no respect for small minded ignorance

Iam64 Thu 10-Nov-16 09:00:35

flowers to brighten your day norose4

norose4 Thu 10-Nov-16 09:07:33

Ahh thank you Iam64, just what the Dr ordered, there is life out there!??