Gransnet forums

Chat

Did anyone see the moon?

(33 Posts)
jordana Mon 14-Nov-16 22:36:36

The moon tonight is to be nearer to the earth and next time is 70 years away. We saw it tonight in South Scotland and it did seem a lot nearer and sort of 3d effect. Did anyone else manage to see it?

Ana Mon 14-Nov-16 22:37:54

I've just been out to have a look but it's too overcast where I am.

rosesarered Mon 14-Nov-16 22:38:58

Too cloudy here

tanith Mon 14-Nov-16 22:40:22

Too cloudy here in London.

merlotgran Mon 14-Nov-16 22:40:52

The clouds cleared at 8pm just long enough for us to get a good glimpse from the back door. Lovely aura surrounding it.

Linsco56 Mon 14-Nov-16 22:40:53

I saw it through broken clouds. It did seem a bit bigger but nothing like some of the images we've been shown on the news.

Candlefran Mon 14-Nov-16 22:43:55

I've just been out and had a look. It looks very - moonish. It looked brighter than that last night.

Candlefran Mon 14-Nov-16 22:44:34

Didn't notice the aura. Will go and look again.

gillybob Mon 14-Nov-16 22:44:51

Here on the NE coast we had a brief period where the clouds parted and the moon could be seen clearly. DGC very excited .

POGS Mon 14-Nov-16 22:47:50

GD was expecting something special after all the hype and duely we went out several times to have a look but too cloudy.

On her way home there was a clearing and the moon was clearly visible, hooray we thought.

She simply said ' Was that it Nan'. I must admit I couldn't see a difference either. confused

Does it vary greatly as to where you live, we are in the Midlands.

jordana Mon 14-Nov-16 23:07:20

Some of the photos on the TV from Hong Kong, tokyo Make The Moon Really Massive. I think it all depends on which part of the world you are I am glad to have seen it and it looked as if you could reach out and touch it. We don't see the stars either as much as I remember when I was younger - too many cloudy nights!

Shanma Mon 14-Nov-16 23:47:55

No , we were all excited waiting to see it, but it is too cloudy. I heared on the radio that if it is clear tomorrow we will still have a chance as it should be almost as big and bright as tonight. Fingers crossed.

J52 Tue 15-Nov-16 00:34:44

We are in the Galloway Dark Sky park tonight and guess what! It's covered in cloud, so no moon. Feeling hard done by!

grannypiper Tue 15-Nov-16 08:17:45

J52 what time were you there ? i live in small village on the edge of the park and managed to get get some great photos at 21:30, we had approx 20 mins of clear sky. The moon was really bright and the aura was impressive.

hildajenniJ Tue 15-Nov-16 08:22:40

Very cloudy here last night, so no moon to see. This morning on the way home from work, I saw it as it was setting. Lovely big moon. Why don't I carry my camera with me wherever I go?

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 08:27:29

Oddly enough I've seen a much, much bigger moon than this. No, it wasn't in 1948 but sometime in the last 20 years confused

Greyduster Tue 15-Nov-16 08:47:54

We got a view of it around eight o'clock and it didn't look any different to me to moons I've seen before and, like others, I've seen bigger, brighter ones in recent years. I really didn't think it was worth taking a photo of.

Luckygirl Tue 15-Nov-16 09:38:30

We did get a good view of it - my OH, who is into these things, was excited. I did not think it looked a lot different from the usual beautiful moon.

vampirequeen Tue 15-Nov-16 09:41:16

It was too cloudy.

grannypiper Tue 15-Nov-16 09:41:26

Anya, i am sure round about 1993 there was a bigger closer moon

gillybob Tue 15-Nov-16 09:44:13

We had s fantastic view of the setting moon this morning too !

harrigran Tue 15-Nov-16 09:56:55

DH has just told me that he got up at 6am to look at the moon because it was flooding the bedroom with light, he decided not to wake me in case I was not amused.

Judthepud2 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:01:49

We had a lovely clear night so a great view of the moon. It did seem bigger but in particular the brightness was stunning! DH got some great detailed photos of the surface.

I suspect some of those photos in the press were taken as the moon was rising, when it always looks huge anyway

Cherrytree59 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:14:50

Yes.
Cloudy and street lights so couldn't see the moon.
Went with DH on moon hunt ( DH has a new camera) to where there were no street lights.
Saw nothing!
Came back home
Bright Moon right in front of house !
Cloud had broken up.
So he managed a few shots
The moon was bright,with an aura but not particularly big.
I woke up at about 3am , no DH.
He was taking more moon shots !

Is he interested in astronomy?
Is he heckers like
He's just got a new toy grin
moon

Faye Tue 15-Nov-16 10:24:48

I saw it and took a photo, it was just getting dark. It's not the clearest photo as I used my iPad.