Gransnet forums

Chat

Acceptable or Unhygienic?

(173 Posts)
Ruthyo Wed 23-Nov-16 08:59:52

While out shopping yesterday I popped into a well known toiletries/cosmetic store and while I was there one of the assistants picked up a mirror and a tester lipstick and applied it to her lips! I had always hoped that the testers were used to try the colour on your hand and not directly on your mouth? Does anyone else consider this to be unacceptable? shock

JessM Wed 23-Nov-16 09:17:13

Yuk. Your response is not unreasonable. Ditto the using of their lipsticks, eyeliners etc on multiple customers when doing demo makeup sessions.
Tell you another yuk - Dogs on tables in pubs and picnic areas. sad

Welshwife Wed 23-Nov-16 10:01:01

That is awful - the only consolation being that if you wanted to try the colour, like me, you would have put it on the back your hand!
Another thing I cannot abide is people giving a dummy a suck before putting it in the babies mouth - I hate dummies anyway.

TheMaggiejane1 Wed 23-Nov-16 10:24:11

My pet hates are people who 'double dip' or who use their own (used) cutlery to serve themselves from bowls of food intended for everyone. I frequently come home from meals with friends absolutely starving because I've been unable to eat!

Jalima Wed 23-Nov-16 10:38:15

We went to some NT gardens with picnic tables and another couple's very large dog was stretched out on a picnic table fast asleep.
Yuk!

I avoid dips and never thought about people using the makeup on lips etc!

I shudder when I see children sitting in food trolleys because they are too big for the seat and presumably won't walk.
They could have stepped in dog muck then that could be transferred to where the next person puts their food.

I have complained at our local supermarket to no avail and am beginning to feel like a grumpy old woman.

Bellanonna Wed 23-Nov-16 11:01:41

I wouldn't be bothered by children in trolleys as all food is packaged now

Ana Wed 23-Nov-16 11:06:47

No, neither would I although I don't like to see older children lolling about in them.

It does seem to be a very personal thing, how fussy one is about the possibility of 'germs' etc. If the lipstick was wiped after each use there shouldn't be any problem, and TheMaggiejane I really think you should have a quiet word with your friends - surely they notice you're not eating when you're out with them...?

Teetime Wed 23-Nov-16 11:13:11

ruthyo if that was a large store or well known brand I think I would complain. The assistant seems to think that's normal practice and need 'retraining'.

trisher Wed 23-Nov-16 11:17:29

She is the one taking the risk so I wouldn't really bother. Just think the last person to use that lipstick on her hand might have had a bad cold and be carrying the bugs, that assistant has just put them in her mouth Uggh!!!!

harrigran Wed 23-Nov-16 11:27:44

Gross, what if the previous user had done that and had a cold sore ? the germs will survive on the lipstick because the temperature under store lights will make the conditions ideal.
Child in a trolley, should not be allowed, I don't even want a non food item where they have their feet.
Saw the TV programme about the state of delivery crates from supermarkets and that put me off home deliveries.

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 11:36:37

Makeovers in department stores I have had have been scrupulous to use cotton buds or disposable sponges thrown away instantly for lipstick, eyeshadow, blusher etc.
So that has never been a problem. Lipsticks or other products which I buy are always sealed inside their boxes.

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 11:38:04

Am I just not fussy not to share the general outrage or a bit of a slut?

JackyB Wed 23-Nov-16 11:46:51

I agree entirely. That was terrible behaviour for a cosmetics assistant. Also beauticians, even when they use a brush on the lipstick, they dig in again with the brush after the first application, so it's just as bad as applying it directly.

People who use their own cutlery for helping themselves put me off, too - especially as it seems to be quite acceptable to put your knife in your mouth these days <yuk>

wot Wed 23-Nov-16 11:47:56

Daphne, ?

Christinefrance Wed 23-Nov-16 11:52:03

Think we have different levels of tolerance to different things DaphneBroon. Must admit I didn't like the lipstick thing. I also dislike using pillows that are not mine which are regularly replaced.
Don't like dipping things either like fondue or similar, it's so easy to give people individual dishes.

Granarchist Wed 23-Nov-16 12:12:20

tbh how many people reading this have actually been made ill from something that could be directly connected with any of the things mentioned above? Obviously if you feel strongly about hygiene things then that is your prerogative - but the idea of going out to supper and then not eating anything because the hostess used the same spoon to taste something strikes me as overkill. Chefs taste things constantly in restaurant kitchens and probably use the same spoon over and over.

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 12:16:26

Surely christinefrance the point of a fondue is the communal dipping of bread or meat?? confused At least it was when I lived in Switzerland ?? ? smile

Wobblybits Wed 23-Nov-16 12:59:45

I loathe seeing children in shopping trolleys that do not have seats. Food may be wrapped but I do not want any vestige of dog excrement on my shopping. YUK.

Jalima Wed 23-Nov-16 13:03:13

Thank goodness Wobblybits I was beginning to think I was a GOW and a fusspot.

Dog excrement or other unmentionables picked up on children's shoes from the pavement, car park, can be transferred to the trolley and on to food packaging and could transfer to the food itself when unwrapped.

Yuk and yuk again.
I really think it is a health hazard to have large children sitting in the trolleys.

JackyB Wed 23-Nov-16 13:25:04

My worry about the children in the trolleys is that the trolleys could tip over. It happened to me when mine were about 2 and 4 and both in the trolley, one in the seat and the other in the main basket.

Luckygirl Wed 23-Nov-16 13:38:19

Think cold sores.

gettingonabit Wed 23-Nov-16 14:02:23

I can't get excited about this sort of thing eithergrin. I think the lipstick thing is a bit gross but the rest...meh.

shysal Wed 23-Nov-16 14:03:23

I never think to worry about any of these things! For example, in the company of friends and family, I wouldn't hesitate to take my used fork to spear a potato from the serving dish or share dips etc. I cannot remember the last time any of us had a tummy upset. They say you have to eat a ton of dirt before you die!
I remember finding DD2 as a toddler sitting on a stone in the rockery eating little snails and she survived!

Ana Wed 23-Nov-16 15:09:49

I aagree, gettingonabit and shysal.

There are far more important things to worry about than that a few germs that might possibly stray into your own personal space and will most probably not affect you one little bit!

SparklyGrandma Wed 23-Nov-16 15:52:07

Ruthyo I think it is unacceptable as a person could pick up infections or hepatitis from a used lipstick.

I agree with another poster about dirty cafe or restaurant tables My favourite cafe here changed hands, and whereas before the staff would wipe with anti bac or something in between Customers, with the new management all that stopped. So you could be putting your knife and fork down (if you put it down on the dirty table surface) on all sorts.
I changed cafes!