Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet today....Just my opinion.

(558 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 27-Nov-16 11:43:46

Don't want to completely hi-jack the 'Christmas in four words' thread so I've started this one. Feel free to shoot me down. I don't do flouncing. grin

Some time ago, the 'What does Gransnet mean to you?'thread developed into a 'Bring back jingl' campaign. Despite this, it has become clear that we are not entitled to an explanation as to why she is still shackled to the naughty step

We inhabit a goldfish bowl which must be respectable to the outside world looking in on an ageing cyber community. Old people are only expected to be curmudgeonly in books and TV nonsense. Manufactured threads about growing old disgracefully are perfectly acceptable so long as they fit the approved template which has been set by people who are NOT as old as we are.

All well and good until a situation causes a ding-dong. We must be ever mindful that Gransnet is a business relying on advertising revenue. Swearing is tolerated on Mumsnet because it's acceptable in the young and feisty whereas the 'one foot in the grave' club have to leave all that behind and remember our opinions don't really count any more.

The political threads are argumentative because that's politics. You can't put a straight jacket on a well informed if opiniated point of view which is as it should be. Folk who hide behind the sofa when all hell breaks loose should know better than to get caught in the cross-fire.

So....We're allowed to moan about Brexit, complain about our aches and pains and chat about telly dramas/adverts/music. We willingly offer support to complete strangers even though it often comes back to bite us. I'm not the only one who can spot a set-up. Above all, we must remain bland!

There were two members who railed against this. One is sadly no longer with us and the other has been kicked into touch for being too outspoken. Unsurprisingly, they rarely saw eye to eye but that's LIFE!

I'm off to put the joint in the oven. I might even start a thread about it. hmm

Only joking!

morethan2 Sun 27-Nov-16 15:21:38

But you still have the political threads and the nice kindly kitchen threads, the supportive estranged threads, religious threads and the topical news threads. I realise you may be talking about before my time but what exactly is missing? Surely the same thing applies as the advice if you don't want to get caught in the line of fire on the political/controversial stay away. So if you don't want to be bored rigid stay away from those threads. Each to their own and all that surely there's room for all. I enjoy a bit of both and have learnt a lot .

Anya Sun 27-Nov-16 15:23:22

More humour, engaging discussion that doesn't descend into rancour, more stimulation.

Bags does try to raise the bar, as do a couple of others, but not enough takers.

Ana Sun 27-Nov-16 15:25:27

We certainly need more (grown-up) humour, and perhaps rather less earnestness. IMO of course.

Anya Sun 27-Nov-16 15:25:28

It's not all about bring kind, and nice and supportive.

It's about being more open to new ideas and stimulation.

NanaandGrampy Sun 27-Nov-16 15:35:56

Isn't there room for everything ?

And everyone ?

Isn't this the place to be topical, to be retrospective, to seek support from like minded people,to be kind, to be funny , to challenge the status quo , to be the same, to be different ?

I'm not sure if it can be al things to all people but there's precious little about that even comes close .

Luckygirl Sun 27-Nov-16 15:46:08

There is a bit of everything it seems to me; lots to choose to join in or give a miss.

Shanma Sun 27-Nov-16 15:52:39

I have often complained in posts about the fact that GNHQ are way too prissy, and act like big brother. I have said time and again that we afre ADULTS here, the clue is in the name for goodness sakes GRANS net. No one takes a jot of notice though, even though I have said how annoying it is to come on and see posts deleted before I have had chance to read them, and judge for MYSELF if I find it offensive or not.

I almost left because of it, but sometimes there are interesting things on here, be they amusing or helpful.I have found Future Learn through the threads, and for that I am very grateful. It is useful, for want of a better word to read about other people's problems, then one can think " Oh!! it isn't just me then", but I do wish GNHQ would come down off their high horses and give us a bit more leeway. I have suggested an ignore button which would give us the option ourselves to press if we didn't want to see a certain person's posts again.
Anyway I doubt they will change. Probably GNHQ is run by a closed order of nuns grin. So for now I will dip in and out and read what appeals, post what i like and the rest can go by the board.
I can't think too much about GNHQ they really annoy me, and I have enough annoyances in my life, all I can say is Thank goodness I don't work in that office I wouldn't last 5 mins without a disciplinary hearing, lol.

kittylester Sun 27-Nov-16 16:06:52

Surely it takes all sorts.

Shanma, you can't expect GN to be run on your guidelines - it has to work for everyone. We get the perpetual moaning about acronyms - why?

If the threads aren't to a particular person's taste, that person should start some that are, but do you/we all only have deep and meaningful conversations with y/our friends in RL!

I apologise for asking about the number of tvs, Anya, but I was slightly shocked to discover we have four, although I do actually know that we have 4. grin

Luckygirl Sun 27-Nov-16 16:26:46

kitty - do not apologise! You can ask about TVs and Anya can ignore it smile

Mumsy Sun 27-Nov-16 16:51:13

The banishing of members ( no names mentioned) may seem 'pathetic' to some as they dont know all the facts!

Ana Sun 27-Nov-16 16:57:36

Are you saying that you do know all the facts, Mumsy, even though you've only been with us since July?

Luckygirl Sun 27-Nov-16 17:00:25

I guess we do not always know all the details of HQ's decisions, as Mumsy says.

Ana Sun 27-Nov-16 17:03:08

Well of course we don't, Luckygirl. But it seemed rather an odd thing to say, as it's obvious.

Cunco Sun 27-Nov-16 17:11:22

I am not quite sure what people think is missing on Gransnet. Having just returned to Gransnet after a couple of years absence, I think it'sOK. There are many threads I don't read but those I do, get feisty enough. There is no shortage of strong opinion; what is lacking sometimes is information.

I do swear sometimes but I don't like bad language so I am happy that it is largely absent on Gransnet. I have visited forums elsewhere and been horrified not only by the language but also how discussion turns rapidly to personal abuse.

merlotgran Sun 27-Nov-16 17:13:40

NanaandGrandpy asks 'Isn't there room for everything?' Well, maybe there is.... And everyone? Clearly not. hmm

Edginess can be irresistible to some and unacceptable to others. Whatever crime jingl has committed would not have been dealt with so severely by the old guard.

Christinefrance Sun 27-Nov-16 17:14:00

Sometimes though new people join and are not aware a subject had been done to death eg acronyms or a particular news item.
I agree about the humour Ana but often one person's humour is misinterpreted and offence taken. It is a bit bland now but if GN is not to your taste any more I'm sure there are other forums out there. ( that was a general comment not aimed at Ana )

TriciaF Sun 27-Nov-16 17:16:00

Oh dear Anya - you've mentioned all the threads that I've posted on today. wink
Why don't you start a controversial thread?

Ana Sun 27-Nov-16 17:18:30

So, anyone who's not happy with GN any more should just bog off then? grin

TriciaF Sun 27-Nov-16 17:19:28

ps I've got in mind 2 really nunty topics - Damart and stews.

merlotgran Sun 27-Nov-16 17:22:46

How do you know if a thread is going to be controversial when you start it?

Grannyknot Sun 27-Nov-16 17:29:23

Er, for those who are posting on this thread about topics that have been "done to death" - so has this one! wink

NanKate Sun 27-Nov-16 17:29:23

I do hope we get Jing back one day. Most of what she said I didn't agree with, but we need Gransnetters to hot things up from time to time or we will become bland and uninteresting.

If we say things that HQ or other GN members don't like, I wonder if they will put a sedative in our Horlicks to shut us up - snore, snore grin

Bellanonna Sun 27-Nov-16 17:30:48

Luckygirl, that was an excellent post. Well said.

ffinnochio Sun 27-Nov-16 17:36:23

Good point, gk - but one worth doing.

Anya Sun 27-Nov-16 17:36:42

Tricia when I feel well again, I just might do that! grin

NanKate judging by the theme of some of the threads they've already done that!