Gransnet forums

Chat

Before it's gone

(11 Posts)
DaphneBroon Wed 30-Nov-16 17:11:09

Before we are catapulted into December and all the Christmas razzmatazz I would like to give an airing to a favourite poem of mine for this time of year if I may.

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! -
November!
โ˜”๏ธ๐ŸŒซ๐ŸŒฌ๐Ÿ’จโ„๏ธ๐ŸŒซ
Thomas Hood

NotTooOld Wed 30-Nov-16 17:16:50

Surely he's wrong about the moon, isn't he Daphne? Didn't we get the super moon at the beginning of this month? Or was that October? confused

Luckygirl Wed 30-Nov-16 17:19:37

There is a lovely song based on this poem - my singing teacher had me sing this when I was about 12 and I loved it.

I've looked for a youtube recording to post but cannot find one.

Thank you for reminding me about this poem - and taking me back a bit!

kittylester Wed 30-Nov-16 17:19:53

Thanks Db!

DaphneBroon Wed 30-Nov-16 17:27:10

If you could see the "Supermoon", notTooOld , it was too cloudy here - no change there!

NotTooOld Wed 30-Nov-16 17:39:48

Daphne - yes, we did see it here but only through thin cloud, nothing very spectacular.

Rinouchka Wed 30-Nov-16 17:57:58

Thanks for the poem, Db. I am not familiar with it.
However, when my children were toddlers, we used to read a children's book of months and November went like this: How cold and damp November looks, we stay indoors and read our books!

Cherrytree59 Wed 30-Nov-16 18:03:58

Nice poem
Bit of poetic licence
Our garden is full of birds
And berries (fruit) on the trees
On the way south this evening there was a beautiful big sun to the west that looked like it was about to drop off the horizon.
Has anyone noticed the blue moon that was out at the same time as the sun?

Jayh Wed 30-Nov-16 19:02:37

I had forgotten this poem so thanks for this. It is a tad glum about November. We have had a lovely month of cold, crisp sunny weather and glorious sunsets. The clouds parted long enough for a sighting of the super moon. The birds are doing their duster to get at the feeders. Poor Thomas Hood must have been having a bad day when he wrote it.

rosesarered Wed 30-Nov-16 22:14:27

I like this poem too, but yes, much artistic license taken.We have flowers still, and lots of little birds, sun and moon and dusk, warmth and cheerfulness in abundance, and as for 'comfortable feel in any member' well, blush we have that too!grin

Cherrytree59 Wed 30-Nov-16 22:24:39

blush. Roses I think you may have spotted my deliberate mistake.