Gransnet forums

Chat

Chidcken pox

(21 Posts)
Antonia Sun 04-Dec-16 22:40:38

I have just heard that my DGD has got chickenpox. Her brother hasn't got it yet but it is very likely that his school will not want him to come in while he may be infectious. Unfortunately he has a key part in his Nativity play which is in a couple of days. He has been practising his lines for weeks and will be so disappointed if he has to miss it. I am just feeling sorry for him at the moment and wanted to share.

ninathenana Sun 04-Dec-16 22:46:24

I've never heard of a sibling being told not to attend.

Jalima Sun 04-Dec-16 22:49:27

The incubation period is about 2-3 weeks; unless they have both been in contact with the same source he should be fine.

Jayanna9040 Sun 04-Dec-16 22:51:47

He isn't infectious till the poxes come out. But my son missed being the Angel Gabriel once because he caught mumps at the vital moment!

nanaK54 Sun 04-Dec-16 22:53:17

I'm sure school will want him in.

Antonia Sun 04-Dec-16 23:22:41

He has been in contact with the same source though. I thought children were infectious before the spots come out?

Jalima Sun 04-Dec-16 23:26:52

I hope he'll be OK.
Fingers crossed.

hildajenniJ Sun 04-Dec-16 23:31:57

Isn't chicken pox spread by droplet infection? You catch it by being g coughed or sneezed on. You are correct about the incubation period. Once the spots appear you are no longer infectious. I'm sure your GS won't miss his play though.

Nelliemoser Sun 04-Dec-16 23:39:17

My two had it early on this year. I saw some small pale pink spots on the bigger one and asked DD if there was chicken pox about and she said she didn't think so. Two days later he had proper spots. He was covered in them after a week and was pretty miserable poor chap. Granny knew best!

When my son was just five he was supposed to be doing something big in his class assembly next morning. He was then awake all night with a dreadful earache and in our bed. He had just nodded off when it was about time to get up.
I had to ring the head teacher as soon as I could to ask him to warn his class teacher that he could not come in.

Jayanna9040 Sun 04-Dec-16 23:54:27

Got it the wrong way round. Sorry☹️

mumofmadboys Mon 05-Dec-16 00:06:25

Chicken pox are infectious until the last spots scab over.

Izabella Mon 05-Dec-16 04:36:24

A bit of misinformation here in places. Chicken Pox (varicella zoster) is at its most infectious for around 48 hours BEFORE the appearance of any spots. It usually manifests itself with a child who is off colour, a bit sniffly and with or without a slightly raised temperature two days before any spots arise.

It is infectious until all the blisters have formed scabs after around 7 days, but be aware that the spots often appear in two or three crops over a few days. The incubation period varies between 8-21 days.

In some adults the virus can be reactivated as shingles. Those on steroids, chemo and radiotherapy or who are immunosuppressive should seek GP advice if they are in contact with chicken pox.

A person with shingles can pass chicken or onto anyone who has never had chicken pox. However, you cannot pass shingles onto anyone else.

Jane10 Mon 05-Dec-16 07:06:03

Once, when I was a student, I had a summer job in a large shop. I discovered large red spots and the Dr diagnosed chicken pox. When I phoned in to tell the manager that I had chicken pox he laughed like a drain - until I told him that the entire china dept staff had been round at my house the previous evening! Luckily for him no one else caught it.
It was quite nasty having it as an adult. I'd had it badly as a child too. It was all thoroughly investigated as it was thought that it was impossible to get it twice - but I did!

Anya Mon 05-Dec-16 07:28:00

Antonia he may not catch it. Three of my 4 grandchildren had chickenpox while the 4th didn't catch it that time round. Of course Sod's law he'll come out in spots on the morning of the play.

If it's doing the rounds there might already be several cases in school so not much point in keeping him off. Talk to the HT.

kittylester Mon 05-Dec-16 07:33:32

What Anya said. If it's about there is no point anyobe trying to avoid it.

grannyqueenie Mon 05-Dec-16 07:51:32

I've never heard of a sibling having to stay away from school just in case they're hatching chickenpox, I can't see the point. Usually if there's a child in school who would be at risk by contracting it, e.g. immune suppressed due to chemotherapy, their parents will be warned and can keep their child at home if neccessary.

AlieOxon Mon 05-Dec-16 08:14:47

I've never had it. I had to avoid my greatgrandson recently when he had it! It can be very serious in adults.

TriciaF Mon 05-Dec-16 13:51:36

Isn't chickenpox thought to be linked to shingles in later life?

Jalima Mon 05-Dec-16 14:03:09

Yes, it is TriciaF - if you've had chickenpox the virus lingers near the base of your spine (I think) and can be reactivated as shingles in later life if your immune system is low.
Apparently shingles cannot be activated by contact with chickenpox.
Although our practice nurse thinks it can as she has noticed a lot of cases of shingles when chickenpox is around.

You can, however, catch chickenpox by touching shingles blisters although that is very unlikely.

I had chickenpox very mildly as a child but have had shingles twice (horrible!).

Antonia Thu 08-Dec-16 17:02:59

I am so pleased, the school said that if DGS didn't have spots, please could he come in and do the play!

Jalima Thu 08-Dec-16 17:11:04

Oh good, they do enjoy performing in their plays for their parents and grandparents, we went to see DGD's play this afternoon and it was lovely.