Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Eve Boxes

(93 Posts)
Jennac Thu 08-Dec-16 08:57:01

Stop the world I want to get of! Now parents are being encouraged to give their little ones/proberly big ones as well. Christmas Eve Boxes!!!!! Fill them up and it settles them down for the BIG NIGHT.

I must admit we used to give ours one small gift, and I mean small,,, Not a BOX filled with stuff, More pressure for parents, more spoilt kids, more debt for the new year, ask kids in January. , what did you get? Can't remember.
Rant over.

rosesarered Thu 08-Dec-16 09:01:48

Our children had to wait until Christmas morning, that was the deal! tchgrin
Parents shouldn't give in to ANY pressure about Christmas, and that includes queuing round the block to get a certain present.

Jennac Thu 08-Dec-16 09:10:31

Oh, I so agree, We asked a few children why do you get presents at Christmas?
Um because it's a holiday,

WHAT, even if you are not Christian, I thought the story was general .

M0nica Thu 08-Dec-16 09:10:44

Ridiculous. Half the fun of Christmas when you are small is that exciting, breathless endless wait for Christmas on Christmas Eve.

Parents who give Christmas Eve Boxes are depriving their children of half of the specialness of Christmas day, because it comes after the waiting.

Mumsy Thu 08-Dec-16 09:15:45

Kids are excited enough as it is on xmas morning why would they get them more excited by giving a xmas eve present!?
I do however think its a good idea to spread the xmas presents over xmas day for the younger kids.

Katek Thu 08-Dec-16 09:15:46

And now there's also the ubiquitous Elf on the Shelf! You can now wrack your brains for things for it to do for 3 weeks on top of everything else you're trying to do. Oh and remember to buy it a glittery bed and rocking chair!

rosesarered Thu 08-Dec-16 09:19:17

Oh yes, the elf, that parents have to think up pranks for it to do every night, something funny, wacky etc when they are tired out, and every night in Advent.
Still, parents should not give in to this either, unless the idea really appeals to them.

Jan51 Thu 08-Dec-16 09:24:57

I thought the Christmas eve box was new pyjamas, a Christmas dvd and a stocking to hang up. The grandchildren have always had new pj's for Christmas eve and we usually spend the evening cuddled up with hot chocolate and a Christmas film before setting out the baileys and mince pie for Santa and of course the carrot for the reindeer. The only new thing is the reindeer food sold at the school fair, a mixture of oats and glitter which we have to scatter on the front path so they can find us lol.

DaphneBroon Thu 08-Dec-16 09:38:53

tchblush
I thought the Elf on the Shelf was there to keep an eye on them to make sure they were good!
DD managed to convince DGSs that the "blinking " red light in the corner of the room was Santa watching them!

aggie Thu 08-Dec-16 09:43:33

Up to this year I always bought new pyjamas for all the GC , given on Christmas Eve ,one of my DDs is doing it for me this year , the wee ones and not so wee ones love to send Pics of themselves wearing the PJs as they open the stockings on Christmas morning . It was thought quite subversive when I first did it !!
PS. I join in with the family gifts for everyone and wanted the GC something just from me and the PJs seemed helpful as well as seasonal

ginny Thu 08-Dec-16 09:52:27

Our boxes , just for the little ones consist of new pjs, a copy of The night before Christmas ( read together) stocking, raindeer food and a special mug rug to put Santas drink and mince pie. All except the pjs and raindeer food are the same ones each year. All in a home made or decorated box. It's a lovely little tradition that we all look forward to each year.

FarNorth Thu 08-Dec-16 09:56:29

When I was a child we opened our stockings in the morning, then everyone opened their presents about 4pm, after Xmas dinner.

I was very surprised to learn that many people open everything in the morning.

Jan51 your Xmas eve gifts sound ideal.
The Box idea sounds terrible. confused

GrandmaMoira Thu 08-Dec-16 11:07:36

I've decided to do a Christmas eve box for the first time this year, having heard them discussed a lot recently.
It will include new pyjamas, a DVD and hot chocolate. I think this will help settle the DGDs for the evening and they would probably otherwise have one early present.

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 08-Dec-16 11:25:18

Damn parents, spending their hard earned money on their own kids in a way that makes them both happy, bah humbug! grin

I LOVE Christmas eve boxes and they spread the excitement. A pair of jimmies a book and a mug, perfect.

ps. where are the festive emoji?

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 08-Dec-16 11:26:08

Ooo Moira, what dvd are you getting?

mcem Thu 08-Dec-16 11:26:47

Santa has always managed to tiptoe into bedrooms to deliver new pj's on Christmas Eve but no-one ever opens stocking and presents until Christmas morning.
I think the box could turn out to be the thin edge of the wedge!

jordana Thu 08-Dec-16 11:29:03

I think that the presents should be opened on xmas day but I believe maybe somewhere in Europe, it's xmas eve. Too much emphasis on a king xmas 'so wonderful 'for the children! We lose sight of the real meaning. The build up to santa with all the lies and deceit is laughable at times! I sometimes wonder how our children could trust us again after telling them so many whoppers!

ginny Thu 08-Dec-16 12:09:54

It's a little bit of magic Jordana.

Jalima Thu 08-Dec-16 12:31:31

Never heard of half of these things!!

My poor, deprived DC and DGC.

and it's a wonder Santa manages to get around what with all the sherry, whisky and now even Baileys!! together with a mince pie with brandy in it grin
I thought reindeer just ate carrots, I didn't know there was special food.

They do learn the meaning of Christmas beforehand with Nativity plays, Christingle services and carol services and we all have little nativity scenes set up at home.

Cleverblonde Thu 08-Dec-16 13:23:04

Am I missing something here? In the midst of looking for a new job, trying to buy/sell a house and do all the Christmas shopping I suddenly need to find time to think of witty positions to leave a random elf doll overnight and then post all over social media to show what a creative mother I am. Seriously my 2 year old is excited enough that she sees the Christmas tree and opens her advent calendar every day. As for Xmas eve gifts the only person who will get those is my dad as its his birthday!
Who needs an elf to check on behaviour anyway, surely everyone knows that the Robins who watch through the window report back to Father Christmas about children's behaviour wink

rosesarered Thu 08-Dec-16 13:35:10

You are wrong Clever...... you can't get away with just placing the elf in a funny position , it has to do funny things as well.tchgrin How parents find time and energy for this I don't know.

rosesarered Thu 08-Dec-16 13:37:16

Yes Jalima if Santa drinks like a fish and the reindeer eat like gluttons, it's a wonder the sleigh takes off from all those rooftops!

Anya Thu 08-Dec-16 13:44:02

Anyway real elfs are invisible.

Carol1ne63 Thu 08-Dec-16 13:46:54

I have an Elf, but she justs sits on different shelves and moves around to keep an eye on the kids. I didn't realise she was meant to be doing pranks as well! She's quite lazy so I don't think she'll get up to much.

rosesarered Thu 08-Dec-16 13:49:35

You won't say that Carol when you find that all the Baileys has vanished.tchgrin