Gransnet forums

Chat

How to survive January?

(91 Posts)
Teetime Thu 29-Dec-16 11:39:11

Oh dear January looms. I said to DH this morning we must keep busy and then it will go all the faster. Anyone got any plans on how to get through January cheerfully?

Jalima Thu 29-Dec-16 19:18:32

I will try and catch up with some friends as we were all poorly before Christmas and didn't manage to get together.

Hospital, optician, hairdresser - oh, how the time will fly with all these enjoyable activities!
I still have some plants to put in which should have gone in a few weeks ago.
Must finish the sweaters for the DGDs too before the weather gets warm.

It does always seem a long month though as it seems to start straight after Christmas and drag on.

Jalima Thu 29-Dec-16 19:19:25

and I want to have a clear out, must get motivated.

rockgran Thu 29-Dec-16 19:59:21

I rather like January and its promise of new beginnings and the opportunity to declutter. Most of my hobbies are indoor crafts so it doesn't bother me at all except perhaps for the lack of natural light.

Stansgran Thu 29-Dec-16 20:13:54

DH has his birthday on the 2nd . It's really an effort to make a fuss but I do. It hasn't helped that the token sweater ( his proper present is still to come) was needed over Christmas. His cake was baked today and he is having scallops and game pie for his special request meal followed by clafoutis aux pruneaux d'agen.

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Dec-16 20:36:10

I quite like January. I like walking in the cold, all wrapped up, and coming back in to a warm house. I like lying under the duvet hearing the poor workers scraping their car windscreens and knowing I don't have to stir. I like reading in bed, knowing it's blowing a gale outside and hearing the sleet batter the window. I like Winter food - one pot casseroles, curries, thick soup. My birthday is in mid January and DH's is the same week, so there's also plenty of wine and cupcake and more wine, and a couple of family parties to look forward to.

Of course I'm not so keen on the days we look after our DGS, when we have to be up before 6 and don't get home till after 7, and there's black ice on the road and rain lashing the windscreen, but I try not to think too much about that smile

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Dec-16 20:38:08

And I like to make resolutions. Not that I've kept one for more than a few weeks, ever. But I live in hope. Must start thinking about this year's....

cornergran Thu 29-Dec-16 21:07:38

I plan. Something that is an achievement, no matter how small, every day and also make sure there is something enjoyable each day, could be small like a tv programme or bigger like a meal out. Doesn't matter as long as there is something to look forward to each day. I'm not a winter person but do try to make the best of it.

tanith Thu 29-Dec-16 21:24:43

I quite the cold weather for a few months, love walking even if it snows and I don't mind driving in it either although I know some do. I suppose I just like the seasons and Winter is just one but you always know that Spring isn't far away.

holdthetonic Thu 29-Dec-16 21:27:56

We're going to Athens for 3 nights in mid January for DH's 70th bday. Total cost for the pair of us is £331 including flights. Bargain!

TBH I don't mind January, February is a bit of a problem for me.

Coolgran65 Thu 29-Dec-16 21:48:04

DH and I have a 5* Spa mid week break booked for the last week in January (a very generous gift for all the child care we give). It's on the coast and the area is quite wild and beautiful. I will just keep my fingers crossed that the snow stays away as it is a 6 hour drive each way.
It's followed by a visit to the Theatre on the evening of the day we come home.

Penstemmon Thu 29-Dec-16 22:15:10

We often have a short weekend break..we have been to the Slapstick Festival in Bristol the past two years. This year however we are going on a bigger holiday and are hoping to see the Northern Lights on a Norwegian Fjord cruise. If we are not able to go away then we plan day trips to exhibitions, meet up with friends etc. Not really much different to the rest of the year.

Shanma Fri 30-Dec-16 00:07:52

I don't mind January and February at all. My worst month is November, just after the clocks go back, followed closely by December with all the Christmas rubbish going on . We are now going the right way, heading towards Spring, and slowly slowly the days will be longer, what's not to like? I love it when we get the first snowdrops peeping through.

Witzend Fri 30-Dec-16 00:08:48

I always dread January - so bleak and miserable after the lights and jollity of Christmas - but it never seems as bad as I imagine. Shall spend a lot of it doing a big jigsaw on the dining room table, or curled up on the sofa with a good book, as well as a lot of practice for the piano exam I might be taking in April, if I'm a) up to scratch by then, and b) don't chicken out.
Oh, and a good walk every day - essential for a) counter balancing time spent on sofa with books, and b) working off all the Christmas excess/chocolate - still plenty of all that to go!

durhamjen Fri 30-Dec-16 00:53:37

My eldest son will be 50 in two weeks time.
I just feel old.

M0nica Fri 30-Dec-16 07:30:03

I do not find January any different from any other month, apart from less gardening. I have a whole host of activities at home and away that keep me occupied all year regardless of weather.

So come the beginning of January I have a journal to start editing, some sewing and knitting projects to return to and I am also returning to some charity work I used to do, but with a different charity.

Thingmajig Fri 30-Dec-16 10:39:57

I hate January and would love to be going away somewhere sunny and warm. However, it's not possible this year for a couple of reasons so I'm trying to forget about it and wait for the spring to be sprung.

No birthdays to lighten the load, but the wee DGD will start her big girl nursery after the holidays and we are preparing for the arrival of the new baby so good things on the horizon at least. smile

Pittcity Fri 30-Dec-16 11:39:05

I spring clean in January after the decorations come down. A good declutter does me the power of good. We will also begin to plan as DH is retiring at the end of April. Holidays and maybe a house move this year.
Regular things like walking netball and weekly coffee start again after the Christmas break and DGS1 has a birthday in January.

rubylady Fri 30-Dec-16 17:57:59

I've just received my long johns I ordered in the post today. I now have them on! Very sexy, go with my nightie very well. grin When I am on my scooter in this weather my legs get freezing so I ordered these to keep the biting wind out. I will now order a full set so that my back is kept warm too and my shoulders but also so that I don't stay in and hog the radiator all January. These lovely clothes will help me to get out. I have ordered a little child's thermal vest too, which I will alter to make a tiny one for my doggie to go under her coat for on the scooter, keep her nice and toastie. X

suzied Fri 30-Dec-16 18:02:59

We are doing Dry January which I am not looking forward to. Cheers! ???

Anya Fri 30-Dec-16 18:13:30

suzied i did dry January earlier this year the 100 dry days over the summer. Firstly it's easier that you'd think and secondly you'll find you do drink less when you come off it.

The secret....have something else to drink instead. Pour yourself a glass and have it ready when you'd normally have your first drink. Good luck

suzied Fri 30-Dec-16 18:16:55

Did it last year and it was ok, but still not looking forward to it,

Anya Fri 30-Dec-16 18:18:29

Still wishing you Good Luck ?

sue1169 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:29:32

Well am off to Dubai on New Year Day to meet my brand new grandson Ralph.who had a rough start .emergency C section boxing day...but he and daughter fine and home now ❤ so be there helping for most of January....Happy New Year to everyone on gransnet ✨✨

Iam64 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:54:57

That sounds a great start t 2017 sue1169. I like January, we're on the way to longer, lighter days. I love the cold and even the snow, if we have any. I don't take the Christmas decorations down till 12th night, so plan to enjoy them, and the chocolates until that date when a bit of austerity on the food front will begin.

Sending everyone very best wishes for a peaceful new year

Jalima Fri 30-Dec-16 19:17:25

sue1169 that sounds like the best possible start to January 2017 - Happy New Year and best wishes to you all and to baby Ralph!

I like cold, crisp days Iam64 but today we had freezing fog so a day for hibernating (and doing some cleaning before visitors at the weekend).