Gransnet forums

Chat

How to survive January?

(91 Posts)
Teetime Thu 29-Dec-16 11:39:11

Oh dear January looms. I said to DH this morning we must keep busy and then it will go all the faster. Anyone got any plans on how to get through January cheerfully?

sue1169 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:16:03

Iam64&Jalima.thank you!?oooh am bursting to hold him....✨✨tHappy January...I love EVERY month.whatever it brings..xx

lefthanded Sat 31-Dec-16 00:19:26

I'm another one who quite likes January. Some years ago I learned (the hard way) not to fund Christmas with credit card spending so I have no January bills to fear. Once the decorations are down my wife and I will take some time to argue over discuss where we are going to take our holidays this year, and once we reach a decision we will go to our local library and find out all we can about our chosen destinations.

Granted it will be cold, but somehow I always expect January to be cold-but-dry, whereas February will be cold-and-wet. So we will have a few days out as well.

JackyB Sat 31-Dec-16 08:17:52

January doesn't seem any different from any other month to me.

Plus points:

1. The days are getting lighter, and this seems to happen quite rapidly
2. No great plans yet, and few commitments, except the hairdresser's appointment I made in November.
3. Chance to catch up and, as others have said, spring clean and de-clutter.

However, a colleague is having an operation next week, and I won't be able to take time off work, and will have double the workload, for the 6-8 weeks after that. I hope I shall be able to leave the office early enough to get all the things done at home that I would like to.

Alima Sat 31-Dec-16 08:32:10

Sounds like January and February will fly by for you JackyB, extra work always seems to make the time go quicker. I always dread January too but every year we reach the end and think "where did that month go?". Like many have said we are heading in the right direction and the days are very slowly getting longer. If the weather is awful there will be plenty to do at home, not least catching up with my Christmas books and there may even be something worth watching on the TV.

Doreen5 Sat 31-Dec-16 09:32:33

If you can, get a good pair of walking shoes, a warm coat, hat and gloves, then go for a brisk walk in the woods. You won't notice the cold but you will hear the birds and feel the crackle of autumn leaves under your feet. smile

GandT Sat 31-Dec-16 09:45:56

Book a holiday or two. Lots of English countryside to explore.

deedee6262 Sat 31-Dec-16 09:52:27

Dh and I have just retired. We are flying out to Oz to see our son and his family (2 lovely gs) in January for 2 months to help out with after school care and decorating (and enjoy some sunshine)! We will not miss the English weather and will look forward to spring on our return

GrannyO Sat 31-Dec-16 09:56:59

I love January. Everything is still to come, warmer weather, lighter nights, the garden starting up again, in front of you, not behind you. Just love it.

Skweek1 Sat 31-Dec-16 10:05:21

I also have a number of medical appointments. My choir meets again on 10th after Xmas/NY break. And I always enjoy starting my annual de-clutter (would be nice to actually finish it - one of these years . . . !) and the virtuous feeling of smug self-satisfaction when I can see my floor. Unfortunately, because of serious lack of storage space, Xmas gifts make matters worse!!! This year DS having just finished a C&G course is job-seeking and because he's Asperger's Syndrome, he needs a lot of emotional support. He's also about to dump a GF who has been using him for some months. We're relieved, because he needs her like a fish needs a bicycle, but it will still hit him hard when it happens. And DH and I have agreed to take some "us time"

Blinko Sat 31-Dec-16 10:14:40

I'm with GrannyO and those others who welcome January for the promise of all the good things to come. Bring it on!

sillup Sat 31-Dec-16 10:20:30

After the past year I will simply grateful to partake in January. I think we take life too much for granted. Just saying.

goose1964 Sat 31-Dec-16 10:32:37

It's my eldest grandson's birthday , my Dad's birthday and we are going Manchester to meet the newest addition to the family

Lupin Sat 31-Dec-16 10:38:52

I like to get out the house ( flat these days ) and walk, visit, go to the cinema, anything that gets me out and makes goals to head for. If it snows and is too icy then there is a comfort in being in the warm and phoning friends for a chat. I, too, take pleasure in the longer and longer days that come about quite quickly once Christmas is over. I'm looking forward to the bulbs coming up in the pots on my balcony. Looking forward is my answer to getting through Jan/Feb, yet even as I type I can't help feeling that I should make the best of every day that comes and not wish them away.

SusieB50 Sat 31-Dec-16 10:59:48

Just been out and noticed bulbs poking their noses out in the front garden Hurrah !

EmilyHarburn Sat 31-Dec-16 11:20:37

Go toyout local U3A and try everything before settling on something for Feb.

bunny17 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:22:13

When I was a kid I hated January - now i quite like it - I like the dark mornings. the quietness and the getting back to normal - as long as the weather isnt too bad its quite nice now lol.

Kim19 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:54:40

Love all the positive thinking here. Thanks ladies. For me it's one social activity a day no matter how small. Ticks me over nicely.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 31-Dec-16 11:57:16

I would like to hibernate from end of October until beginning of March and then come into life like our gardens come into life from their long winter sleep and with their energy renewed.
I promise myself each year that through these dreary months I will clear out cupboards ready to dispose of things I never use or clothes I do not need. Maybe even do a bit of interior decorating.
Do I achieve this? No.

Esspee Sat 31-Dec-16 12:10:05

Who knows what January will bring, December has been so unusual with only three really cold days. This is the first I remember being able to garden between Christmas and New Year. Managed to get the cherry tree pruned which is a weight off my mind and our brown bin is full to overflowing with cut back vegetation. Next week, if the dry weather continues, my OH says he will rebuild my compost heaps after he cuts the grass! I am going to be so far ahead when spring arrives. smile It is a bit windy today but temperatures still in double figures, a couple of nights ago it stayed double figures overnight! Guess where we are? Bonnie Scotland!
So to all of you Happy Hogmanay and a Guid New Year when it comes.

mrshat Sat 31-Dec-16 12:59:59

I'm not a great lover of January but I find February very difficult! No idea why tho' confused

gulligranny Sat 31-Dec-16 13:01:31

I always dread snow so don't like January/February. However, DH's birthday is in the middle of Jan, oldest friend's 70th at the end of the month, U3A meetings, grandchild-minding, then middle of Feb I'm going to the David Hockney exhibition - it'll fly by and then Spring will be upon us. And meanwhile I have an excuse (not that I need one) to snuggle down with a good book, a cup of tea and a lovely fire!

Ankers Sat 31-Dec-16 13:07:26

Because I think the first couple of weeks of feb at least, tend to be more of the same of january perhaps?

BRedhead59 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:03:59

Fill it with interesting things
A show, play, a cinema film
A weekend with friends
A holiday
Starting a new project/activity/class

hulahoop Sat 31-Dec-16 14:05:27

Congratulations on new arrival sue enjoy them cuddles. Sill up I am like you just glad to be here to see it .

rosemary55 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:41:52

Love January, 1st is DH Birthday, out for family meal, off to fuerventura midweek (lovely and warm there) back for my birthday, another family meal and catch up. The following week is DD's Birthday another get together, the last week is meeting up with old work colleagues. Then its on to February onwards and upwards. Try and Enjoy everyday whist you can, even the simple things like going for a walk,reading, knitting, and even that pile of paperwork that just keeps getting bigger !!