Gransnet forums

Chat

Car theft warning.

(32 Posts)
shysal Fri 30-Dec-16 08:30:59

When on my morning walks around my village, I see many cars parked on drives or roadside with the engine running to defrost the windows. My neighbour only popped back into the house for a moment, and returned to find his car about to be driven away. The would-be thief managed to escape to an accomplice waiting in a car up the road. The Police are dealing with many such incidents. I must admit to having left my car running in my out-of-sight car park, but won't do it again. Insurance in such cases is null and void too!

lefthanded Fri 30-Dec-16 18:41:15

To clarify "Quitting" a vehicle is an offence under the Road Traffic Act. The important thing to remember is that the RTA is only relevant when the vehicle is on a public road. Leaving a vehicle unattended with the engine running on your own property (i.e. on your drive) is not an offence. Unwise, perhaps. Anti-social, maybe. But not an offence under any U.K. legislation.

tanith Fri 30-Dec-16 18:54:30

lefthanded that post was very timely as OH and I were about to have a fightdisagreement about the legality of it when he leaves it running in our driveway. Saved me from having him say 'told you so' wink

Wobblybits Fri 30-Dec-16 22:20:33

This is covered by rule 123 of the Highway code.

www.highwaycode.info/rule/123

But this only applies to public roads, not your driveway. Otherwise how would garages etc be able to run engines to diagnose or repair.

Bellanonna Fri 30-Dec-16 22:32:49

Anya that was funny!
Mmm, maybe I will try the h.w.b in future and just put up with the cold for 5 mins. I always feel (just a bit) guilty.

Legs55 Sat 31-Dec-16 00:01:10

ChrisCross I too have a Ford Fiesta, 1st new car almost 8 years ago & this one going on 5 years old. Heated windscreen as well as rear window is brilliant, if it's really frosty I start engine, turn on heated screens & heater at full blast. By the time I've cleaned lights & rear side windows I'm ready to go. Front side windows clear with blowers from heater aimed at them.tchgrin

I live on a Private Estate but would still not leave my car unlocked, these days not having to leave for work, I often wait until the sun has done the work for me.tchgrin

dogsdinner Sat 31-Dec-16 10:21:35

When I had to leave early I would put couple of newspapers over front windscreen at night tucked under wipers. Just took them off in morning and windcreen clear. Luckily we don't get frost down here in Cornwall.