Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone doing Dry January?

(97 Posts)
suzied Mon 02-Jan-17 17:11:22

I remember last year there was a thread on this. Just wondered if anyone else was doing this as we are on day 2? Not that I'm counting or anything.

cornergran Mon 02-Jan-17 20:16:16

I plan to try, no promises though ?

Mildred Mon 02-Jan-17 21:01:39

Son goes home on Sunday will try then, possibly try for 4 days out of 7, rather than a dry month which seems very harsh.

Lisalou Mon 02-Jan-17 21:12:48

I neeed to lose some weight, so yes. I hope so. If I don't give up. Cos I need to lose weight.

am I convincing anyone?

Taffy1234 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:24:36

Hi thought I might give it a go. Don't want to join up officially just trying to go it alone. Consumption and weight have crept up alarmingly with age.
Wish me luck.

adaunas Tue 03-Jan-17 10:25:42

I'm with the choccy biscuit group, -or any chocolate actually. I drink so little and so rarely I'd not really notice a dry month, but I usually give up chocolate for Lent and that's HARD!

fatfairy Tue 03-Jan-17 10:28:48

Yes, started NYDay and still going strong (it's the 3rd already and I really haven't noticed the lack so far!) However, it's off to the pics and Pizza Express tonight - and what's a pizza without an Italian beer? But then definitely nothing at all until February. Unless there's some thing needing celebrating, of course.
I find it much easier to not drink at all rather than cut down ... And I did try it one year, and lost weight.

Marydoll Tue 03-Jan-17 10:29:28

DH and I have just had the conversation about giving up. Decided dry January too unrealistic. Going to do dry Sunday till Friday!

CannyGranny Tue 03-Jan-17 10:29:41

Yes! Did it last year too. Felt loads better for it too. Might even extend it and do February as well!!

maryhoffman37 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:29:49

We are doing "damp January"! That is, we are not going to have wine every night with dinner but last night after working all the Bank Holiday and wrestling with quite complex tech, we awarded ourselves a G & T!

Lilyflower Tue 03-Jan-17 10:32:46

No, I prefer constant moderation to 'feast and fast'. I did drink a bit most days this Christmas holiday but usually I don't touch alcohol in the week and then have a couple of glasses of wine (a day) at the weekend.

I am very suspicious of Puritan fasts.

Liz46 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:36:22

I do like the 'damp January' mary. Mumsnet are taking dry January much more seriously.

Have we all reached the age of 'a little of what you fancy'?

annifrance Tue 03-Jan-17 10:41:18

Started yesterday. After about three or four days the urge to imbibe tails off. So fingers crossed.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 03-Jan-17 10:45:13

My whole year is dry except for a half glass of wine at Christmas. Started when pregnant 27 years ago and just never went back to it.

Nona4ever Tue 03-Jan-17 10:47:46

Yes, have started, but just waiting for the crippling de-tox headaches to kick in. They happen every January and every Lent and are really really bad. Increase the sense of martyrdom very nicely.

KatyK Tue 03-Jan-17 10:51:17

Well these posts have certainly made me feel better smile I seem to be surrounded by people who are doing dry January and articles in the press telling me how much better some of their readers feel after giving up. When I saw the title of the thread I thought you would all be doing it, so thanks folks!! I feel pressure to do the dry January thing but just at this moment in time, I don't feel like it. I am however going to cut down (honest).

Riverwalk Tue 03-Jan-17 10:58:38

KatyK are you referring to the article in the Daily Mail?

Two of those women drink 70 units+ per week - that's about 12 bottles! shock

If I've got me sums right hmm

KatyK Tue 03-Jan-17 11:09:39

Yes Riverwalk It is an lot of alcohol but when you read the before and after test results, in most cases, there wasn't a vast difference in their health.

grandMattie Tue 03-Jan-17 11:09:46

DH did dry January and sober for October last year. He whinged SO MUCH that I made him promise not to utter a word if he was doing it again this year.
Me? I drink, barely 7 units a weeks; often dry week, wet weekend. I really don't see what the benefits as opposed to the sadness of going without! tchgrin

paddyann Tue 03-Jan-17 11:10:49

yes had my last drin at midnight on Hogmanay ,I also have a dry month or two during the year,usually May and October ,I'm not a big drinker anyway and I've always had months ,sometimes several where I dont bother to drink .I do feel more alert and sleep better without any

amt101 Tue 03-Jan-17 11:12:03

I do dry most of the year. Managed a bottle of ready made mulled wine over Christmas and new year.

KatyK Tue 03-Jan-17 11:26:35

I've never quite understood the unit thing either. I have just read that one medium glass of wine is 2 units. Some wine (ie Prosecco) is only about 5% volume and some can be as high as 14 I think. They just say a medium glass of wine. One of the women in the trial I mentioned is drinking 70+ units per week but she drinks Prosecco. Surely they can't just say 'wine' when some are much lower than others.

moxeyns Tue 03-Jan-17 11:30:34

I'm SO going back to 5:2 eating. So that's 2 dry days a week, that'll do!

Craftycat Tue 03-Jan-17 11:35:33

No - but defo cutting down this year. Bottle of wine 3 times a week ( not on 'school nights' but Sunday doesn't count!!) has become 4-5 nights a week followed by a scotch or gin & that often becomes 2 so we think we are over doing it.

Ana Tue 03-Jan-17 11:40:03

Wine bottles tell you how many units they contain on the back label.

You can calculate it yourself by multiplying the alcoholic volume by the liquid volume (ml) and dividing by 100.

The Prosecco woman must drink a heck of a lot of it during the week! shock

gillyjp Tue 03-Jan-17 11:46:46

Yep OH and myself doing dry January. We decided we would awhile ago having done sober October and found it reasonably easy. Harder this time as we have had all the Christmasy drinks in and quite a bit left over. Still it doesn't go off does it so shouldn't be a problem. As a rule we only have alcohol Fri/Sat/Sunday and very rarely on a weekday apart from Friday but we have got into the routine of chilling out on Friday evening after doing the big weekly shop and that is sankrosanct but will cut that out till February now. We like the idea of 2 alcohol free months out of 12 and don't consider it too much of a hardship. We only have one family birthday in January so may relent and have a glass with the family birthday meal - we'll see...... feeling virtuous smile