Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone doing Dry January?

(97 Posts)
suzied Mon 02-Jan-17 17:11:22

I remember last year there was a thread on this. Just wondered if anyone else was doing this as we are on day 2? Not that I'm counting or anything.

merlotgran Tue 03-Jan-17 17:04:12

After the day I've had? Not a chance!!

I managed to lose our back door key while we were out shopping. Got home, needing the loo, dogs needing to go OUT and we couldn't get IN. DH remembered he had a spare key in the workshop but the workshop keys were IN THE HOUSE!

How we solved it is the stuff of sit-coms.....DH has a plastic barrel outside the workshop full of bits of scrap, old screws, etc., etc. I'm always nagging him about it because he never throws anything away. He upended it and found a few rusty old keys down the bottom from way back when.

I took the one that looked the closest in size, sent up an enormous prayer and.....IT FITTED. How lucky was that????

I'm in the doghouse and HE'S walking around with a smug smile on his face. grin

jacq10 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:05:57

Ana - just had a look in the wine rack - red, white, rose - lowest was 11.5%

Ana Tue 03-Jan-17 18:10:22

Well, I have a couple of bottles of Gallo white zinfandel which are only 8% but I admit that's low. There are quite a few rosés which are around the 10 - 11% mark though.

It depends what you like - I don't like dry wine, which tends to be higher in alcohol.

Neversaydie Tue 03-Jan-17 23:43:52

I'vd done a dry month three or four times .The first time I lost weight .The others I didn't .Persuaded DH to join me once as I thought it would be easier -it was July. He absolutely hated it and whinged , so no it wasn't easier
I think I did feel better and I think I eat more when I drink. It lowers the inhibitions.
But I normally drink only Fri-Mon (a hangover-sorry-from working days which we have stuck to) and usually only wine.DH sometimes has a small scotch as a night cap .
Trouble is over Christmas I have been drinking like a fish and now I find myself fancying a G and T or a Bailey's Or even a cocktail
But it's back on the straight and narrow from the coming wekend when all the nibbles have been eaten up .I have to lose the 4lbs I have put back on and get back on track to have lost 1.5stone in a year (I was doing ok) I have until end of March

Grandma2213 Wed 04-Jan-17 00:33:52

merlotgran I know what you mean. Most of my days are like that. I know I can give up (and frequently do) but not just now. Unfortunately I enjoy sherry not just wine which is probably stronger but hey at my age so what!! I have to say when I do stop the alcohol I am up in the night regularly for the loo which is very annoying. I don't usually feel any different but I may lose weight and I guess my liver feels happier. Also my grocery bills are cheaper. Maybe February (or March) but I usually keep it up for several months at a time so when the time is right...... hmm

hildajenniJ Wed 04-Jan-17 08:23:08

Dry January! Dry the rest of my life. I realised over Christmas that alcohol of any sort gives me acid reflux. I couldn't even have a very small Bailey's without the awful burning. Oh woe is me! I shall have to explore the soft alternatives.

Anya Wed 04-Jan-17 08:46:37

Did dry January last year and a dry 100 days over the Summer. There's a knack to it (tip for dry virgins) always have a planned non-alcoholic ready. Experiment, find out what you actually like and substitute that. But watch out for high sugars!

My personal favourite was sour cherry juice topped up with slimline tonic (summer) or ginger cordial and warm water (winter)

Good luck.

etheltbags1 Wed 04-Jan-17 09:34:55

I don't drink much but I find January is the month to do it. In December I'm the one who drives everyone about on Christmas day, boxing day and I'm usually in the shops or driving somewhere in the week in between, on newyears eve I find I'm driving to see my DGD, this year she stayed over so I did not have a drink, I had to drive her home and I took her to the park, so no drinks then either. I finally had a glass of gin later on new years eve, never having had gin before I thought it was a sort of alcopop and I nearly choked, I had an enormous glass of tonic with it and I still felt tipsy, I fell asleep immediately, On the 2nd I had a glass of wine, very small but again I fell asleep, so I will have a small glass just to use it up as no one else I know drinks alcohol. so sod dry January but it will be dry the rest of the year.

etheltbags1 Wed 04-Jan-17 09:35:40

I meant that I had a small gin on new years day.

annodomini Wed 04-Jan-17 10:30:17

As I live alone, I drink very little - I don't 'do' solitary drinking - too much history of that in a previous generation. So 'dry January' is usually a 'given' for me. It has, however, just occurred to me that I had a small glass of white wine when I went to visit friends on Monday. It's a 'not quite dry' January for me. And for the rest of the year because I value my driving licence.

dogsmother Wed 04-Jan-17 10:39:15

I did it last year, fairly pointless to me as I only drink on Friday nights and it didn't seem to do anything for me apart from save me some cash?

Anya Wed 04-Jan-17 14:17:23

Seemed a bit pointless then dogs

Ana Wed 04-Jan-17 15:44:37

Unless you drink an awful lot on Friday nights! wink

merlotgran Wed 04-Jan-17 16:33:31

I think maybe I'll give it a go after all. grin

judypark Wed 04-Jan-17 16:38:14

Definitely doing Dry January :- Dry Sherry, Dry Martini and Dry White Wine. I am totally committed. Anybody with me?

annifrance Thu 05-Jan-17 13:15:34

made me chuckle merlot Gran! Day 3 and going well, not missing it even at Apero o'clock. I'm thinking of trying more dry months, or maybe fortnights, May before the onrush of BBQs, aperos, clients, guests etc. Then again in October to recover from the summer. Might help keep the weight stable. I will ease back into it by trying to only drink at weekends and social occassions. Has worked before. There's always a glass of tonic water with a slice of lemon to kid yourself you are drinking GT. Where do you get sour cherry juice from Anya?

suzied Thu 05-Jan-17 13:46:50

It's day 5 in my book. Upping my intake of fizzy mineral water, with ice and lemon is quite refreshing. Lemon and ginger tea is quite warming in the evening too. The weekend will be more challenging.

Riverwalk Thu 05-Jan-17 13:52:50

I'm having a dry(ish) January - Day 1 today.

I don't bother with substitutes such as sparkling elderflower in flutes or grinless tonic ...... the pretending just doesn't fool me grin

I just have a cup of tea instead. Lovely... hmm

Riverwalk Thu 05-Jan-17 14:06:20

I'm also having a 'wet' January - endeavouring to drink more water - can't stand the bloody stuff. I've opened a 2 litre bottle of sparkling and will try and drink at least half of it today.

So as well as saving money on no alcohol I'll have peachy dewy skin smile

nellgwin Fri 06-Jan-17 18:48:34

Dam it, just downed a dry wine spritzer and second being poured by hubby. O well by next year I will be 4 stone lighter,and alcohol free. Yer right!

Greyduster Fri 06-Jan-17 19:26:27

I was almost tempted off the S&N yesterday - had a lovely fish pie for dinner that would have gone very well with a large glass of Hardy's Bankside. Stuck to water. Grim.