Gransnet forums

Chat

#losing the plot

(87 Posts)
rubylady Wed 04-Jan-17 20:57:43

I am going to have my DS call the men in the white van! I went to purchase some soya capsules, to help with these menopause symptoms. I was sure I already had done so, so looked for the packet. No, nowhere to be seen. None in my drawer, none in the cupboard, none on the table. Oh well, I'll get some then. Not cheap, not expensive but money better spent if already got some, obviously.

Packet came yesterday, yippee, took a couple, over the day, ok. Then, just now, coming back in from the kitchen, a packet of the very same capsules sitting on my tea trolley! Why hadn't I seen it? So, 120 capsules now to get through! hmm

I do this all the time, especially with dvd's and cd's. I buy them, thinking I haven't got them and then I find out (usually from a laughing DS) that I already had a copy.

Do other people buy replicas and then find the original? Or am I really going to the dogs? confused

annodomini Fri 06-Jan-17 13:03:30

Which reminds me, ggmarion of the time we went to a cricket match at Trent Bridge. My exH and DSs kept telling me I was wearing odd earrings and I was so used to them playing silly tricks on me that I just didn't believe them. But then I went to the Ladies and looked in the mirror and there they were - one dark green and the other dark blue. blush

ggmarion Fri 06-Jan-17 12:16:03

This post has cheered me up no end. I recently went to my annual treat - an Andre Rieu concert. All dolled up and feeling quite presentable. Only to find when removing earrings I had worn two different ones!

Madmeg Fri 06-Jan-17 00:57:13

Have just been into kitchen to tell hubby some of your stories and he nodded in agreement. My sides are splitting with laughter - thanks for a good evening in like company!

grannyqueenie Fri 06-Jan-17 00:40:44

Once upon a time I was that person who remembered everyone's names and never forgot a face, people would compliment me on it! Then came the menopause and later a move to a completly different part of the country where everyone I met was new. I volunteer helping to run drop in groups for young families, no way can I remember these young women's names for more than a nanosecond. By the time I've reached the kitchen a few yards away I can't remember if it was tea or coffee they asked for. The only saving grace is that my fellow volunteers, who are of a similar age, are as bad as I am!

BlueBelle Thu 05-Jan-17 23:56:19

When I was working I used to interview the general public there was no receptionist I used to open the door to a small seating area and invite the person into my room Because I could NOT remember the many different faces and names and not wanting to look stupid I devised a method where I just opened the door and called the name without looking up then said person would identify themselves by getting up All went well until one day I did just that, opened the door and called out 'Steve',, Steve trotted into my room with me thinking, I can't remember this guy at all we talked for a good five minutes with me feeling more and more panicky as I didn't recognise anything he was saying , then a colleague knocked on my door and said I think you ve got my client ...yes you ve got it there were two Steves in the waiting room

lujaha Thu 05-Jan-17 22:08:53

Jalima I think so. But it was a very long time ago !confused

Charleygirl Thu 05-Jan-17 21:05:12

anno I went to a certain upmarket supermarket today which was selling loads of items at half price. I saw a cleaner and thought that it would be good to try this one in the kitchen. Bought it and when I got home discovered I had bought the same ages ago and have been merrily using it for a week or two.

NanKate there are so many of us that we would need a small town I think.

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Jan-17 20:42:59

We went to see The Who at an open-air venue about 10 years ago. You could tell we were at the older end of the age spectrum when we got out to the acres of carpark and realised we hadn't made a note of where we'd parked. We just had to hang around with everyone driving past us until there was just a handful of cars left. Luckily we'd taken our old people folding chairs with us and blankets to drape over our knees blush

annodomini Thu 05-Jan-17 20:36:17

The cupboard under the sink is the hiding place for duplicate purchases. For some unknown reason, I have a large collection of multi-surface cleaners. Perhaps I should make an effort to use them up!

Welshwife Thu 05-Jan-17 20:35:11

My French friend, who lives near Meaux, shops at a hyper-Carrefour and the car park is so huge that she now parks a good way from the shop in the same row and letter number each time as twice she has lost her car and needed to phone her husband to come and drive round the car park to find it!
I love seeing her as we can still be as daft as when we first met when we were both 16.

Sheilasue Thu 05-Jan-17 20:00:49

So nice to know I am not the only one.

lizzypopbottle Thu 05-Jan-17 19:58:17

I went through a phase of buying the same thing over and over e.g. say we got low on sugar, I'd buy a bag when out shopping then next time, convinced we were low on sugar, I'd buy a bag until there'd be half a dozen in the cupboard. Toilet rolls were another repeat buy. I don't do it lately. Incidentally, do you call it toilet paper, toilet tissue (a friend calls it this, too posh for me) toilet roll or lavatory/bog preceding any of those?

Jalima Thu 05-Jan-17 19:57:43

I presume you were on the right train, going in the right direction though lujaha
I can say no more ..... blush

lujaha Thu 05-Jan-17 19:53:31

That reminds me a friend was on the train going to college (we were still in our teens), looked down and realised she was still wearing her slippersgrin

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Jan-17 19:47:34

Just this afternoon I left DDIL's after minding DGS3 for a couple of hours. I couldn't find my gloves, so left her searching for them. Halfway to town I rooted down in my handbag for my bus ticket and lo and behold there were the gloves, which I tucked under my arm while I found the ticket. And yes, then walked off scattering them as I went. Realised when my hands got a bit chilly, so had to backtrack and pick them both up, lying on the pavement a few yards from each other. So I had to text DDIL: found the gloves, lost them again, found them again, you can stop looking blush

I was only in my 40s when I looked down at my feet on an M & S escalator and was mortified to see one was matte navy, one was black patent. And they weren't even the same style! Things haven't improved...

lujaha Thu 05-Jan-17 19:46:24

I recently was lucky enough to get some counselling on the nhs, for reasons that I shall not go into here. During one session I was complaining that my memory seemed to be failing. The reply was that as we age the filing cabinet (our memory) gets over full and it takes longer and longer to find the correct file, but it usually gets there in the end. I found this most reassuring.

NanKate Thu 05-Jan-17 19:23:58

What about forgetting words - Does anyone ever forget the name of an object and have to use an alternative word ?

Certain well known people I have difficulty with such as Eric Clapton and Eva Cassidy, I can see them in my mind's eye but not their names.

Charleygirl do you think we should have a Gransnet Care Home for daft old bats like us ?

Jalima Thu 05-Jan-17 18:56:21

Yes, I have tried to buy the same book more than once!

elleks Thu 05-Jan-17 18:40:59

Luckily I buy most of my books on Kindle, and Amazon tells me if I've already bought it.

Grandmama Thu 05-Jan-17 18:23:07

What a relief to read these posts. I thought I was going doolally. I spend much of my life looking for things I've misplaced, trying to remember what people have told me, who they are, what day of the week it is etc. Yes, I've bought clothes and found they are duplicates of what I already have. Also plants for the garden have been duplicated. And I've found myself meeting people who obviously know me and my family but I can't actually place them, makes conversation tricky. In the summer I got to the bus stop and found I hadn't my purse so no money or bus pass. I sprinted home, caught the next bus, almost split a gut sprinting from the bus to the venue for the book group at the other side of town, managed to arrive only 5 minutes late only to find no-one there, the book group was actually meeting about 10 minutes walk from where I live. And I had the correct venue in my diary!!

Jalima Thu 05-Jan-17 18:15:10

We lived in a house for six years with our small DC then another baby.

I can remember every detail about that house except the bathroom and I can't remember the layout of it at all - yet I went into there at least twice every day, bathed children there etc, had a few minutes peace in the bath. The only thing I can remember about it is when I opened the airing cupboard door one morning and a sparrow flew out. He had pooed all over the clean sheets.

Perhaps I should be worried; however I can remember all the details about other houses we lived in.
confused

Charleygirl Thu 05-Jan-17 17:58:46

Welcome custard123 to the mad hatters society, used to be known as Gransnet.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 05-Jan-17 17:58:38

Jackie B You can also view previous purchases yourself on amazon Just go to 'my account' Gives you an idea if they have put their prices up since.

custard123 Thu 05-Jan-17 17:54:35

I think your posts may have saved my sanity,have spent all last night looking for a gift reciept for a expensive item to be returned, thought I put it in library book I was reading for safe keeping returned library books yesterday,!!!Arrived at library today to be told that particular book had been taken out by someone, of all the books they could have taken,(shock)have been so upset all day today even forgot to go to monthly meeting I wrote last night! in diary.I live on my own and I find I am not very good at bringing myself out of the negative thoughts that come over me, It was such a relief and laughter to myself to see these posts,made me feel so much relieved and happy dare I say. This is my first post written so please bear with me, I felt I had to try and let you all know you have given me laughter the first for a few days Thank You all (flowers)

Foxyferret Thu 05-Jan-17 17:39:56

This very afternoon I parked but realised on my way to the shop, I had left my glasses in the car. I went back, pressed the button on my key but nothing happened (it is a bit temperamental). I then tried to open the door with my key but it would not go in. I also tried the boot, nothing. I was waiting on my mobile for my breakdown company to answer, when I noticed a baby seat in the back of my car for a baby I do not have. Yep, you guessed it. My car was 2 cars away. I had been trying to get into an identical grey Corsa which did not belong to me. Thank goodness the owner did not come back or the breakdown company answer me. How daft is that?