Gransnet forums

Chat

#losing the plot

(86 Posts)
rubylady Wed 04-Jan-17 20:57:43

I am going to have my DS call the men in the white van! I went to purchase some soya capsules, to help with these menopause symptoms. I was sure I already had done so, so looked for the packet. No, nowhere to be seen. None in my drawer, none in the cupboard, none on the table. Oh well, I'll get some then. Not cheap, not expensive but money better spent if already got some, obviously.

Packet came yesterday, yippee, took a couple, over the day, ok. Then, just now, coming back in from the kitchen, a packet of the very same capsules sitting on my tea trolley! Why hadn't I seen it? So, 120 capsules now to get through! hmm

I do this all the time, especially with dvd's and cd's. I buy them, thinking I haven't got them and then I find out (usually from a laughing DS) that I already had a copy.

Do other people buy replicas and then find the original? Or am I really going to the dogs? confused

Christinefrance Wed 04-Jan-17 21:08:35

No you are not alone, I often duplicate book purchases and over stock toiletries. I'm too old to blame the menopause so for me must be an age thing.

DaphneBroon Wed 04-Jan-17 21:27:50

rubylady you are talking to the person who not only bought a book from the Oxfam book shop without realising she had read it before, but when I opened it, whose name was inside?
My own blush

grannypiper Wed 04-Jan-17 21:38:42

I called my Doctors repeat prescription line and when the lady answered the phone i had no idea what on earth i had called for, she laughed and went down my list of meds but it was a no to all of them until she started on my DH list, it was his medication i wanted to order. confused

NanKate Wed 04-Jan-17 21:40:26

How I emphasthize with you Rubylady I often wonder if I have taken my morning tablets or am I remembering the ones I took yesterday ? hmm

I buy a top which is virtually the same as others I possess

I go to get the tea out from the cupboard and I am in the wrong cupboard shock I know perfectly well which cupboard it's in.

I now make myself look carefully when I have lost something because it is often where It should be, but like you I don't see it the first time.

The list is endless.

I hate getting old and forgetful.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Jan-17 21:58:03

I usually have to phone people back, after listening carefully and making "uh ha, yes of course" noises, because I've forgotten what they told me..
I've always claimed its because my mind is overloaded with everyone else's appointments, shopping lists, etc. hmm

Greenfinch Wed 04-Jan-17 22:18:56

I find clothes in my cupboard that I have no memory of buying. Today I got a dessert out of thefreezer that I made before Christmas. Not only do I not remember making it but I havent a clue about what it is supposed to be !

NanKate Wed 04-Jan-17 22:32:55

Just eat it Greenfinch it could be delicious. smile

grannyqueenie Wed 04-Jan-17 22:59:06

Or it could be a salmon mousse grin

ninathenana Thu 05-Jan-17 01:07:19

I buy a fortnightly magazine and on more than one occasion have bought the same one twice only realising when I'm half way through reading the second copy.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Jan-17 06:07:11

I too am guilty of this have a number of very similar clothes because I like it and have forgotten I had it

I have sent the same present to my friend twice because I knew she'd love it ....dah

About 10 years ago I visited my son in NZ and brought a few presents back recently I was at my friends house and asked to use her loo when I came out I said to her I love that Paua shell ornament in there her answer ' you silly bugger you brought it me'

Falconbird Thu 05-Jan-17 06:26:31

I sometimes look through my clothes and am amazed to find a top or a pair of trousers that I have no memory of buying - or finding something I had put in the charity bag as a really bad buy only to find it is really nice. I've spent hours looking for a particular garment but never find it and can only conclude that I've thrown it away. When we're young this is all "a bit of a laugh" but when we get older we are inclined to worry more about these things.

JackyB Thu 05-Jan-17 06:54:59

This is all very comforting - to know you're not alone. I know many people here don't like Amazon, but at least they warn you if you've already bought a book or CD if you try to buy it again. (Or is that just for downloads onto the Kindle?)

Greenfinch Thu 05-Jan-17 07:57:07

Our library also tells you if you have taken out a book before which is very helpful.

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Jan-17 08:31:45

Oh, this thread makes me feel so much better. It's so good to know I'm not the only daft beggar in the village. grin

petra Thu 05-Jan-17 09:01:57

Daphnes post made me smile. The times I have been in a charity shop and thought: ooh, that looks nice, and then the brain says " you bloody fool, you donated it"

Christinefrance Thu 05-Jan-17 09:19:32

Asking for directions, by the time the person has finished telling me which way to go I have forgotten what they said.
Seeing people out of context too, if I see someone from the library where I volunteer in the supermarket I cannot remember their name. confused

Stansgran Thu 05-Jan-17 09:30:44

Not just you. DH and I agreed that we would go to Malta in February flying locally, good timing on the flights for seven days and four star hotel. The travel agent gave a print out and I left him on the pooter sorting it out. So why are we going to Venice in March from an entirely different airport?

Rinouchka Thu 05-Jan-17 09:50:28

You have all made me smile in recognition, the mysterious food in the freezer, the books already read but forgotten, the donated clothes rebought, the films/ plays reseen but only recognised as play commences, etc., etc.
Last year,I bought theatre tickets twice for the same play, same date, as I didn't want to miss the discount offered!
Have just bought beautiful half priced Christmas cards from The National Gallery. Will I remember next year? Have written note to self( for Nov 2017) in phone diary , stating where the lovely cards have been stored.....
And I am convinced I still have photographic memory!

SussexGirl60 Thu 05-Jan-17 09:53:01

Thanks stansgran for making my day-I laughed so much when I read your post!!???-sorry it was at your expense. Hope you have a great time wherever you go. Reminds me of my father in law who always had fantastic holidays but could never tell us where he'd been....he lived to a ripe old age...? Maybe we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously!

Falconbird Thu 05-Jan-17 10:17:56

Love this thread. I met someone from my working past a while ago in a supermarket. The thing was I had no idea who she was. She seemed to know all about me and I was getting all hot and bothered wondering who the heck this total stranger was. After about five minutes I suddenly twigged. It was her voice that did the trick. I tentatively used her name during the conversation and she didn't contradict me. My bewilderment when she was asking about my family etc., was total.

nannypiano Thu 05-Jan-17 10:25:28

I almost bought a lovely pair of shoes I saw in a shop window, but being sensible I couldn't really afford them. Lucky because a few days later, I found the exact pair in my wardrobe, never worn.(smile)

Kim19 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:26:03

I acknowledge many of these experiences but I now write everything down. It's a chore but it works for me and , like many things, where it started out as an absolute irritant it's now second nature and so helpful. go for it!

Jayanna9040 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:35:49

Yes well it's a nice day so I thought I'd hang the washing out. I can't find the linen basket. Not so much a basket, more a great big, bright pink, plastic tub. Why can't I see it. It must be somewhere. It's only a little house....

Juney64 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:50:03

DaphneBroon - your post made me laugh out loud!! haha!