Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do men...?

(78 Posts)
Teetime Tue 10-Jan-17 14:28:08

Cough so loudly. I am surrounded by men with mega decibel coughs can't they reign it in a bit?

tigger Wed 11-Jan-17 11:23:34

And there was I thinking it was just my OH who coughed loudly especially when we are watching the news.

Diddy1 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:31:14

I have had a good laugh knowing we are all the same, but not suffering in silence, no there is none around with these men we have, mine sneezes so loudly, almost makes the whole house shake, he does it deliberately when I am having a lie in, to get me up I think!

Katek Wed 11-Jan-17 11:32:20

He has moonlight as I also wondered if that was contributing to the volume although he has always been loud. He has very mild hearing loss commensurate with his age so nothing to account for the giant at the top of the beanstalk volume. He could readily frighten small children!

newnanny Wed 11-Jan-17 11:56:03

I have had a terrible cough for weeks and it is draining me and throat so sore and I can't seem to get any Gees's Linctus which is only cough medicine that ever works for me. I've tried Lloyd's pharmacy on line as which is where I have got it from before but they say they cannot source it at the moment. Not sure if that is because so may have bad coughs or not. Does anyone know where I could get any?

nanasam Wed 11-Jan-17 12:24:41

My DH must have the loudest sneezes ever, makes my ears hurt! Just as bad, though, is when he's talking on his mobile. He shouts, as if he's trying to contact them without a phone at all! If his mobile goes off in public, I walk away in embarrassment and hear him from the other side of the shop!

Lilyflower Wed 11-Jan-17 13:06:42

Coughing, sneezing, blowing his nose. Much as I love him, my DH does these all too frequently and too loudly. There is a note in his coughing which is so piercing and penetrating that it makes me jump and sets my heart racing.

mancgirl Wed 11-Jan-17 13:19:52

My DH also sneezes so loud it rattles my nerves. Not only that but is never a single sneeze but a succession of sneezes - as many as 12 I think is the current record! I always say would you sneeze like that in church or at a funeral? Doesn't respond to that but not been tested yet!

Juggernaut Wed 11-Jan-17 13:21:01

Why is it that DH coughs, then hits his chest, coughs, hits his chest, every damn time?
He's been told that if he doesn't stop, one day I'm going to duct tape a knife to his hand, so when he hits his chest..........

Flowerofthewest Wed 11-Jan-17 13:26:48

The nose blowing. I have yet to witness a woman getting her hankie out at the dining table, loudly blowing her nose and checking the contents. Also why is it only men who are unaware of stray, escaping bogies. I can relate to the car/loo thing. Also why do men have to pee by the roadside. I have never seen a woman squatting with her drawers down having a quick pee. We can usually wait til the next stop.

marionk Wed 11-Jan-17 15:10:26

Mine does some sort of weird trumpeting, blowing thing in the bathroom whilst washing his face in the morning, but can't/won't explain what it is he is doing in there.

inishowen Wed 11-Jan-17 15:10:54

Hubby has had a really bad cold and cough for the last five days, and don't we know it! He's started making this disgusting noise at the end of each cough, like a throat clearing noise. It started as a joke, now it's a habit. Grrrr....

CardiffJaguar Wed 11-Jan-17 16:02:13

Oh dear. This thread says it more plainly than anything else: this forum is only for ladies, cough, cough.......

Nanevon Wed 11-Jan-17 17:03:17

Haven't laughed so much for ages - what a tonic this thread has been. Loved the idea of Radicalnan's OH patting his Willy after picking up the phone! Just read the thread with suggestions for murder - some excellent ideas for the future!

AmMaz Wed 11-Jan-17 17:17:14

Radicalnan, your post did make me laugh!

entropy Wed 11-Jan-17 19:07:33

Feed him a laxative

stillaliveandkicking Wed 11-Jan-17 19:21:02

Anyone constantly coughing is annoying, but then again I AM intolerant these days grin

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 19:21:33

Checking their tackle is a typical male thing to do ( being ladies, we wouldn't know what it's like.) grin Although it doesnt need doing every time they pick the phone up.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 11-Jan-17 19:34:37

Is it roses? If my son kept touching his balls I'd tell him to stop it or I'd take my hot air brush to them. I liken this to blokes spitting in the street.

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 19:57:25

Does your son still live at home then?
I imagine that most of the time we don't notice it happen,it's hardly a terrible crime though.grin

stillaliveandkicking Wed 11-Jan-17 20:01:48

Why would you allow a partner or any male near you to scratch his balls constantly. Yes, it is gross.

f77ms Wed 11-Jan-17 21:34:54

Well I am here alone and laughing ( very loudly) what a brilliant thread ! Hope the neighbours can`t hear me ..

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 21:38:00

Yes, we need more levity grin

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 21:40:05

There was a funny thread recently on loud sneezing, the type where ATISHOO! is shouted with the sneeze, and had to confess to that being me! blush

f77ms Wed 11-Jan-17 21:41:34

stillalive why would that bother you so much . I presume he is doing it over his trousers , what`s the harm as long as its done in private . Males are fascinated by their private parts, you only have to watch nature programmes to see this . At least it doesn`t make a noise !

grumppa Wed 11-Jan-17 21:43:27

Men have developed high volume noises to escape the chatter of the fairer sex. They regularly check their genitals to make sure they haven't been castrated by the monstrous regiment of women.

These are defence mechanisms. Pity us!