Gransnet forums

Chat

School reports- what were yours like?

(103 Posts)
Pigglywiggly Sat 14-Jan-17 19:56:25

Sorting the house ready to move, I came across my school reports. They are rarely encouraging (although when I came top of the whole year in English I was treated to 'A very pleasing exam result.' No kidding.)
Mostly it was 'Could do better' - how did they know? Or once in RE 'Good but not outstanding' hmm
Then I went to Tech where I suddenly became 'Intelligent, articulate and thoughtful'.
Teachers were never held to account or expected to take any responsibility, hence my Geography teacher writing 'Shows no geographic sense whatsoever'. Didn't occur to him that it was because he was such a boring teacher. I remember copying endless things off the blackboard, which didn't even pass through my brain.
It all seems quite funny now, and I don't think I was scarred for life. I went on to become a teacher!

grannylyn65 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:15:03

Science teacher wrote 'Tries hard but lacks ability ' sad

jogginggirl Sat 14-Jan-17 20:25:44

'Could do better' ...??

Ginny42 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:28:12

'Produces real nonsense at times.' for religion, because I challenged too much.

LadyGracie Sat 14-Jan-17 20:36:02

If Janis spent as much time listening as she does daydreaming she could go far......
I didn't really!

LadyGracie Sat 14-Jan-17 20:36:45

Go far I mean

Ana Sat 14-Jan-17 20:37:49

No idea, can't remember! I certainly didn't take them with me when I left home nearly 50 years ago...

whitewave Sat 14-Jan-17 20:42:11

"With us in body but not in spirit" grin

Jalima Sat 14-Jan-17 20:45:05

'Her history results owe more to imagination than fact'

Jalima Sat 14-Jan-17 20:45:42

It's something I have never forgotten Ana as I was an avid reader of Jean Plaidy books grin

Lyndylou Sat 14-Jan-17 20:56:31

"Must try harder" seemed to crop up a lot if I remember correctly.

Deedaa Sat 14-Jan-17 21:19:20

I used to lecture DS about how bad his reprts were - then I found my own! Reading them now I realise that my teachers saw very clearly how very little work I ever did. I stayed at the top af the top stream but I was a lovely example of the clever child who concentrates all her efforts on doing as little as possible!

Liaise Sat 14-Jan-17 21:31:13

Must work harder. My favourites were DS2's reports. "This boy will never understand Welsh" and "is there a mouse sleeping at the back of the class".

downtoearth Sat 14-Jan-17 21:32:52

Science with Mr Deeks a bully of first degree... poor and lethargic..his words..
My words.. s**t scared of the man

grumppa Sat 14-Jan-17 21:39:33

"Must curb his tendency to be flippant in his essays." I was rather pleased with that. And it still applies.

merlotgran Sat 14-Jan-17 21:48:10

I had similar, grumppa as well as needing to curb a vivid imagination.

morethan2 Sat 14-Jan-17 22:02:42

Her tongue is mightier than the pen. The teacher must have thought he was rather witty.

Pigglywiggly Sat 14-Jan-17 22:55:29

I also got 'tires of her best in oral work' whatever that means.

Coolgran65 Sun 15-Jan-17 00:52:54

Can do better!!

I sat happily in the middle of the top stream. Was 'up there' in a few subjects that interested me...shorthand, typing and maths and English.. As I did this with no manner of revision it suited me fine ....at the time. Left school at 17.

I do now wish I'd worked harder and considered university but as no one in the family had then been to third level education it wasn't on the cards. Happy to say that my son completed his P.hd at age 26.

cornergran Sun 15-Jan-17 00:58:53

'Too quiet in class'. In every report in the majority of subjects. What they meant was I was terrified of asking questions. Shame no one ever helped me get over it, I would have done so much better and might even have enjoyed school.

mumofmadboys Sun 15-Jan-17 08:07:02

Funniest comment says' Shec must learn to control her exuberance in the cookery class' !!

Anya Sun 15-Jan-17 08:45:46

Geography teacher 'She does well to find her way home!'

Cunco Sun 15-Jan-17 08:48:41

One of my teacher's wrote: 'He has made a promising start.' but his sketchy handwriting read as: 'He has met a promiscuous tart.'

In those days of innocence, it made us smile and still makes me feel that I missed out. smile

Christinefrance Sun 15-Jan-17 08:52:31

One of the more memorable comments on my report was - Christine is a born leader, unfortunately she leads her class in the wrong direction.hmm

morethan2 Sun 15-Jan-17 08:58:35

Cheering me up ? some of them are so witty. Your geography teacher must have felt very smug using that line Anya