Gransnet forums

Chat

Who's the most famous person you've met, and what were they like?

(186 Posts)
Daddima Wed 18-Jan-17 18:56:50

Now, I mean really met, not just seen and maybe said " hello".

I must say I've never met a really famous person, but will recall two friends' stories. One friend went to search for Paul McCartney's Blossom Wood (?) farm in Rye, and met Sir Paul & Linda, who were very charming and welcoming. They were given tea & biscuits, and Linda told her she should always carry a camera. I saw the Polaroid pic taken at the kitchen table.

My other friend was involved in a conversation at work on the " most famous person" topic. She couldn't choose between the Queen and the Pope!
She and her husband are titled people who are big Pro Life workers, and they were invited to Holyrood gigs, as well as a private audience at the Vatican for their Pro Life work.

Ankers Wed 18-Jan-17 19:09:04

I know people who know Ulrika Johnson well. [does that count?]
Apparently she is perfectly fine and normal.

ninathenana Wed 18-Jan-17 19:13:20

I have photos of Kris Akabusi and my children plus H and I taken at the children's primary school when he came for the day for a fundraiser organised by the PTA which H and I were members of.
We had tea and a chat in the staff room after. More of a household name as aplosed to famous though.
H used to deliver Barbara Castle's newspapers as a lad. She would often chat to him.

ninathenana Wed 18-Jan-17 19:14:08

apposed

hildajenniJ Wed 18-Jan-17 19:14:16

My daughter once spent her entire train journey chatting to Mark Owen from Take That. She said he was lovely, and very normal.

Greenfinch Wed 18-Jan-17 19:20:58

I went to the same primary school as Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues.He was in my class and sat directly in front of me.He was very handsome even then and of course he was just one of us.

Daddima Wed 18-Jan-17 19:25:29

I have remembered a wee while " looking after" Sandi Toksvig at the " Aye Write" book festival in Glasgow. She was absolutely charming.

Anniebach Wed 18-Jan-17 19:30:55

Several politicians but that's not fame is it

Salman Rhusdie , we had quite a long chat when he helped me take my shopping to the car

I knew George Melly and his family well

Angharad Rees of Poldark and her husband Christopher

And Mel Gibson said sorry to me when I stepped on his foot , not a conversation but not going to miss a chance to say I met him

Swanny Wed 18-Jan-17 19:43:10

I was kissed by Maurice Gibbs of the BeeGees! We were in Germany and they did a big concert nearby, after which they'd been invited to the British Army military police club to 'unwind'. They were just ordinary guys looking for somewhere safe to relax without hordes of screaming fans around.

My sister has a photo of the Duke of Edinburgh leaning on the back of her chair when he visited her school for some reason.

GrannyA11i Wed 18-Jan-17 19:52:45

Alexander Cox (film director) went to my primary school! Few years ago my elderly mother chatted to Paul McCartney at the Liverpool Tate - I just watched her!!

Grannyknot Wed 18-Jan-17 19:54:40

Richard Osman off-a Pointless.

Claudiaclaws Wed 18-Jan-17 20:02:01

I was taken backstage, and introduced to Brian Rix. The man I was with knew him. Mr. Rix was very charming.

Bellanonna Wed 18-Jan-17 20:11:05

Used to hang about with Delia. Then she became famous.

PoshGran Wed 18-Jan-17 20:14:04

In the late 60s, I was sent to interview Frankie Vaughan for a local student magazine....he was a charming man.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 18-Jan-17 20:18:52

Danced with one of the Drifters in Las Vegas when they asked for a volunteer from the audience, we did the Twist!

On another occasion chatted to Will Young in a queue in Boots at a motorway services, he was so lovely, and very tall.

petra Wed 18-Jan-17 20:24:36

Way back in the 60s I was on my boat and a couple wanted to ask me some questions about the general area. So I invited them onboard for coffee ( not recognising them).
It was only after they had gone that my neighbour told me it was Glenda Jackson and Richard Green ( Robin Hood). They were both charming.
The other one, you wouldn't know his face but you'll know his work. If you've ever seen the film, Cliff Hanger. He was the pilot of the helicopter taking Stallone off the mountain. It's also his company that does all the stunt work on the bond films.
I know him because he bought one of our boats and stayed with us for a few days while the survey was being done, and while he was with us he took a call from Steven Spielberg and jimmy carter ( he wasn't president then) I nearly wet myself with excitement

Ana Wed 18-Jan-17 20:27:49

George Best.

He had a shop in the town where I lived in the 60's (of course he played football as well!) and my friend and I used to go there every Saturday. He was lovely, very charming!

BBbevan Wed 18-Jan-17 20:51:55

Quentin Crisp

He was one of our life models when I was at art school. A highly intelligent, funny,serious and likeable man He could do the Times Crossword faster than anyone else I knew

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Jan-17 21:12:00

I saw Marc Bolan perform at a small local venue when his T-Rex was still Tyrannosaurus Rex. They hit the big time a couple of months later. He and the other member of the duo, Steve Took, came over and chatted to my friend and me - in our matching homemade purple hot pants grin - during the interval and bought us the It girl drink of the time, brandy and Babycham. They were both charming and I was very upset when I heard of his death in his 20s.

I once berated a member of Whitesnake for pushing in at a bar, and he apologised, which impressed my DSIL no end grin.

And as my boss once announced to a packed staff room, I once slept next to Justin Timberlake - he was in the next suite to mine at the Manchester Lowry when I was at a conference, and I had to be sent packing by his bodyguard when I tried to get into his room (purely by accident, you understand). Just move away from the door please, Ma'am.....

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Jan-17 21:16:13

I'm just a very respectable sort of groupie, really.

DanniRae Wed 18-Jan-17 21:18:58

Jo Brand lives near me but she's not very friendly. Jenny Eclair lives around here too and she is friendly and we had a nice chat in Sainsburys, a while ago, about her being on the after show for The Apprentice.

Ana Wed 18-Jan-17 21:20:44

Your post has just reminded me that I slept in the same room (on the floor) as members of the Edgar Broughton Band in the late 60's - probably no one else has ever heard of them! grin

(no funny business went on at all, I hasten to say...)

grannypiper Wed 18-Jan-17 21:24:04

Diana Princess of Wales, just a handshake and a dozen sentences i also met the Sarah Duchess of York and she was stunning her skin looked like fresh peaches ! myself and a neighbour stood in the stairwell of a block of flats with her for about 15 minutes on a bloody freezing cold February morning, just the three of us(her aide and security were having a cuppa. Just 3 Mums chatting

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Jan-17 21:24:47

I've heard of them! I've seen them, at the same local venue. Not slept with them though (or next to them, even) grin

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Jan-17 21:32:30

I have swam with Duncan Goodhew.
Not a race I might add smile