Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else got signs of Spring in their garden yet?

(125 Posts)
Chewbacca Mon 30-Jan-17 22:33:55

Just noticed that, in my tiny garden, I've got half a dozen snowdrops in flower. I'm hoping many more will come through soon though. Crocuses not flowering yet, nor the grape hyacinths but things are "budding up". Anyone further on than me? I'm in the North West England.

MrsEggy Tue 14-Mar-17 19:38:34

Frog and frogspawn in the pond, magpie gathering twigs from hedge,
forsythia in flower, one open flower on camellia, bees on white heather, teenagers going to school in shirtsleeves!

aggie Tue 14-Mar-17 10:30:26

Tulips green but nearly ready to colour here

whitewave Tue 14-Mar-17 10:22:54

Big bumble looking sorry for herself, so given her a toothpick with a drop of honey. She is now in heaven!!

Greyduster Mon 13-Mar-17 18:43:05

I'm pleased to say that we have had a few honeybees this week. We usually get an abundance of bumbles and they are about also, but didn't see many honeybees last year. One unwelcome sign - when we were cleaning the windows today I found a lily beetle. As I have no lilies through yet I can only assume they will be after laying on the snakeshead fritillaries which are about to flower. I shall have to be extra vigilant. The blackthorns in the lanes are flowering well. Hopefully there will be sloes this year; poor showing last year.

rosesarered Mon 13-Mar-17 18:26:08

Yes, we saw a bumblebee Ana just this morning.In the hall this afternoon there was a wasp!Eeek, this may mean we have some overwintering in the loft ( we had them last year.)

Ana Mon 13-Mar-17 18:19:23

I've had either a giant bumblebee or a butterfly in my garden today! I only saw it through the window so I couldn't get a good look at it...

And the forget-me-nots are starting to flower smile

TriciaF Mon 13-Mar-17 18:12:37

Not in the garden, but along the lane where we walked this evening.
Ladies Smock flowers have appeared at last smile Barchadia Umbellata.
Also a few stitchwort, and lots of celandines.

celebgran Sun 12-Mar-17 19:58:41

Shame watermeadow we still get hedghogs regularly late evening

Also see thrushes, blackbirds, lots sparrows and few blue Tits tooo many pigeons and some starlings and ww have robin visitors also, mainly if we digging and they come look for worms,

Chewbacca Sun 12-Mar-17 19:47:38

Beautiful Spring day here today too. We've been to see 1 day old lambs ahhh!, and they were so beautiful. Lots of activity on the canal bank with the ducks and drakes nest building. I've also noticed that all the moss has been torn off the sundial in the garden and couldn't work out why. Then I happened to catch sight of the house sparrows with beaks full of moss. Nice soft comfy beds for their eggs! Daffodils finally beginning to open, although the snowdrops are lingering still. Buds on the camelia look fatter but no where near ready to open yet. A few more days of this sunshine should have us catching up with the rest of you though!

watermeadow Sun 12-Mar-17 19:28:00

I haven't seen a thrush in the garden for at least ten years. When one did appear the plentiful blackbirds mobbed it. I don't get any interesting birds but do have lots of frogs, toads and slow worms. Used to have hedgehogs but sadly rare now.

Jalima Sun 12-Mar-17 14:18:06

Oh, and a thrush sitting in a tree, singing away and another one answering from not too far away.
I hope they were having a prelude to a romance!

Jalima Sun 12-Mar-17 14:17:09

A bumble bee hiding amongst the penstemon I was hacking down. I saw one again today but it could have been the same one.
One flower on the camellia!

Greyduster Sun 12-Mar-17 14:08:04

We have had a few ladybirds on the windows, inside and out! Plants on my rockery are starting to come into flower. It is my favourite part of the garden because I love alpines. I thought I had lost my blue gentians this year, but looking today, there are the tiniest green shoots appearing so I am a happy bunny.

celebgran Sun 12-Mar-17 08:18:53

Our grass been cut but at moment v wet!
We have snowdrops starting die off but gorgeous crocus an daffs out!

Yesterday was gorgeous spring day!

Niobe Sat 11-Mar-17 22:02:23

Our grass had its first cut today!

watermeadow Sat 11-Mar-17 19:02:02

Brimstone butterfly, bee, ladybird, slugs eating the narcissus.
Flowers out: crocus, daffodils, primroses and primulas, grape hyacinths, garden hyacinths just opening and the first forget-me-nots. My sister's camellia but not mine.

goldengirl Fri 10-Mar-17 12:04:51

And lighter evenings too smile

whitewave Fri 10-Mar-17 09:57:14

Frog spawn. Seagulls walking about offering each other twigs and dried grass.

Yesterday a peacock butterfly skimmed past my head when I was walking in the glorious sun.

merlotgran Fri 10-Mar-17 09:56:08

Gardeners World returns tonight. Hurrah!!

Greyduster Fri 10-Mar-17 09:53:24

Three squabbling blackbirds on my honeysuckle hedge this morning - two males and a female! And a couple of wood pigeon billing a cooing on a roof opposite. He was doing his courting utmost but he will have to up his game as she was having none of it. It is that time of year again!

Jalima Thu 09-Mar-17 19:22:50

The frost must have caught my pierises (is that the plural?) which has never happened before so they are going to have to be trimmed and quite a bit cut out. The same has happened to the callistemon.

Jalima Thu 09-Mar-17 19:21:09

It felt very much like Spring today

TriciaF Thu 09-Mar-17 18:16:19

ps also some pieris japonica bushes, which I thought had died.
We have mostly shrubs here.
I tried to grow a typically english flowering border, but the climate and soil just aren't suitable

TriciaF Thu 09-Mar-17 18:10:37

I love hellebores. We have one which has been in flower for about 2 months.
Otherwise not much here, except for the bush of chaenomeles japonica, which has also been in flower for ages.
In our area there are lots of beautiful blossoming trees, especially mimosa, which is very popular here.

Nelliemoser Thu 09-Mar-17 16:28:52

Helleborus, orientalis. "Madame "Lemonnier" Whoever she was.
I think she has other plants to her name.

I only went into the GC to buy some seeds and saw these beauties. I bought two because one on its own would have been lonely.