Gransnet forums

Chat

Home is where.....

(69 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 01-Feb-17 17:09:00

You don't always have to wear a bra.

You can change into your pjs, nightie, dressing gown at tea time.

You can talk to yourself without receiving funny looks from strangers.

You can get a cup of tea or coffee just the way you like it.

Neversaydie Thu 09-Feb-17 17:45:58

Robert Frost ,of course SalmoWas paraphrasing and too lazy to look up
True ?

Judthepud2 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:37:14

Goldengirl your house sounds just like mine ?

whitewave Fri 03-Feb-17 19:04:41

Do any of us comfortable bras???
Shutting the door and be in an oasis of calm.
Where my beloved garden is
Where I can be warm and cozy away from the elements.

Salmo Fri 03-Feb-17 18:58:57

Indeed it is Robert Frost, I didn't know that cassandra264. From "The Death of the Hired Man". I've just googled it. "http://www.bartleby.com/118/3.html
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in. I should have called it something you somehow haven’t to deserve.”

vampirequeen Fri 03-Feb-17 17:54:03

A cat never thinks it's the boss. It knows it's the boss grin

cassandra264 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:45:19

Neversaydie and Salmo- the saying is from the poem by Robert Frost. can't remember the title. I'm going to look it up as I remember it was a very moving piece....

Salmo Fri 03-Feb-17 13:11:26

Home is where..... when you have to go there, they have to take you in

goldengirl Fri 03-Feb-17 12:49:59

Home is where the cats think they're boss!
The GC can leave their stuff
DH can make a [permanent] mess
Chaos reigns
Dust collects
I can gaze out of the window and watch the birds

downtoearth Fri 03-Feb-17 09:47:15

Home is where my heart is after 8 moves in 13 years ,accommodation and home are two very different things...my home is where my family is sunshine

grannypiper Fri 03-Feb-17 07:40:40

Home is house number 17 and i hope not to have a number 18 but have a feeling there will be.

Neversaydie Thu 02-Feb-17 23:46:44

Home is the one place where ,when you turn up,they have to take you in
I forget who said it....

Chewbacca Thu 02-Feb-17 22:48:35

Home is looking at the small things around you, that bring back memories of special people or places and you wouldn't part with for anything.

jacksmum Thu 02-Feb-17 22:45:47

Home is where my dogs are !! lol

Legs55 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:32:44

where I can shout at the tv

turn the air all shades of bluegrin

wear comfortable clothes & no bra (stops me getting fungal infections, great to go without)blush

eat what I want, when I want

go to bed when I want, get up when I want (unless I've got an appointment etc)

my safe place, just me & my cat (sadly no DH now but still lots of happy memories)

cassandra264 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:22:58

'Quiet enjoyment' of (your own) home is a legal term - and anyone who breaches that can be challenged in court. Which is why it is now easier for councils to evict tenants who have made others' lives a misery. Sadly, it is more difficult to deal with home owners' bad behaviour - and if on the receiving end of this, you may have to resort, as we did, to the Environmental Health Department and the police.All well now where we are concerned - but it took a long time.

Because of this, I would now say now- home is where you are safe. Where you and others are not threatened with - or suffer actual - violence. Where your property is not damaged. Where you do not have to live with noise nuisance 24/7. Where your environment is not polluted.

Everything else is a bonus! For me now, the best thing is being able to have friends over, and know they can relax.....smile

Morgana Thu 02-Feb-17 16:56:10

Where I can lick the inside of yoghurt pots!

gillyknits Thu 02-Feb-17 16:28:44

Having moved many times in the first six years of married life (four times). I began to think that home was where my furniture was!
Now it is where my comfy bed and pillow live.

annemac101 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:20:21

I was given a lovely little plaque by my new baby granddaughter (via her mum) it says,
"There's no place like home,except grandma's. It really made my day as we moved Neave them so I could see my granddaughter more.

Yorkshiregel Thu 02-Feb-17 15:59:53

Home is anywhere I can have my family around me. Where I can eat what I enjoy because OH is a great cook, beats going out any day. Home is my garden in summer and by the fire with my laptop and books in winter. Where I can watch what I like on tv and where I do not have to listen to head banging music or whatever the noise that passes for music these days is called. Home is also Yorkshire where my heart is.

Greyduster Thu 02-Feb-17 15:42:34

That's good to hear, jud!

Home is where you can pretend you're a concert pianist and nobody bangs on the wall!

David1968 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:57:15

Home is where you can sit in a happy warm heap and spend as long as you like reading the threads on GransNet!

NanaandGrampy Thu 02-Feb-17 14:08:36

I know Greyduster , worse he's tipped it out and has now fallen asleep on the sofa with me !!

Good news Jud!!!

Judthepud2 Thu 02-Feb-17 13:55:09

Home is soon to be where my little damaged dog is ?

Greyduster Thu 02-Feb-17 13:50:37

Oh no! Lego! ? If you turn your back on it, it is like some alien thing that reproduces itself until you cannot find a piece of floor to put a foot down on - and then it swallows you up!! Tuck Cooper under your arm and run for your life, N&G! grin

NanaandGrampy Thu 02-Feb-17 13:27:19

Kitty it was.... then Cooper arrived !