Gransnet forums

Chat

Have found 'Streetlife' so useful

(102 Posts)
Takingthemick Fri 10-Feb-17 10:30:56

The Streetlife site is finishing and we are asked to move to Nextdoor. When we moved to Hampshire from Kent we found Streetlife invaluable as a source to find good trades people, hairdressers, dentist, exercise classes etc. No one on our local Streetlife seems to like Nextdoor and complain that private information is not protected. It seems crazy to get rid of such a useful web site. Apologies if no one has a clue what I'm on about.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Feb-17 16:07:38

I too have left as it's totally unsafe I live in an area that I would not want to talk to a lot of my neighbours and that's not a snobby reaction it's simply an area that is a bit troubled in parts The importance of Streetlife was talking to people all over the area not just your own street and talking without disclosing your full name and address I certainly don't want my windows put in if I say something someone doesn't like
I m lucky that we have a local website I admin on, that actually went very quiet when SL started but has now had an influx of applications

Pittcity Fri 10-Feb-17 16:09:18

I moved to NextDoor and am reserving judgement.
You do not need to sign up anybody, just press the skip button when a question comes up that you don't want to answer. It is not worth their while running pages for an area that has less than 10 members, so it just means that there must be 10 members for your area in the first couple of weeks.
As for the privacy, you can edit so that your name and street only are shown. These are only visible to verified members in your immediate area. Most of the junk mailers and spammers in my area know more about me than this already.
My local area has been going less than a week and is already filling with neighbourly requests and recommendations just like Streetlife.
As for it only covering a small area you can adjust settings for this too. I can see and contribute to posts in all areas of my large town, but my details are only visible to my immediate neighbours.
It is like everything new, it will take a bit of getting used to and I am sure they will take concerns onboard and changes will be made soon.

Nelliemoser Fri 10-Feb-17 16:09:38

Thank heavens for Gransnets anonimity.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Feb-17 16:10:03

When I joined SL you didn't even have to put any part of your name in it was like here you could call yourself what ever you wanted That seemed to change more recently

Ana Fri 10-Feb-17 16:14:32

Name and street only isn't much different from giving your whole address if it only covers a small area pittcity. You certainly wouldn't be anonymous!

hulahoop Fri 10-Feb-17 16:18:49

Glad I saw this I have been uneasy about giving address even though number can be left off I live in a small immediate area so you could easily work out who people were . I am sorry street life is finishing it was handy to get recommendations and local government nformation ?

tanith Fri 10-Feb-17 16:32:26

I too was concerned that it was going to be way to easy to work out where I lived which is fine if everyone nearby is a nice decent person but living in London even a small area encompasses all kind of neighbour some that you may not want to share those details with. I think its a risk not worth taking..

Lona Fri 10-Feb-17 16:45:22

I'm not too happy about this either, Streetlife was great and very useful. Next door were supposed to send me a postcard with a code to verify my address but suddenly they said that one of my neighbours had verified it! However, none of my neighbours are on it!
I'm not happy.

Pittcity Fri 10-Feb-17 17:01:22

I think everyone is still learning about NextDoor. The local admin is done by people in the neighbourhood and many of them are new too and might have pressed the verify button for you Lona without making any checks. A mistake on their part, but it makes life easy for them.

As for there being no privacy, that is the idea. It is trying to get us back to the time when we knew all our neighbours without having to leave the doors unlocked for them to walk in.

Gransnet is for sounding off anonymously, NextDoor is for asking if anyone can lend you a ladder or telling you that the Scouts are having a Jumble Sale - a completely different kettle of cucumbers!

I have reservations about NextDoor but it has been running successfully in parts of the UK for a long time. It is just the merger with Streetlife that has not been handled well.

Desdemona Fri 10-Feb-17 17:11:29

I have been a regular user of Streetlife too, and am sad it is going. I signed up for Nextdoor but when I discovered it showed my name and address I deactivated the account immediately. On Streetlife I didn't use my real name, and they didn't display your address either!

There is an option to remove your house number, but the map on the site shows members houses in green and non members in red, so it is very easy to work out a members actual address without too much trouble.

Maybe they might bow to pressure eventually to give people the opportunity to be anonymous, until then I won't use it, sadly. There is too much opportunity for unscrupulous people to get information you would rather they didn't have - asking for a good kennels because you are going away for example - takes on a whole new significance when people know your address. I know members need to be "verified" but Nextdoor don't know if they are criminals or not!

Ana Fri 10-Feb-17 17:12:46

Presumably anyone can read it though, without having to become a member?

So the local (or not so local) burglar could suss out which are vulnerable residents or who's going on holiday and when?

Pittcity Fri 10-Feb-17 17:22:30

No Ana NextDoor conversations are not visible to non members and are not searchable on Google etc. Conversations on Streetlife were public and searchable, so more open to unscrupulous people.

tanith Fri 10-Feb-17 17:26:16

That maybe so Pittcity but no one on Streetlife knew who or where you are that's the whole point.

Desdemona Fri 10-Feb-17 17:31:30

But the difference with Streetlife was that you didn't need to be identified, so information was of less use to anyone with bad intent. Also, just because someone joins Nextdoor, it doesnt mean that they, or someone that shares their house is totally honest.

Maybe I am just too much of a worrier and should "go with the flow."hmm

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Feb-17 17:32:30

I had only just 'verified' myself on Streetlife so it seemed a bit weird to have been given 10 days notice that Streetlife is to finish. What I didn't like was that the verification process gave the option of postal - or using your credit card details. Give them your credit card details and they'll check you're genuine with your bank. As if!

I have changed to Nextdoor and will give it a go. I'm not particularly bothered about who knows where I live. That's easy enough to find out anyway. But I didn't like having to give a neighbours email address before progressing the change over so just gave a friends email who's on Streetlife already so nothing will be gained there. I skipped the bit about providing 10 more names. If it's about empire building I don't want to know. I'll be careful with how I use it.

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Feb-17 17:41:55

I have just changed my profile to remove my house number, but the map is pretty accurate!

Moocow Fri 10-Feb-17 18:35:01

Really glad you started this takingthemick

I have been wondering about moving but now have decided for sure it's not for me. In my area, there was very little worth reading and any recommendations were never repeated so I was left assuming that people didn't use those recommended, or didn't rate them.

cornergran Fri 10-Feb-17 19:04:29

Decided it's not for me. Or not now. If privacy is more assured in future I will join then as I've loved Streetlife and found it so helpful.

Lona Fri 10-Feb-17 19:11:55

Nfk I didn't have to give a neighbours email, or provide ten names! Seems odd that it isn't the same rules for every area.

seacliff Fri 10-Feb-17 19:22:38

I want to leave Streetlife now, and NOT go to Next door, as I'm not happy with it. However I can't find a way to cancel my account without going into Next door.Has anyone else been able to?

BlueBelle Fri 10-Feb-17 19:25:59

Pittcity fine if you live in a pretty little cul de sac with lots of lovely people ( although surely then you just knock on their door) what if you live in an area that encompasses drug dealers , bed sits, and 'I m never going to work' folk along with nice family types would you then want them to identify you and your house The difference in real life is you wouldn't knock on the doors Of the people you wanted in your life and avoid any others but with this system you would have no choice

Round here they d ask to borrow a ladder then get in your open upstairs window LOL

BlueBelle Fri 10-Feb-17 19:29:18

Can't do edit so that should read in real life you WOULD knock on doors of those you want to know

tanith Fri 10-Feb-17 19:40:29

seacliffe at the top of the Streetlife page on the right click on your name and go into your account settings then right at the bottom under your address it says

Streetlife not for you? Close Account.

gangy5 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:49:03

I liked Streetlife and resent having to change - so am not doing so!

trendygran Fri 10-Feb-17 20:07:38

I am also saddened that Streetlife has been taken over and am not at all happy
about NEXTDOOR as goes for several people I know. I have terminated my very brief account with NEXT DOOR and think that many more people will do the same from comments already heard online and by talking to local friends. A great shame because Streetlife was a valuable and useful site.