Gransnet forums

Chat

What to eat

(57 Posts)
Sar53 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:04:48

I have been with my OH for 9 years, love him to pieces, but the one thing on which we don't agree, and have the most 'words' over is what to eat.
He is very much a meat and two veg man, and everything has to have gravy. If I make a Shepherds Pie it has to be swimming in gravy, Lasagne cannot be dry. He will eat pasta occasionally under duress, only really likes red meat, will sometimes have chicken. He likes fish but it has to have a sauce.
I eat very little meat so often make him a meal and I have a jacket potato, which he won't eat. He is not a great lover of rice either.
I really struggle with what to give him each day and it is mainly chops, lamb and pork, lasagna, casserole. He likes offal, liver, hearts, kidneys, I cannot stand the smell let alone cook them.
He expects me to cook as I am at home and he is still working but I get so fed up with thinking of something different.
Does anyone else live with someone who is so set in his ways when it comes to food and does anyone have some ideas of different things I could cook.
I should say I used to cook and bake when my girls were at home, many moons ago, but I lived on my own for some time and got out of the habit. I don't enjoy it anymore but needs must.

mizzmelli Wed 15-Feb-17 03:48:30

It would drive me quite mad to be fair! The only thing I can suggest is make loads of a big batch so he can microwave them. And if he does not like that idea, I would say MAKE YOUR OWN! XX

Witzend Wed 15-Feb-17 08:19:05

Having had a couple of friends whose husbands would only eat Proper English - meat with mash and peas, etc., I used to be under the illusion that it was only Brit men who were like this, until dd had a long term Italian boyfriend who would only eat Italian. They were living and working in SE Asia at the time, and he wouldn't eat any of the lovely food, and nor would any of the other 5 Italians they shared a house with! And Italian food locally was understandably very limited.

She did eventually get him to be much more adventurous, but it was something of an eye opener for both her and me.
She later married an utterly un-fussy bloke, like her dad.

Riverwalk Wed 15-Feb-17 08:32:39

Violette I really don't understand why you put up with such behaviour!

It reinforces my opinion that this sort of thing can't always be blamed on illness or medication - your husband was like this from the beginning and you were warned that he was a bully before you married him.

Judthepud2 Wed 15-Feb-17 10:58:45

My suggestion is not to give him anything different. If he hasn't changed in all these years, he's hardly going to now. Don't expend energy thinking of variety. I know what you mean by the tedium of having to think of and cook a meal every day!

Mykuppatea Wed 15-Feb-17 11:34:40

How about getting hubby to cook his own meal from scratch. I couldn't see my dad doing it but who knows?! My mum has daily problem with my dad. She has home cooked for 59 years! And is fed up with it. He insists on his dinner being roasting hot with pepper and or sauce, then tends to piffle about with it and leave it. My mum now eats out at pub venues being a jazz fundie three times a week and if dad wants home food he has to put in a frozen meal for himself. He likes to pick between meals with biscuits. Very bad

NonnaW Wed 15-Feb-17 12:14:11

If the OP's husband is allergic to garlic, ready meals are probably no good as most contain garlic in some form.